Jeep pulls to the right, help!

CodaMan

California Escapee
Supporting Member
My Jeep has been pulling to the right since I got it in May. It pulls pretty hard right. I tried swapping tires around with no help. It needed brakes so I took care of that, still pulls right, so it's not brakes. A couple of the tie-rod ends looked pretty bad, so I upgraded the steering to ZJ steering with all new parts, still pulls right. What else should I be looking at and are there any measurements I can make to ensure everything is square?

You mentioned you upgraded the steering. I'd double check the front end alignment.

Shaking in steering wheel usually means the tires need balancing,

Pulling to the right or left usually means you need an alignment done.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Tj04
You mentioned you upgraded the steering. I'd double check the front end alignment.

Shaking in steering wheel usually means the tires need balancing,

Pulling to the right or left usually means you need an alignment done.
But unless the wheels are really out of alignment to the point you can often look at the front tires and see it, it shouldn't pull HARD to the right. But Eveyones got a differnt idea of "hard" for steering pulling.

Yeah do what lovemachine says get an aligmemt and have them check all your steering components before you just start replacing things. If it really is pulling hard I wouldn't set toe in yourself just take it somewhere. My local place only charges $40 bucks so I just say "eff it" and normally have them do it.

It's been aligned 3 times, twice by a shop and once by me. It is currently set with 1/8" of toe in.

Tire balance in not the issue, but I was thinking it's a control arm issue. Would you recommend doing control arm bushings or replace the arms since they'll be off anyway?

I'd just buy some adjustable ones. I'm incredibly happy with my Core 4x4 arms with Currie Jonny Joints. Super super beefy and unlimited lifetime warrenty.

Don't bother with the bushings they are more work and as expensive as replacing the arms. Frankly, I think, if your bothering to replace it why not put something better that allows caster adjustment during aligmemt? My jeep rides very nice with the adjustable arms.

Last edited:
I'd just buy some adjustable ones. I'm incredibly happy with my Core 4x4 arms with Currie Jonny Joints. Super super beefy and unlimited lifetime warrenty.

Don't bother with the bushings they are more work and as expensive as replacing the arms. Frankly, I think, if your bothering to replace it why not put something better that allows caster adjustment during aligmemt? My jeep rides very nice with the adjustable arms.

You do uppers and lowers?

I am going to do uppers soon as well, if you have the money and time get them all at once. Honestly look into Core 4x4 tier 3 control arms for a TJ. At some point I am going to write a good review for them since there isn't much out there on them. 100% full blown lifetime warranty. You break it they replace it. Their customer service is incredible. I spent quite some time deciding what arms to buy snd exchanged many emails. They responded within minutes almost always and I will put money down these are more durable than most of the control arms out there. You also can get way more misaligment with them. I'm also a big fan of forged Jonny joints. They are super beefy and I have no doubt they will take a serious beating and I'm sure they will outlast the jeep itself. They only sell on eBay I think, and they are a small shop out of CO, made here in the USA. Honestly this sounds like I'm pushing a product but I'm not. I was iffy on them and I was so happy with them when I got them. They seem stronger than my friends metalcloaks which is the other brand is was torn between but I liked the angled arms a lot. Lemme know if I can be of any other help. And the bushings are replaceable with these.

Mine are orange :)

Otherwise look Into the metal cloaks and I belive it was iron rock off-road? All seem like super stand up brands that make good stuff!

The lowers alone should fix pulling im sure. Or the uppers. But it seems lowers give a bit more caster adjustment from my research. You don't necessarily need both right away. Lowers were more visible to me and I wanted something to actually look different for the $$$$ I've put into this Jeep.

Last edited:
With only a 2.5" spring lift I wouldn't think adjustable control arms would be required. Didn't on my last TJ anyway.

Not required. But most of them work from 0-6/8 inches of lift. I guess I don't see why anyone wouldn't bother especially if you have to replace them anyway. They won't get knocked out of caster unless you tore off a mount basically unless you bent an axelshaft or tube or something.

Isn't caster supposed to change with every inch of lift?
Have you asked the shop what They think you should do?

Take measurements of the wheel base on both sides. Check front and rear brakes for anything sticking or hanging up. Carefully look over the frame and arms for anything out of ordinary. Inspect control arm bushings.

Let us know what you find.