JKUR suspension on a 2.4 L TJ

N

natsuki harvey

hi i have a '04 TJ with a 2.4 liter and i need new springs and new shocks.

initially i was going to get the new fox adventure or the new falcon but then came the cost of both of them and thats just for shocks...

i few months ago i came across a facebook post that was about JKUR suspension components going on to a TJ he did not elaborate on this nor did he post anything but recently it has gotten my attention to do the same.

things that ill be changing are
1. procomp 2 inch budget boosters
2. stock springs (jeep has 213k miles)

things going in
1. JKUR springs preferrably 19/60 which i believe are the stiffest(most lift)
2. red JKUR shocks

few concerns i have
1. front sags: a lot of forums say that the front will sag but with my lighter 2.4 im wondering if it will or not
2. excessive rear lift: i dont want too much lift to the point where i need other components to make it work im on a very tight budget...
3. ride quality: right now i hate going through speed bumps i can feel the jeep jump as i land on my rear tires mainly
4. stiffer springs=stiffer ride?: im trying to stay away from a stiffer rear end if i get JKUR 19/60 which is the stiffest springs theyve made(i think): Will it make my jeep super stiff like it was before

please if anyone knows of another who has done this change/mod please tag them or contact me i would like to know specific details....

Went down this road with a 2003 TJ X a couple years ago. I wanted to give the TJ a bit of a lift, I thought, with JKUR springs, just as you are describing. I actually found a set of springs & shocks from a JKUR hard top Jeep with towing package, which would have been the stiffest springs available on any JK. The owner actually gave them to me, so I thought 'Golden!'.

Well, turns out it's only half true. The rear springs will give you decent lift, as they are taller, and have a higher spring rate, I believe. I don't have any hard evidence on the spring rate, though, that would take some research. Anyway, I didn't care, the springs were free!. The rear springs that give the lift won't work as is though. The top coil is too small, and has to be opened up in order for them to seat on the upper TJ rear spring seat. I had a shop do that, so no big deal, a bit of a cost for that.

On to the front. I put the JKUR front springs up next to my 13 year old TJ X front springs, and what? they were shorter...what the the heck??!! Maybe they had a higher spring rate, but I could not see how I was going to get any lift out of those. Luckily, I had some Old Man Emu front JK springs that I had put on a previously owned JKR, and kept when I sold it, so what the heck, let's try those. In case you might think I was smoking something and unclear of the facts, here is a visual comparison of the springs:

Rear, TJ on the left, JKUR on the right, you can see why the lift:
TJ Rear Springs.JPG

Front JKUR on the left, TJ X in the middle, OME springs on the right:
TJ Front Springs1.JPG

Reverse, OME JK springs on the left, TJ X in the middle, and JKUR on the right.
TJ Front Springs2.JPG

As you can imagine, I went with the JKUR rear springs, and the OME front springs, and used the JKUR shocks. Those need some modification also, you have to transfer the TJ bar pins over to one set, I don't remember whether front or rear, but it's not a big deal. Did all that, and got a lifted TJ X out of the deal. I sold that X to a friend two years ago, and he is still driving it today with that suspension.

So in summary, the JKUR rear springs will give a TJ lift, but on mine the front JKUR springs did not. Maybe on your 2.4 it would, due to the lighter front end, but you can only try it to see. I'd hate for you to buy some JKUR springs and find out they didn't work on the front...

Reactions: ac_
Went down this road with a 2003 TJ X a couple years ago. I wanted to give the TJ a bit of a lift, I thought, with JKUR springs, just as you are describing. I actually found a set of springs & shocks from a JKUR hard top Jeep with towing package, which would have been the stiffest springs available on any JK. The owner actually gave them to me, so I thought 'Golden!'.

Well, turns out it's only half true. The rear springs will give you decent lift, as they are taller, and have a higher spring rate, I believe. I don't have any hard evidence on the spring rate, though, that would take some research. Anyway, I didn't care, the springs were free!. The rear springs that give the lift won't work as is though. The top coil is too small, and has to be opened up in order for them to seat on the upper TJ rear spring seat. I had a shop do that, so no big deal, a bit of a cost for that.

On to the front. I put the JKUR front springs up next to my 13 year old TJ X front springs, and what? they were shorter...what the the heck??!! Maybe they had a higher spring rate, but I could not see how I was going to get any lift out of those. Luckily, I had some Old Man Emu front JK springs that I had put on a previously owned JKR, and kept when I sold it, so what the heck, let's try those. In case you might think I was smoking something and unclear of the facts, here is a visual comparison of the springs:

Rear, TJ on the left, JKUR on the right, you can see why the lift:
View attachment 30041

Front JKUR on the left, TJ X in the middle, OME springs on the right:
View attachment 30043

Reverse, OME JK springs on the left, TJ X in the middle, and JKUR on the right.
View attachment 30044

As you can imagine, I went with the JKUR rear springs, and the OME front springs, and used the JKUR shocks. Those need some modification also, you have to transfer the TJ bar pins over to one set, I don't remember whether front or rear, but it's not a big deal. Did all that, and got a lifted TJ X out of the deal. I sold that X to a friend two years ago, and he is still driving it today with that suspension.

So in summary, the JKUR rear springs will give a TJ lift, but on mine the front JKUR springs did not. Maybe on your 2.4 it would, due to the lighter front end, but you can only try it to see. I'd hate for you to buy some JKUR springs and find out they didn't work on the front...

Worst case scenario for me I have coil spacers that can help but like you said maybe I’ll pick up some front springs to seat it but I’ll try the jkur first

I could not find a decent 'before' photo, just this, showing the rear JKUR installed, and no front change yet:
IMG_0364_zps43e98a0e.JPG

And the only 'after' pic is from later, when I had installed a set of aftermarket bumpers, but both springs had been changed out:
IMG_0638_zps9decbd86.JPG

Those are 31 x 10.50 tires. I really liked the look and the ride...mu buddy is still driving that TJ today.