Overlanding Camper Build Thread

Wow! Super project!
Thanks for showing us your build.
It’s enlightening to watch others ideas take shape.

I’m toying with the idea of building some type of overland trailer someday. Threads like this get my creative juices going! 😸

Reactions: WLDRIDE and Wildman
Nice work! That’s a great size for 2.
What did you use for the front panels?
What’s it weigh now?
The curved front is 1/8" Baltic Birch that comes in 5'x5' sheets. It was perfect for a 5' wide trailer and it's the only thing I could find that I could bend around that 18" radius. I did two layers, though, with lots of glue between them. It's super strong and stiff.

That white panel on the front is a piece of 1/8" fiberglass reinforced panel. It's there to act as a rock guard, although, once I had attached the cargo box I wasn't sure that I really needed to have added that.

I don't know what it weighs now. I'm hoping to put it on a scale once it's finished.

Last edited:
Mud flaps trimmed to size and installed. Wood floor installed; seams glued and curing. Final layer on the floor will be a low pile indoor/outdoor carpet of some kind. I'll also put deck sealer on the wood floor before I put down the carpet.

Mud Flaps.jpg

Wood Floor.jpg

Excellent job!
Thank’s for such a detailed write up

Last edited:
Installed the carpet:
Carpeting.jpg

Finished the floor vents. There is one in each front corner. This will allow us to get fresh air right by our heads when we're sleeping, and also give us a way to bring in an electrical cord or a propane hose for a Mr. Buddy heater:
Floor Vents.jpg

And I finished the shelves in the back. My wife laughed at me when she came out and caught me measuring the height of a beer bottle:
Shelves.jpg

I love it! I have pie in the sky dreams of building an overlanding trailer of some sorts. I like the sleeper trailer ideas for a few reasons. 1) RTT are stupidly expensive and not very roomy. 2) I like the idea of pulling into camp somewhere remote late at night and just crawling into bed without any real setup. 3) I also like the idea of a trailer where you can pack all of your camping equipment in the trailer so you can basically hitch and go after your week's work comes to an end. I hate having to dig all my camping stuff out of storage when planning to go camping even for a weekend.

I like how you designed your trailer. I suggest keeping up with the details as it inspires the rest of us.

Cheers

Reactions: Bud125
I love it! I have pie in the sky dreams of building an overlanding trailer of some sorts. I like the sleeper trailer ideas for a few reasons. 1) RTT are stupidly expensive and not very roomy. 2) I like the idea of pulling into camp somewhere remote late at night and just crawling into bed without any real setup. 3) I also like the idea of a trailer where you can pack all of your camping equipment in the trailer so you can basically hitch and go after your week's work comes to an end. I hate having to dig all my camping stuff out of storage when planning to go camping even for a weekend.

I like how you designed your trailer. I suggest keeping up with the details as it inspires the rest of us.

Cheers
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I'm building this trailer for the way I know I'll use it. It's been fun building it custom to exactly what I want.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Hitched it to the TJ for the first time today and took it to a level parking lot to adjust the hitch height.

The camper is the exact same height and width as the TJ and has the same ground clearance under the axle as the TJ.

My son and I are planning to pull it up into the mountains and camp for three days and two nights at the end of January (next weekend). We'll be at about 9,000' elevation. Lots of little details left to do this week to make it comfortable and functional.

Adjusting Hitch.jpg

Adjusting Hitch 2.jpg

Great job! A trailer is on my list once the Jeep is up to snuff.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
Hitched it to the TJ for the first time today and took it to a level parking lot to adjust the hitch height.

The camper is the exact same height and width as the TJ and has the same ground clearance under the axle as the TJ.

My son and I are planning to pull it up into the mountains and camp for three days and two nights at the end of January (next weekend). We'll be at about 9,000' elevation. Lots of little details left to do this week to make it comfortable and functional.

View attachment 220433

View attachment 220435
Man that is cool

Reactions: WLDRIDE