Jeep Re-gear Vibrations

How much is a new one?

I just had my '94 landcruiser shafts serviced with new joints, grease, balance, and cleaned and painted for $150 and they are 30 years old. My Tacoma has a knack for candy caning the rear shaft (hits rocks) and I would have it rebuilt (cut, weld new tube, balanced, etc) and that was usually $300.

Costs vary of course but don't be afraid to run the old ones if serviced correctly.

What shop do you use?

I also noticed that I can jiggle / move slightly the transmission within its mount. Not sure thats normal? should I not be able to move it sideways?

Not sure, I haven't tried that on either of mine so I can't give you a point of reference. Good job troubleshooting further though, it should help you to get some answers from someone better versed than I am.

Reactions: catbones2010
Not sure, I haven't tried that on either of mine so I can't give you a point of reference. Good job troubleshooting further though, it should help you to get some answers from someone better versed than I am.

Well, trans and engine mounts on the way, rubber not that plastic junk either... we will see if that changes anything. If there's not even slight change, front DS first.

Reactions: deadbeat son
Well, trans and engine mounts on the way, rubber not that plastic junk either... we will see if that changes anything. If there's not even slight change, front DS first.

I have read on here that the Anchor brand trans mount is a good alternative to the OEM Mopar. I don't know about any other brands. Best of luck in your troubleshooting though!

-How much play is in the front transfercase output? Pinion?
No play in the pinion, I think I see a little bit of play in the front output shaft at the transfercase, but very very little if anything

-have you tried rotating the pinion both ways to see if the vibration disappears?
Yes, did that as well.

I've noticed that I got slight play in the rear ujoint, but very very little if any. However, I can also jiggle or move the transfercase / transmission a bit left/right looking at the transmission mount/rubber. Not sure there should be any play within that. Got to say I also got quite a bit of drone sound at a stop idling in the cab from the engine, maybe transmission mount rubber is done or engine mounts too but that's not related, well at least not engine mounts, transmission mount maybe. I don't know I guess how much play there is with a new transmission mount, I'm guessing its not super stiff either.

You could replace your mounts to firm them up a bit but i doubt its part of the issue.

The tcase yoke sounds ok from your description.

To be clear you adjusted caster back and forth with no change?

Heres another thing to check- how much play in the splines of the driveshaft slip when you wiggle it sideways? They wear and get sloppy too

I have read on here that the Anchor brand trans mount is a good alternative to the OEM Mopar. I don't know about any other brands. Best of luck in your troubleshooting though!

Thanks! Got the hub kit but I'll do everything I can to keep this thing at stock in 4x4 functionality.

You could replace your mounts to firm them up a bit but i doubt its part of the issue.

The tcase yoke sounds ok from your description.

To be clear you adjusted caster back and forth with no change?

Heres another thing to check- how much play in the splines of the driveshaft slip when you wiggle it sideways? They wear and get sloppy too

Right, no probably not part of the issue even though if driveshaft front and rear are not balanced or they are fighting each other because rear is fine but front isn't, maybe they get into the crazy motion between each other and me able to wiggle the transfercase / trans left to right, probably isn't helping. No up and down, but left to right movement so slightly. Not sure, I don't think I'm using that much force to wiggle it noticibly if that makes sense.

As for the caster, I'm told I should worry more about the pinion and driveshaft angles. When I've had the pinion at 5, and driveshaft at 4, had vibrations... switch it like opposite, I've had vibrations plus wheel shimmy the faster I went so that's not it. Went back to 5 on pinion and 4.5 like it was smooth as butter with 3.73.

One thing I will say, and as I said it in my initial post. I did 80-85 or so on the thruway and you could tell the engine was working, the 33 inch tires were moving, very similar shake if I remember correctly. Obviously, 5.13s and 33s, I'm doing 85 at 65 now. Not surprised. So maybe I'm not having the issue of the harmonic sound, vibration like everyone else is, I'm just having some thing that did it also at 80-85, doing it now since its really 85, at 65. If that makes sense too.

There is no play in the splines, from what I can tell with the boot on. Plenty of weights from factory on that driveshaft, wonder if they had hard time balancing it. Its got like 3 on there, 1 on one end, and 2 on another one.

Reactions: Rickyd