Junkyard motor or crate engine?

Jcarterc

Hi yall! I have a 1998 4.0 TJ with 183k miles, sadly the engine overheated while I was driving one day, took it to a shop, they quoted me 1k to fix the head gasket and resurface the head, I’m debating if it’s worth just investing into a crate motor, I don’t want to replace the head gasket and invest the money just for it to break down again in the future, does anyone have any experiences with crate motors vs junkyard motors?

Hi yall! I have a 1998 4.0 TJ with 183k miles, sadly the engine overheated while I was driving one day, took it to a shop, they quoted me 1k to fix the head gasket and resurface the head, I’m debating if it’s worth just investing into a crate motor, I don’t want to replace the head gasket and invest the money just for it to break down again in the future, does anyone have any experiences with crate motors vs junkyard motors?

What’s the quote gonna be on an engine replacement? That’s what I’d be thinkin about

You might be okay with the repair, just make sure that you change your oil and filter before the recommended time. You might want to change it again after another 1000 miles. My understanding about what happens is that the heads might shed metal(burrs), and damage internal components, if you don't replace the oil soon enough as the oil starts circulating. I did something similar in my Mustang engine and I didn't change my oil when recommended, and I started to get a tick on my piston and it ruined my engine. My engine sounded great at first, so I didn't bother to change my oil. By the time I did change my oil, it was too late. I ended up with a used engine, and it did last for awhile without problems. If it is just a junkyard engine, you can't be sure that that engine doesn't have problems too. The crate engine is likely tested and rebuilt, so it might be the safest bet. On my current 97 Wrangler, I actually lost my serpentine belt after my pulley broke, and my radiator exploded. Luckily, I limped off the freeway immediately and had it towed. My engine was fine once I fixed the pulley, and replaced the belt, and radiator. I never try to drive my Jeep if I have obviously catastrophic engine failure. The same thing happened when my water pump failed. I pulled over on the freeway immediately, and I had it towed off the freeway to my preferred shop. Again, my engine was fine once I got the water pump fixed. I wouldn't take my suggestions as definitive either. Maybe get multiple inputs. Good Luck.

What’s the quote gonna be on an engine replacement? That’s what I’d be thinkin about

The shop quoted me 5-6k for the engine replacement but that’s a used motor most likely with high mileage, they offered that I bring in the crate motor (2300$) and then they would just charge me the labor to put it in, but for the price of labor, I could just throw it in myself and buy more parts if needed

The shop quoted me 5-6k for the engine replacement but that’s a used motor most likely with high mileage, they offered that I bring in the crate motor (2300$) and then they would just charge me the labor to put it in, but for the price of labor, I could just throw it in myself and buy more parts if needed

I mean your current motor needs, what, a head gasket?

I wouldn’t throw in the towel for a new motor unless there’s evidence of block damage.

for the price of labor, I could just throw it in myself and buy more parts if needed

If you are willing to tackle an engine swap why not just do the head gasket yourself. If you are worried about the head itself you could probably get one remanufactured and still be into it for less than $750. I know Clearwater has always been recommended for those of us with the 0331 that’s prone to cracking. Not sure if they have one for the 98 but that’s where I would start.

Last edited:
Everything comes down to your budget and how fast do you need it done?? Is it a Daily driver?? If not…..

Buy a reman and throw it in. Thats what I do
(Havent done the Jeep yet, but will eventually)

Personally this Jeep is the 2nd vehicle Ive ever bought with more then 50K on it used, and near 200K Im not wasting time on it.

What $$$ you save on labor can be redistributed to all new sensors, injectors, radiator, hoses, throttle body, etc

I have bought wrecked LSx low mileage from boneyards by newbs that run outta talent but for just $2300 for a reman, no brainer

Last edited:
Everything comes down to your budget and how fast do you need it done?? Is it a Daily driver

Buy a reman and throw it in. Thats what I do
(Havent done the Jeep yet, but will eventually)

Personally this Jeep is the 2nd vehicle Ive ever bought with more then 50K on it used, and near 200K Im not wasting time on it.

What $$$ you save on labor can be redistributed to all new sensors, injectors, radiator, hoses, throttle body, etc

I have bought wrecked LSx low mileage from boneyards by newbs that run outta talent but for just $2300 for a reman, no brainer

This is essentially what I am doing right now, I went with a junkyard engine, but I found one with 90k for $1200. It’s a slow process for me but I work two jobs and try my best to be a hands on dad so free time is a premium for me.

Another reason I chose junkyard is that I don’t plan on running this motor forever, this gives me a working jeep while I can rebuild (stroke) my original motor without having to rush.

I am about to do a head swap on it as well. I was trying to rush the install, since the motor came with the intake and exhaust manifolds still bolted on I didn’t touch them. Now I have the engine installed and it runs great but I have an exhaust leak that seems to be coming from the exhaust manifold gasket. If I am going to pull the intake and exhaust I figured I might as well go ahead and install the edelbrock head I picked up for my stroker build. It isn’t doing anything just sitting in the garage anyway.

My advice is still to just do the head gasket and maybe a reman head. It’s not the route I went but I knew I had bigger issues (broken piston skirts and a cracked head). If you have access I would recommend a cherry picker for the head, it’s a heavy fucker and you have to lift it from an awkward angle. You can do it without, but it sure helps, especially when you put it back on and don’t want to screw up your new gasket.

I'd recommend avoiding a junkyard engine at all cost. In the given scenario, I would 1- R&R the head (assuming everything else in the engine looks good), 2- I'd have my engine totally rebuilt locally, or 3- I'd have a shop locate, acquire and install a rebuilt engine and provide a materials & labor warranty of at least 1 year. Options 2 and 3 obviously are time-dependent.