jkowitz Build Thread

Curious as to what direction he will go for 35’s? Will he reach out to Savvy?
t
I was reading some comments and someone suggested Savvy, the reply was no. They use a lot of vehicle dynamics suspension normally but they don't do TJ stuff at this point. I'm not a fan of the rack and RTT but going by my daughters partners vehicle (and his friends vehicles) everyone needs a RTT nowadays, maybe I'm just too old school.

They'd be getting some stuff gratis, discounts on other stuff and purchasing some themselves. Obviously they have a great relationship with KC lights and good on them for it.

On my own channel I've started being offered a few items and taking the line, If there's something I'd buy myself great but otherwise no thanks. I'm also at a point in my life that I'm build for myself and it would do my head in by not having items that I choose on my vehicle.

I’d hope they would show how the soft top comes down in conjunction with the gobi rack and how easy/difficult it is

t
I was reading some comments and someone suggested Savvy, the reply was no. They use a lot of vehicle dynamics suspension normally but they don't do TJ stuff at this point. I'm not a fan of the rack and RTT but going by my daughters partners vehicle (and his friends vehicles) everyone needs a RTT nowadays, maybe I'm just too old school.

They'd be getting some stuff gratis, discounts on other stuff and purchasing some themselves. Obviously they have a great relationship with KC lights and good on them for it.

On my own channel I've started being offered a few items and taking the line, If there's something I'd buy myself great but otherwise no thanks. I'm also at a point in my life that I'm build for myself and it would do my head in by not having items that I choose on my vehicle.

Once you sleep in a RTT, you get it. I personally would not put one on a my TJ, but old bones like the comfort and warmth of a RTT.

Personally, I would have skipped the Gobi rack and did a small off-road trailer like a M416 which pulls so nice behind a TJ and put the tent there.

It’s what I did and I’m happy with the results. A trailer isn’t always ideal and I get he is losing his back seat for storage, but a trailer really opens up multiple day camping out of a TJ with comfort.

Once you sleep in a RTT, you get it. I personally would not put one on a my TJ, but old bones like the comfort and warmth of a RTT.

Personally, I would have skipped the Gobi rack and did a small off-road trailer like a M416 which pulls so nice behind a TJ and put the tent there.

It’s what I did and I’m happy with the results. A trailer isn’t always ideal and I get he is losing his back seat for storage, but a trailer really opens up multiple day camping out of a TJ with comfort.

There's been a few awesome trailer builds posted here, and that is the direction I would go with a TJ/LJ for most trips with a base camp - there seems to be little downside since for some point to point trips you could run a tent without much issue.

Mostly unrelated, but he released a video tonight and I noticed the bump stops, this seems fairly unfortunate (though gauging on video is hard and I don't know JKs very well, that uptravel looks less than ideal):

1586575711493.jpeg

Reactions: Rick Flair
There's been a few awesome trailer builds posted here, and that is the direction I would go with a TJ/LJ for most trips with a base camp - there seems to be little downside since for some point to point trips you could run a tent without much issue.

Mostly unrelated, but he released a video tonight and I noticed the bump stops, this seems fairly unfortunate (though gauging on video is hard and I don't know JKs very well, that uptravel looks less than ideal):

View attachment 151754

Yes sir! And cool part of the trailer is you get to mod it to your needs! I should have done a build thread on mine, but it’s nothing special or hasn’t been done. I’m currently finishing my tongue and box, then paint.

And, back in topic....it’s too bad to see Icon under his Jeep.

I dislike Icon. Lots of Toyota guys love that company (I am a Toyota guy too) but their products are over priced and you can do better. I wouldn’t run it on my Toyota (I love my Dobinsons) and I’d rather go Fox or even King over Icon.

Bleh.

I wouldn’t run it on my Toyota (I love my Dobinsons)

All my toyo friends ask me if I am going to run Dobinsons under my jeep, AFAIK they aren't a good fit for the platform (do they even make TJ specific components?) but have heard nothing but positive things about those from those I trust in the toyo world.

Reactions: Rick Flair
All my toyo friends ask me if I am going to run Dobinsons under my jeep, AFAIK they aren't a good fit for the platform (do they even make TJ specific components?) but have heard nothing but positive things about those from those I trust in the toyo world.

Honestly, I don’t know anything about their Jeep products. They are old school Aussie brand, think OME competition and some argue they spring/valve too stiff for our rigs. Our Toyota is a heavy, overland rig. It’s rides nice.

I run fox stuff for the TJ.

I’d give Mike a call @dobinsonsusa and ask some questions.

Reactions: rasband

View attachment 151754
Once the pad meets the air bump, it still has some up travel left in it. Air bumps are a little different than the factory type OEM jounce bumps.

All we can do is speculate and guess, but it appears that Just between the landing and the air bump, there is about 3-4 inches, no?

was reading some comments and someone suggested Savvy, the reply was no.
Well, are we placing bets on what [questionable] SL brand he will go with to meet his 35 inch tire goal? @Andy G ?

Are we placing bets on yes/no for the re-gear once he adds, even as little as another inch of tire?

Has anyone heard them mention checking the bumps and steering stops? The tires look bigger than stock, but no lift...

Last edited:
Hey just found this thread! Sorry I don't get on here much, I've been busy the last few weeks. I see a lot of different views and opinions on the build and I honestly like the input everyone has chipped in. To answer a few questions I've seen: I've paid for about everything we have installed on the Jeep so far besides the KC lights, yes I plan on going 35's and i don't expect it to drive perfect without putting some work into it, for the lift I ended up going with something a little more cost effective for the mean time but am very interested in the savvy suspensions. I'm very excited to build up my TJ as I've been dreaming about it for so long. I'll definitely be coming here for some advice I'll need in the future!!

Hey just found this thread! Sorry I don't get on here much, I've been busy the last few weeks. I see a lot of different views and opinions on the build and I honestly like the input everyone has chipped in. To answer a few questions I've seen: I've paid for about everything we have installed on the Jeep so far besides the KC lights, yes I plan on going 35's and i don't expect it to drive perfect without putting some work into it, for the lift I ended up going with something a little more cost effective for the mean time but am very interested in the savvy suspensions. I'm very excited to build up my TJ as I've been dreaming about it for so long. I'll definitely be coming here for some advice I'll need in the future!!
Welcome aboard. Looking forward to watching the progress.

Great find on the TJR. Enjoying the videos so far. If it wouldn’t compete with channel, and you have time, would be cool if start a build thread on this forum.

Yes, welcome aboard, I’ve always enjoyed your dads videos and glad to see a TJ in the family.