Johnny Joints vs Currie Antirock

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
Hello Folks!

I recently got my new Core 4x4 control arms (the cheapest ones) with the intention of upgrading the adjustable ends with Johnny Joints, but then I crossed the idea of Antirock being mentioned by everyone that has been "the best upgrade done to their jeeps" so..... what would you guys think is better to upgrade first? the JJ in all the adjustable ends of the Control Arms or the Currie Antirock? (currently I have quick discos..) since the price would be around the same for the JJ and the antirock..... thanks!

20230913_021006.jpg

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/oro-tj-swayloc-sale.74939/#post-1440585

For about 50 bucks more than the Antirock you can get a Swayloc right now.

The swayloc is a game changer. If it was me, I'd go that route, and save up for the Johnny Joints. If you just installed the control arms, the bushings ain't going to wear out THAT quick. You buy the Johnny Joints in the next year, you'll be fine till then.

You are asking the equivalent of what is better, a winch or LED headlights. One is addressing a very different problem than the other is.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
A Sway-Loc would be a better purchase than an Anti-Rock Offroad Swaybar for a jeep driven on the street or to the trailhead - a Sway-Loc is an an improvement over stock for both on-road and off-road rather than just offroad as with the Anti-Rock.

As for which to buy first, there is no need to upgrade the control arm joints you already have until one fails. Get the Sway-Loc (or Anti-Rock if you must) before the joints.

This thread may be of interest: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-swayloc-dual-rate-anti-swaybar-system.46143/

You are asking the equivalent of what is better, a winch or LED headlights. One is addressing a very different problem than the other is.

I'm not asking which one is better... I'm asking what would you consider to be first in the priority list =)

Nothing wrong with the control arms you've got. The swayloc will significantly improve ride performance on and offroad. Buy the swayloc and save up for the JJs for when the joints wear out in the arms down the road.

I'm not asking which one is better... I'm asking what would you consider to be first in the priority list =)

Ok. Which is a more important issue for you to address, the need for more control arm misalignment and lifespan or a balanced compromise between articulation and offroad stability at the expense of on road stability?

There are vastly different and good reasons for either. But no one here can tell you which is a priority for you.

Ok. Which is a more important issue for you to address, the need for more control arm misalignment and lifespan or a balanced compromise between articulation and offroad stability at the expense of on road stability?

There are vastly different and good reasons for either. But no one here can tell you which is a priority for you.

Soooo….LED lights?

🙂

oks... I think I'll order led lights, an angry grill and a set of ducks then.....

I live in a small town and its really rare when I need to travel at higher speeds, most of my "long distance travels" are about 70 miles from my town to the border.... so I think the on-road stability that the AR offers will be enough for me and I dont think the +$250 for the SL is worth it for my usual driving... I agree with @97TJNM that I can use my current joints for one year and then improve them to JJ on next X-mas.... so... its set up.. Antirock for the win...

another question, I see that there is the older currie version and the newer rockjock version (5 vs 3 set up holes) is there any difference? or both are good enough?

Reactions: RINC and 97TJNM
Honestly, you are better off just buying a set of quick disconnects. The antirock is probably the most regretted purchase I have made for my jeep.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Honestly, you are better off just buying a set of quick disconnects. The antirock is probably the most regretted purchase I have made for my jeep.

Interesting. I never had the Antirock, so I can't speak directly about it, but I went with the Swayloc because of so many recommendations on this forum that it's dual rate was a game changer. And it is. I remember after installing the swayloc and driving it on the road for a week or so, and thinking 'this thing handles the same as a stock sway bar' then when I first took it offroad after having it installed a few weeks, I flopped the lever and went wheeling... I was blown away.

I feel like the Swayloc is in the top 5 mods I've done to my Jeep.

But part of the reason I went with the Swayloc is because of all the comparisons between it and the Antirock on this forum. No one bashes on the Antirock, but almost everyone that has driven a vehicle with both heavily preferred the Swayloc.

As an aside, I am a little bemused that 2 of what i consider my top 5 "quality of jeeping" mods were designed by Mr. Blaine. (Swayloc and Brakes).

Reactions: inkedrose
Hello Folks!

I recently got my new Core 4x4 control arms (the cheapest ones) with the intention of upgrading the adjustable ends with Johnny Joints, but then I crossed the idea of Antirock being mentioned by everyone that has been "the best upgrade done to their jeeps" so..... what would you guys think is better to upgrade first? the JJ in all the adjustable ends of the Control Arms or the Currie Antirock? (currently I have quick discos..) since the price would be around the same for the JJ and the antirock..... thanks!

View attachment 476414

I don’t know how you use your Jeep, so I can’t say. An Anti-Rock is an off-road sway bar. I don’t like them on-road. It performs an important function off-road. It provides the maximum traction under articulation by torsion. The ORO SwayLoc is a dual rate sway bar, so it has one rate for on-road and another rate for off-road. It’s like a stock sway bar on-road and a AntiRock off-road. Preferred if it’s a DD.

Rubber bushings deform under articulation. After maximum deformation they transfer stress to the arms and the bracket. It’s fine for driving on-road, but not a good idea off-road.

Which one is a priority for you? No idea.

Reactions: Don Bulee

I've never seen anyone saying anything bad about antirock, (I already have quick discos) would you please elaborate? why did you regretted the purchase of the antirock? is it because of the body roll the AR gave to your rig?

I've never seen anyone saying anything bad about antirock, (I already have quick discos) would you please elaborate? why did you regretted the purchase of the antirock? is it because of the body roll the AR gave to your rig?

i know you’re not asking me, but I liked my AR on-road at first. Didn’t let the additional body roll bother me. Over time it bothered me. I didn’t know what the problem was, but the steering had too much play in it. Shimmies on curves were common. I tried rebalancing the tires and checking everything up front for proper torque. Never changed anything till the day I installed the ORO. Now the AR is in the attic awaiting the day I have a dedicated trail rig.

i know you’re not asking me, but I liked my AR on-road at first. Didn’t let the additional body roll bother me. Over time it bothered me. I didn’t know what the problem was, but the steering had too much play in it. Shimmies on curves were common. I tried rebalancing the tires and checking everything up front for proper torque. Never changed anything till the day I installed the ORO. Now the AR is in the attic awaiting the day I have a dedicated trail rig.

or...... you could just sell it to me.......

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Jamesval035
I have had my AR for about 5 years now and still like, but I only drive about 5k a year. I really still don’t notice that bad if body roll but I also don’t try and drive it like a race car around curbs. With that being said, since I’ve been driving with it for so long, I wonder if I just have grown accustomed to it’s driving characteristics.