Jeep TJ axle upgrades to Dana 44

fiirechief467

Supporting Member
After much searching my latest approach to my TJ high gear problems (3.07 gears w/33 tires) is to swap both front (Dana 30) & rear (Dana 35) for available Dana 44 with 4.10 gears from a Wagoneer. My thoughts are to clean up both axles (drain & inspect lube, inspect gear wear, replace axle bearings & seals, replace pinion seal), build out rear brakes with disc, new front axle u joints, and new locking hubs.

For consideration: front & rear hubs are 6 lug and my 3 year old Mickey Thompson alloy wheels are 5 lug. Adapters or change the rear axles? Are chromalloy axles worth the price or should I look for 5 lug stock axles in the junkyard? Assuming the R&P are in good shape, is there a locker that will use the old 4.10 gears instead of buying new?

I suppose if I change to the locking front axle I can add the 5 lug hub as well?

Still in the planning stage with little investment at this time. Your experience and knowledge are appreciated.

Honestly if you are only planning on 33s/35s forget the wagoneer axles and just get a Ford 8.8 for the rear and call it a day. With chromoly axles in the front, the Dana 30 is good for 35"s and if you are really itching to swap it, just get a 4.10 high pinion Dana 30 out of a Cherokee as this is stronger than the low pinion in the wrangler. The Ford 8.8 comes with disc brakes after 1996, is just a little narrower than the Dana 35, and can be built much stronger than the Dana 35. All depends on what you want out of your wrangler