JKs: Things you dislike about them

When we looked at them last year JK's from 2007-2009 with 100K miles were running 21K-23K, unless they had obvious problems. I thought, that's crazy for the 3.8v. I heard that engine is leaking oil at 35,000, right when the warranty wears off. Adios...

When we looked at them last year JK's from 2007-2009 with 100K miles were running 21K-23K, unless they had obvious problems. I thought, that's crazy for the 3.8v. I heard that engine is leaking oil at 35,000, right when the warranty wears off. Adios...

Yeah that's why we started with 2012+. The 3.6 Penastar is a much better engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: StG58 and JMT
Yeah, I was looking at the prices for them as well. A used 2012 JKU Rubicon was about 37k. A brand new 2016 JKU Rubicon was about 41k. Why on earth would I not just pay 4k more and get a brand new one with 0 miles? Why would you pay 4k less and get one that is 5 years old, with 80k miles or so on it? Just makes more sense to pay the 4k more if you ask me.
One of the biggest Jeep dealerships in Portland had exactly two new JK's on the lot when we found the wife's JKU. Two. (Both were shyte) They were not expecting the next shipment of Wranglers for another week and a half. They told us that it has been that way for awhile, too. They suggested that if we wanted a new one, configured the way we wanted, to order one and wait for it to arrive. I didn't ask how long that would take, or how much it would cost. If you want a Special Edition, like a Willys or a Hard Rock, good luck. They are sold before they arrive. Interesting TJ's and JK's go for about what they sold for new around here many times if they are in good shape, unmolested, and have low miles. Wranglers and Subarus are the unofficial state vehicle, it seems.

One of the biggest Jeep dealerships in Portland had exactly two new JK's on the lot when we found the wife's JKU. Two. (Both were shyte) They were not expecting the next shipment of Wranglers for another week and a half. They told us that it has been that way for awhile, too. They suggested that if we wanted a new one, configured the way we wanted, to order one and wait for it to arrive. I didn't ask how long that would take, or how much it would cost. If you want a Special Edition, like a Willys or a Hard Rock, good luck. They are sold before they arrive. Interesting TJ's and JK's go for about what they sold for new around here many times if they are in good shape, unmolested, and have low miles. Wranglers and Subarus are the unofficial state vehicle, it seems.

Yeah we factory ordered the Willys with manual transmission and roll up windows. It took 9 weeks to take delivery.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Yeah that's why we started with 2012+. The 3.6 Penastar is a much better engine.

Make sure to pick up the repair kit for the oil filter bypass valve for the Pentastar engine. The valve is notorious for failing at oil change and MOPAR doesn't have a repair that doesn't cost $1,000. Dorman P/N 917-992, about $20 online. Five minute fix if you have the part. Two weeks if you don't.

Last edited:
What's not to hate?
Our 12 jku doesn't leak fluids so I keep check'n things to see if stuff is empty, easy to tell on my tj.
She won't let me drive it cause it handles well, that's what's great about my TJ, its so sketchy in the wind she's scared of that one.
The JKU it's to snappy too, why anyone has to be in such a hurry anyway, speed limits 55 here, that doesn't mean the TJ has to be in any kinda rush to get to 55.
:) :) :)

Many of the 3.8 have defective blocks where the cylinders were not perfectly round, due to worn out tooling, during manufacture. The result is, extremely high oil consumption of the recommended 5w20 oil. For years Chrysler has known about this issue effecting hundreds of thousands of engines in their minivans and Jeeps, but has denied it, as it would cost them billions to replace the effected ones.
It's not an improvement over the inline 4.0 because of the peak torque coming in high in the RPM range

Reactions: Chris and FTI76
Its a bad trip! Because yes, when I was looking for a used one, the new ones where only a couple thousand more. Plus the incentive of a longer warranty and 'brand new smell' but bump that. If Im dropping more than 28k, it has to be to my liking 150%. And I just know myself, I'd keep buying more and more add-ons lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and FTI76
Lol! You ain't kiddin'
Sorry they just rub me the wrong way. not friendly at all stuck up in a big way and this seams to be what rhere all about
5b4e50264aecb2f03eeb4c83cbc31430.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
Ordered a 2007 JK Rubicon in 2006 when they first came out:
DSCN0042.jpg
DSCF0314.jpg

It's easy to get used to the size and comfort of them, I'll have to say. Mine had some computer glitches that left me stranded, but overall it was pretty reliable. Just never could get over the looks of that grille and those fenders. They were a lot more affordable in 2006 - I paid $28.5k for it new.

Ordered a 2007 JK Rubicon in 2006 when they first came out:
View attachment 12863View attachment 12864
It's easy to get used to the size and comfort of them, I'll have to say. Mine had some computer glitches that left me stranded, but overall it was pretty reliable. Just never could get over the looks of that grille and those fenders. They were a lot more affordable in 2006 - I paid $28.5k for it new.
I actually like the look of your jeep. Not overdone and looks very capable. Nice job!

Reactions: fourpointzero
I take offense to the blanket condemnation of JKU owners. I got mine because I wanted to (and do) use it to go up into the north Idaho mountains, prospecting/mining. And I hadn’t had a new car since 1980, and every five years I watch my husband get a brand-spanking-new truck for work (he puts a lot of miles on them), and I wanted, for once, something new. And my payments on my brand new 2015 JKU are just $570 – not $800. And I am not a snooty, stuck-up mall-crawler – haven’t been in a shopping mall for at least ten years. My 2015 JKU is full of dirt from hauling home ten buckets of maybe-there’s-gold-in-it dirt for processing every week, sometimes twice a week, and it’s usually covered in mud, and I don’t care – it’s a jeep! I’m 60 yrs old, too old to be under the jeep fixing things myself, and I like the push-button axle locks and sway bar disconnect (and use them a lot).

I have always appreciated being allowed to participate here because some of you are so very helpful and full of great information – and I’m not leaving – but I bristle at the blanket dislike of JK and JKU owners. Stepping off my soapbox now, thank you for listening.

I agree with you Akajam. I have a TJ that I bought as a project. I would not try to do the same on a JK due to the complexity. That said, my son and several of his friends have JKs that they use off road a great deal. They are very capable and reliable. The negativity of this thread bothers me too.