Johnny Joint thunk?

SkylinesSuck

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I finally got my used Currie short arms installed. Took them apart, cleaned, and greased them using the redline stuff mrblaine recommended. The bushings looked fine but the metal balls were kinda pitted and they moved fairly easily when reassembled.

I did the fronts first and everything was fine. I then did the rear lowers a week later (already had metal cloak rear uppers for a couple years which are still installed). After getting those installed I noticed a slight "clunk" coming from the rear when I took off, and sometimes when I decel with the engine. I figured they were worn, so I replaced the bushings. Much tighter and could not move them with just my fingers any more. Got them re-installed and the clunk is less frequent and quieter, but it still happens. It's not terribly loud and only happens under a fairly hard accel/decel, but it bugs me(and I drive aggressively).

I think maybe I'm hearing the whole arm twisting and the JJ housing hitting the mount? When I installed them, they were centered. After driving and making them clunk, they are like the pics below. The mounting holes are not wallowed out and I don't see evidence of them sliding in the mount. Is this just a normal thing I should get used to? Maybe the metal balls are worn/pitted too much?

Also semi-related, do they make rubber washers for 2.5" JJ's? Seems like that would deaden the clunk if it is indeed the housing smacking the mount.

PXL_20210329_015226414.jpg

PXL_20210329_015222699.jpg

Even if worn and loose, I can't imagine a JJ arm twisting with enough momentum to create an audible clunk without other problems being far more evident.

FWIW, they can't and won't stay centered. They will wander side to side as the suspension moves.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Make sure all the control arm bolts are tight. I had the same issue clunk on initial accel and on decel. Turns out I didn’t tighten one of the control arms enough.

My controll arms turned the same way those are. I dont think its been a problem though.
Could it be a problem with motor/transmission mounts or driveline?

I've had a thud type sound on accel/decel turn out to be a loose motor mount before but it was noticeably front end.

First thing I did upon hearing the clunk was go tighten everything. Including all the shocks, sway, tranny, and track bar bolts (and of course the arms). Glad to hear the arms are supposed to turn like that though.

Have you checked if the axle is centered under the body? I have a 2.5" lift as well and it kicked my axle out nearly 1" to one side and the way that joint is kicking to one side, it looks suspect. I don't think the stock arms don't allow that kind of pivot so it would make sense for it not to be an issue until now.

A track bar relocation bracket centered my axle back up.

When something is going to wear layers off, odds are very good it's going to be the softer polyurethane race, not harder the steel ball it rubs against.

I have a track bar relocation bracket on my 8.8 as well as an adjustable track bar. It was centered shortly after the axle swap, but I'm about to go a little higher and do a tummy tuck at the same time, so it'll get adjusted soon again anyways.