July Jeep Gladiator Sales

I also think the lack of a V8 really hurts sales as well as you folks. Nobody, especially this market segment demos, want something that's supposed to tow and be big and beefy and manly without a V8 in it.

My local dealer still has the same 5 that have been around for weeks. They keep moving them around the lot in different poses. The price premium over a wrangler doesn't bother me, but the fact that is much more expensive than a new Tacoma or Frontier and doesn't really offer any more interior space or towing capacity I think is really going to hurt it.

Reactions: rasband
I think what hurts sales (and this is just me personally) is that people are finally realizing that it's an overpriced mid-sized pickup. You can't really tow much with it (not as much as a full size truck), it's way overpriced, and you can't really go off-roading in it due to having such a long wheelbase.

I could care less if I get flamed for this, I just think that if it's an actual truck someone is after, there are much better options.

I think what hurts sales (and this is just me personally) is that people are finally realizing that it's an overpriced mid-sized pickup. You can't really tow much with it (not as much as a full size truck), it's way overpriced, and you can't really go off-roading in it due to having such a long wheelbase.

I could care less if I get flamed for this, I just think that if it's an actual truck someone is after, there are much better options.
Bingo.

Reactions: Hog

Last I checked the average car payment was above my payment for 2 cars in my family... maybe people are starting to realize they don’t need to keep up with their neighbors.

Last I checked the average car payment was above my payment for 2 cars in my family... maybe people are starting to realize they don’t need to keep up with their neighbors.

Very true as well! Now that the average "cool" car has reached a price point of around 50k, people may be starting to wake up and smell the coffee. I mean that's one big car payment unless you have at least half down.

Sometimes the rampant success of something like the four-door Wrangler makes a manufacturer think they can do anything... The four-door Wrangler is a variation... And the gladiator is a variation of that variation.

I'm not going to say they missed it, I'm going to venture to say with the cost of development and Design tooling and manufacturing and marketing this concept, based on current sales... Maybe they should not have even shot

The indicator to me Fiat Chrysler was absolutely out of touch with the market, was when they made the statement that this truck basically solved all transportation needs and they took away all the reasons not to buy it.

It's one thing to sell versatility, and the gladiator is unique and is very distinctive .... at the same time fairly versatile.

when I talk to people and people thatknow that I'm a Jeep enthusiast and they give me their opinion they are quick to say it's the appearance of the vehicle that turns them off...

People love the looks of a Jeep... they don't like the looks of a truck that looks like a Jeep...and if you go back in time and look at Jeep sales history you can easily establish that... And you will see some trucks that are very loved and respected but at the same time not widely accepted by the market.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Two things vs the competition.

It looks ugly unless you put huge tires on it but that can be hard to live with for a DD.

It’s so much more expensive than anything else in the segment.

Still looking at a Taco myself.

Reactions: rasband
How much more is the comparable Rubicon Gladiator? They start at 42k right?

Close to 60k by the time you add all the stuff that’s standard.

What I struggle with more is in the mid 30s you can get a TRD OR Tacoma with everything the pro has minus the suspension lift. The pro is already considered overpriced by many on the Tacoma side of things especially as dealerships don't discount them.

Edit talking about MSRPs here:
All models are DCSB, Auto

Gladiator similar to TRD Pro: 53,855
TRD Pro: 45,665
Similarly equipped TRD OR: 40,425

You do get the front locker and the frontend is different in the gladiator, but that's a huge price gap.

Last edited:
If you go for the real transmission (6 speed manual) the Tacoma has greater towing capacity than the Gladiola Rubicon. I think the Tacoma with the slush box also tows a bit a bunch more than the Jeep as well. To get high towing capacity on the Jeep it has to be something other than the Rubicon. You can also get screaming deals on Frontier PRO 4X's which like the Tacoma aren't nearly the rock crawler a Gladiator is, but offer better towing.

I would also bet a bunch of people are waiting for the diesel option.
Diesels , when offered in smaller vehicles than 3/4 ton work trucks , typically only constitute a small percentage of sales .

The 1/2 ton Nissann Titan /Cummins has proven that .

Diesels have become vastly complicated , and the emission requirements kill both performance and any hope of longevity ....and deleting diesel emissions is becoming near impossible .

The Gladiator diesel option will be a small seller in a truck that isn't selling strong already ...it's not going to change the vehicles market trajectory.

A 6.4 Hemi might do wonders. Fiat-Chrysler needs to pay attention - the market is screaming for more displacement in the 4 door Wrangler, and the Gladiator is even larger.

Last edited:
I know most of this has been said but.. they seem way to big and just are appealing as the brute editions that were available a few years ago.. if ur gunna buy a truck, most consider other manufacturers , Jeep has tried the truck version a few times and it’s never really hit a home run, i believe that if they made them more around the size of a Tacoma u wouldn’t expect it to haul a 11000 lb load and it would kept them out of competing with a full size truck

Reactions: AndyG
Diesels , when offered in smaller vehicles than 3/4 ton work trucks , typically only constitute a small percentage of sales .

The 1/2 ton Nissann Titan /Cummins has proven that .

Diesels have become vastly complicated , and the emission requirements kill both performance and any hope of longevity ....and deleting diesel emissions is becoming near impossible .

The Gladiator diesel option will be a small seller in a truck that isn't selling strong already ...it's not going to change the vehicles market trajectory.

A 6.4 Hemi might do wonders. Fiat-Chrysler needs to pay attention - the market is screaming for more displacement in the 4 door Wrangler, and the Gladiator is even larger.
I believe the chief engineer or some other high up said the issue with the v8 is that it wont pass crash ratings.

I assume once we start seeing discounts applied to these trucks they will sell better. Especially if they are even half aggressive as ram 1500 discounts are.

My guess is dealer/fiat are trying to make as much per truck as possible right now and come 2020 we will start to see more discounts. Also, once JL leases end.

With a step discount and possibly a diesel in a sport version people may choose them simply because the higher mpg. I doubt they would ever touch tacoma sales though since they would make for a worst fleet truck.

Last edited:
I have seen 2 in person, they had the deepest orange peel in the paint I have ever seen. Looked like a poor build quality for something that costs that much to me.
Jeep the brand in general has some of the thinnest shittiest paint I’ve ever seen. Orange peel is pretty common across the jeep lineup unfortunately. I agree tho it shouldn’t be there with what they cost.

I believe the chief engineer or some other high up said the issue with the v8 is that it wont pass crash ratings.

I assume once we start seeing discounts applied to these trucks they will sell better. Especially if they are even half aggressive as ram 1500 discounts are.

My guess is dealer/fiat are trying to make as much per truck as possible right now and come 2020 we will start to see more discounts. Also, once JL leases end.

With a step discount and possibly a diesel in a sport version people may choose them simply because the higher mpg. I doubt they would ever touch tacoma sales though since they would make for a worst fleet truck.
If for no more reasons than looks, it's not going to sell in large numbers unless they practically give them away.

The average midsize truck buyer does not envision the lifted / large tire concept.

For the manufacturer... There may not even be as big a net gain ...as it may take some sales from the JLU line.

the reality is they don't have what they thought they had... It's an SUV, it's a truck, it's a floor wax, it's a whip topping.

A larger motor and a more graceful design would have made all the difference.

Jeep the brand in general has some of the thinnest shittiest paint I’ve ever seen. Orange peel is pretty common across the jeep lineup unfortunately. I agree tho it shouldn’t be there with what they cost.
Any pics of actual depth gauges on brand new paint?
What makes the paint shitty?
Other manufactures do what specifically with their paint that makes them better than FCA?