Johnny Joint Maintenance

I've had 3 experiences with the fittings.

1. Won't take grease
2. Force grease in and it comes out around the bushing, between the arm and bushing
3. Force grease in and explode the bushing, that happened on an upper.

Those are the only 3 outcomes I've experienced

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: JMT and Tob
Potentially dumb question:

Is it a bad idea to try and use the grease zerks at all? In some cases so have been successful squirting grease through them, but not always. I’d hate to risk damage.
I don’t think I would bother, they’re easy enough to service and the pressure your grease gun may get to is pretty high so there’s a small margin of error.

Reactions: Steel City 06
How silly would you think it is if there wasn't a grease fitting?

From what i gather, joint has to be taken out, serviced and put back until further service need.
I dont see how grease fitting replaces that.
I also dont feel like i understand what you are asking me

Reactions: Farmergreg
From what i gather, joint has to be taken out, serviced and put back until further service need.
I dont see how grease fitting replaces that.
I also dont feel like i understand what you are asking me
I explained how it came to be that a nearly useless grease fitting wound up in the body. The only thing more silly than a nearly useless grease fitting would be NO grease fitting because the internet would never let that pass. OMG OMG OMG, however will I grease my joints? Oh Fuck, Currie sucks so bad because they didn't put a grease fitting in the body.

When I tried to grease them initially, being a 1st time JJ owner, I thought why in the world would anyone put a grease fitting on that you can't actually use? Mystery solved, thanks to this thread. The JJ grease fitting can't be used, but has to be installed, because the public demands it. The genius of the consumer is sometimes more than the mind can comprehend! o_O

Youse guys are joking around about marketing genius have given me an idea. Since I have zerks on both the bolt and the joint body, and if the Johnny Ball is drilled, and if the poly-whatever part of the joint is drilled, I can remove one zerk and use the other to pump grease through the joint. I might need no stinking tool. :)

zerks-X3.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Youse guys are joking around about marketing genius have given me an idea. Since I have zerks on both the bolt and the joint body, and if the Johnny Ball is drilled, and if the poly-whatever part of the joint is drilled, I can remove one zerk and use the other to pump grease through the joint. I might need no stikning tool. :)

View attachment 275863
Why are they where they can get knocked off?

Good thing I came across this thread. Looks like I may be in the market for some JJ tools :unsure:. The Savvy uppers are 2" and lowers 2.5", correct?
Yeah, you will want to build or buy both sizes of the tool if you have both the uppers and lowers. Fortunately if you ever get their trackbars, or the JKS front, they can help there too.

Reactions: Tob
Would he like some solid advice?
Just let him wipe the zerk out with a Jack stand. It's not useful anyway.

Admission of guilt...I know a Jack stand will wipe out a grease zerk because I installed mine that way too, before I knew those zerks were useless and I wanted them accessible. Then I placed my axle on Jack stand at a convenient place... And proceeded to crush the zerk.

• Sad
Reactions: Farmergreg and Tob
The genius of the consumer is sometimes more than the mind can comprehend! o_O
The only thing more silly than a nearly useless grease fitting would be NO grease fitting because the internet would never let that pass. OMG OMG OMG, however will I grease my joints? Oh Fuck, Currie sucks so bad because they didn't put a grease fitting in the body.

Stupid will do what stupid does.
But to side with the stupid, just because the stupidity has demanded it, instead of posting few paragraphs that would explain why it is a dumb idea... That i can not wrap my mind around.

Bash the consumer demand all you want, but i doubt that demand specifically said "Hey, i want a stupid and useless grease fitting in there, just for shits and giggles". It is more believable that the message was "I want an easier way to grease my JJ" or "Give us grease fitting to eliminate process of pulling the joint out". And as a result of those requests, a solution was made, a grease fitting that has failed to fulfill the request. So that brings to a conclusion that this dumb stupidity (grease fitting) came from Currie/Savvy/Rockjock or which ever one of them is in charge of R&D.

This rationale of stupid has requested dumb, so the dumb stupidity got what it wanted, is a logic out of the ass in my eyes.
As many on here claim years of trouble free and maintenance free offroading, where would this demand for a solution for non existent problem come from? Is Currie and Savvy are on brink of bankruptcy, and control arms with JJs is their only profit maker?

If i am wrong, what ever, some of you for what ever reason are way too feelings invested into this topic. There is no need to turn this into another shit show. But, as long as i am truly wrong and you all are confident in who you pointing fingers at.

Reactions: Farmergreg
But to side with the stupid, just because the stupidity has demanded it, instead of posting few paragraphs that would explain why it is a dumb idea... That i can not wrap my mind around.

Bash the consumer demand all you want, but i doubt that demand specifically said "Hey, i want a stupid and useless grease fitting in there, just for shits and giggles". It is more believable that the message was "I want an easier way to grease my JJ" or "Give us grease fitting to eliminate process of pulling the joint out". And as a result of those requests, a solution was made, a grease fitting that has failed to fulfill the request. So that brings to a conclusion that this dumb stupidity (grease fitting) came from Currie/Savvy/Rockjock or which ever one of them is in charge of R&D.

This rationale of stupid has requested dumb, so the dumb stupidity got what it wanted, is a logic out of the ass in my eyes.
As many on here claim years of trouble free and maintenance free offroading, where would this demand for a solution for non existent problem come from? Is Currie and Savvy are on brink of bankruptcy, and control arms with JJs is their only profit maker?

If i am wrong, what ever, some of you for what ever reason are way too feelings invested into this topic. There is no need to turn this into another shit show. But, as long as i am truly wrong and you all are confident in who you pointing fingers at.
It’s along the lines of hexagonal control arms… it’s dumb, but people think it’s somehow better or needed…

Reactions: Tob
As another example, look at the grease fittings on u-joints. People actually do ask for them, which is why they sell versions with the fitting and some without. Just because the fitting is there, doesn't make it better, but the public wants it.

What do they do with the fittings when they get it? Either over grease, or under grease them. The sealed u-joints, without grease fittings then go on to live 200K miles. The greaseable ones don't. My point here is that in order to show that the providers are responsive, they sometimes have to do what doesn't make sense, if if they know it doesn't. I'm not saying it's right, simply that it is.

Yeah, you will want to build or buy both sizes of the tool if you have both the uppers and lowers. Fortunately if you ever get their trackbars, or the JKS front, they can help there too.
I know the tools are expensive, but considering all my suspension is all johnny joints except the front track bar's axle side, they might be a worthwhile investment. They were creaking within several months of install, although I didn't add any grease to them before installing.

Stupid fucks like you piss me off beyond sensible limits. You are putting questions in there that were not ever there.

I explained. John invented the JJ. Then when its success was noted, others started knocking it off with cheaper versions. In order to compete against bullshit copies that are not as good, not the same and whose only value is a lower price point, John deleted the greaseable bolts as standard in order to reduce the selling price. In self defense, they added a grease fitting because the omission of same would cause far more bullshit than one that isn't exactly as useful as it should be. Like it or not, believe it or not, that is the way it happened and your insistence on being a little shit won't change that.

Last edited: