Just another locker and gear thread

I agree 100%.
Gear setup is definitely not horse whispering ,whatever that is. There is a lot of good knowledge available for this and I am willing to risk my hypothetical $10 on me and my own skill/fallacy against a shop that wants $1000. It's not that I feel I'd be charged unreasonable rates, it's that I am confident I can learn how... and that I can realize the satisfaction of knowing how to accomplish this (+ save that hypothetical $990).
If I fuck it up, I'll hire my own lawyer to sue myself 🤑
...Then my stubborn ass will start all over again
Except it’s not $10 to replace a ring and pinion and locker when they blow up, and nor does any shop charge $1000 to setup gears. So what in the hell are you trying to say other than toot your own horn that you can learn things?

I love you guys and there is a ton of great info on this site but no need to over complicate things. He's not rock crawling, or trying to do Moab or the Rubicon. No need for upgrading axles or selectable lockers...unless of course you've got money to spend and you want the best.

Regear with your gears of choice (4.56 or 4.88), add a front auto locker and be done!! Front locker was the single best off road mod I have made to my jeep.

I have 33's, 3.73's with manual 5spd and front Torq Master auto locker and its awesome. I'm able to do moderate rock climbing with no problem. One day I'll regear and maybe move to selectable front and rear but for now my Jeep can still do a lot of amazing shit.

Except it’s not $10 to replace a ring and pinion and locker when they blow up, and nor does any shop charge $1000 to setup gears.
Hence the "hypothetical "

So what in the hell are you trying to say other than toot your own horn that you can learn things?
Simply agreeing with SvtLdr that not everyone has to be scared of setting up a R&P. It's not impossible to do correctly in your own garage.
Go suck a dick ...or whatever it is you do when you're not trolling Jeep forums🖕

Hence the "hypothetical "

Simply agreeing with SvtLdr that not everyone has to be scared of setting up a R&P. It's not impossible to do correctly in your own garage.
Go suck a dick ...or whatever it is you do when you're not trolling Jeep forums🖕
Except your hypothetical is garbage because it’s hyperbolic in both directions. Nobody ever said it was impossible, just that a guy in Germany who had to get ring and pinions shipped from the US overseas might want to weigh his options before undertaking this task.

Reactions: suicideking
Nobody ever said it was impossible, just that a guy in Germany who had to get ring and pinions shipped from the US overseas might want to weigh his options before undertaking this task.
Definitely a good point.

It's also possible that he's up to the task of figuring it out for himself.

Kinda hard to believe he can't source a ring and pinion closer than USA?

Definitely a good point.

It's also possible that he's up to the task of figuring it out for himself.

Kinda hard to believe he can't source a ring and pinion closer than USA?
I would hope there is some sort of distributor over there even though a majority of the companies are stateside. Either way I’m sure he’s paying 2x maybe even 3x what we are for the product by the time it gets to him.

Except your hypothetical is garbage because it’s hyperbolic in both directions. Nobody ever said it was impossible, just that a guy in Germany who had to get ring and pinions shipped from the US overseas might want to weigh his options before undertaking this task.
Agreed. He might want to consider all his options. Yes, it is a risk, but setup is the same process whether in the US or Germany. The cost of failure may be more, but I'm sure the OP (who stated that he is a mechanical engineer and will have help from a machinist) is more than capable of assessing his own skill level and bank account 😉
As far as my numbers being off, weren't you just in another thread confusing shim thickness numerals?
Edit: It was this thread😁

Reactions: SvtLdr
Agreed. He might want to consider all his options. Yes, it is a risk, but setup is the same process whether in the US or Germany. The cost of failure may be more, but I'm sure the OP (who stated that he is a mechanical engineer and will have help from a machinist) is more than capable of assessing his own skill level and bank account 😉
As far as my numbers being off, weren't you just in another thread confusing shim thickness numerals?
Edit: It was this thread😁
Sure was, and that’s why I asked for clarification. Am I supposed to have shame in that? Get over yourself.

The fact he’s a mechanical engineer means his time is valuable, and is probably more efficiently spent other ways than learning to swap gears in a Jeep. A task that he likely won’t do again.

• Face Palm
Sure was, and that’s why I asked for clarification. Am I supposed to have shame in that? Get over yourself.

The fact he’s a mechanical engineer means his time is valuable, and is probably more efficiently spent other ways than learning to swap gears in a Jeep. A task that he likely won’t do again.
...or maybe he wants the challenge. This is a pointless conversation and although I don't have an engineering degree, my time is valuable as well.
Yes... Feel the same shame that you seem to expect me to have for encouraging someone to do their own work if they feel up to it.
I'll work on getting over myself...Thanks for the advice.
I will now humbly take my shameful and hyperbolic numbers out to my USA garage to start preparing my housing for new gears 🤣 👋

This comment was confusing then I realized you quoted Tretop who has me on ignore, carry on.
He put me on ignore as well. I think he gets this way at least once a month.🤔 Good riddance imo
200.gif

I think the challange of regearing is to set the proper preload on the bearings and the right backlash on the gears. I guess I can handle it and can live with the consequences respectively the costs if I fail.

Has someone some dimensioins of a differential case spreader that will fit the Dana 30/35?

I would hope there is some sort of distributor over there even though a majority of the companies are stateside. Either way I’m sure he’s paying 2x maybe even 3x what we are for the product by the time it gets to him.
Yes here are plenty of distributors for Jeep parts, but the range is not nearly as good like in the us.
The prices are horrible too. They are two to four times higher.

If I order the parts in the US, I will pay estimated 20% on taxes.
The downside is, that I don´t have the legal warranity in germany.

This week I will put together a list with all needed parts and tools and post it here.
I hope on your support if I get something wrong.

An other question:
Are Axle tube seals like this Link a good choice or is this a waste of money?
The mixture of wet mudd and salt in the winter let the car rost that you can hear it in the night.

I think the challange of regearing is to set the proper preload on the bearings and the right backlash on the gears. I guess I can handle it and can live with the consequences respectively the costs if I fail.

Has someone some dimensioins of a differential case spreader that will fit the Dana 30/35?
Something like This would work, if you can find one similar that is available to you there. There are a few videos on YouTube of people building their own with flat stock, tube, threaded rod, etc, if you don't mind a bit of welding
An other question:
The mixture of wet mudd and salt in the winter let the car rost that you can hear it in the night.
Those outer seals are generally regarded poorly. The main reason seems to be that if the inner axle seals leak, those outer seals hide the evidence and you could end up operating the differential with low oil

I really like the outer axle seals. I've run them for a number of years along with most of the guys that I wheel with. We see a lot of mud and water on the trails we wheel and the seals do a good job of keeping that crud out of your axle tubes. There are plenty of folks on the forum that will tell you these seals can do more harm than they're worth and that they are the worst invention known to man. Take it with a grain of salt. If you're in the habit of regularly checking your axle fluid then you'll know if you have a leaking inner seal. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Jablinski
SvtLdr suggested Revolution Gear & Axle, but what about other manufacturers like Alloy USA, Yukon and Motive Gear.
I fount an interresting Kit on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2737519141...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Ebay takes all the hassle with the custumer duty and taxes from me, but I didn´t find any Revolution Gear kit with international shipping on ebay.

The Grip Pro should have the Partnumbers GT443027 and GT443527.

Reactions: DaddyZSmith
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Except it’s not $10 to replace a ring and pinion and locker when they blow up, and nor does any shop charge $1000 to setup gears. So what in the hell are you trying to say other than toot your own horn that you can learn things?
I wish they only charged $1,000.00, the ones around me have quoted me for a lot more than that to do a regear on my front Dana 30 and rear Dana 35.