Just picked up a TJ

Simon692

A couple of weeks ago I asked advice on the forum if there was anything I should do to a Jeep if it had been sat for several months. I planned to change the oil and check filters, belts, brakes etc.
In the end, it rained so I just made sure it had some oil in, changed the battery and checked the tyre pressures. One of the tyres was completely flat and the battery was difficult to change. It’s on the left hand side in a right hand drive Jeep, not easy to change because some relays are in the way and it has a heat shroud around it.
I set off from central France, back to UK the following day in pouring rain. Driving at 50mph, it was all over again the road and really difficult to steer. I got off the road soonest and headed back, I thought a rear wheel bearing or the diff had let go as it was making such a racket. Looking in the side mirror, I could see the wheel wobbling about. I checked the wheel lug nuts and they were all loose! Yikes! All tightened and back on the road for an uneventful trip home.

Things about the Jeep that I like/dislike (in no particular order/sense):

The soft-top makes it really noisy (my ears are still ringing)
It comfortable to drive, I’m 6ft 5
The engine runs out of puff on a long hill requiring a couple of downshifts to maintain speed
The soft-top doesn’t leak
The sills are really tall making entry/exit difficult
The gear shift is very smooth
I could only do 52mph comfortably because the wheels require balancing
Rust has sprouted on the front fenders/wings

Hopefully, it’ll pass its annual test tomorrow. I’ll let you all know how it gets on.
7AC19604-C769-4F0B-B909-C0EF67A30E5E.jpeg
84E65B5C-038E-4848-B90A-0508B2D2DC94.jpeg
9D87EB4F-D980-4D25-B21F-83E4093BF6DF.jpeg
855BB5D2-8B30-4A3A-9034-B4AE6F86113A.jpeg
A4CFF1D2-0E82-4930-B840-D703C54CDB58.jpeg

Looks great, it remembers me when I took a plane ticket to buy a car in UK and bring it back to Switzerland. I got stuck out of the car at a french toll because it had an alarm system closing the doors after a few seconds.. Good luck for the annual test ;)

Reactions: TJ Starting
Do hiline fenders possibly , Jeep looks nice . It will be a good one I bet

I can’t recall when I last saw a Jeep Wrangler on the road in UK. It failed its annual test. 😩 Badly; very badly!
It also lost 1.5 litres during the test; it’s a 4.0 not a 2.5!

D0F75B56-88B8-45F3-A405-035CA76BB0A6.jpeg

If you get into the Jeep by sliding in like you are getting on a bar stool instead of trying to "high step" into it, it is much easier. Took getting old to realize that.

MOT inspection...I kinda wish they did something similar in the States...I'm SO tired of traffic delays because of someone's Hoopty breaking down on the highway. Then again....I'm anti-government...so torn...

Anyway, back on track. @Simon692 are you going to try and fix it? Hope so. We like restoration threads!

Off-side is the right hand side of the car; near-side the left as if you were sitting in it looking over the bonnet.

I’ll probably get it repaired. It’ll still be worth more repaired than if it had a one way trip to the scrapyard.

Wow. Looks like the EU annual inspection is WAY more in depth than a US annual at Jiffy Lube (NO I don’t go there, just making a comparison).

Perhaps you can answer another question for me. I’ve noticed that many EU spec cars have what looks like a small brake light mounted beneath the rear bumper? I’ve also seen some that have a rubber looking strap that hangs from the bumper and touches the street. Can you enlighten me on these things? Sorry to get off topic.

Repair immediately (major defects)
Hazard warning switch inoperative
Horn sound not in accordance with requirements

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories)
Fuel pipe/s corroded (From tank to front/badly corroded.) *Dangerous*

Some pictures of the corrosion. The main problems were where the frame joins onto the body.
Wow. Looks like the EU annual inspection is WAY more in depth than a US annual at Jiffy Lube (NO I don’t go there, just making a comparison).

Perhaps you can answer another question for me. I’ve noticed that many EU spec cars have what looks like a small brake light mounted beneath the rear bumper? I’ve also seen some that have a rubber looking strap that hangs from the bumper and touches the street. Can you enlighten me on these things? Sorry to get off topic.

”Brake light” is actually a fog light. Invariably put on when there is a slight hint of mist and then forgotten about, blinding all and sundry...
The rubber strap thing is an earthing strap. Any static electricity that has built up will then go to ground as you drive. More of a gimmick I suspect.

Reactions: 04 LJ

I've got an old Land Rover, and yes the MOT inspection (as some call it in England) can be onerous, at least that is what LR owners have said. Depending on the inspector, you could get flagged for all manner of items.

I recall those straps hanging down on some vehicles are intended to ground the vehicle, aimed at eliminating static electricity. I wonder how necessary they are. Maybe some locales have greater issues with static electricity than others..

That is all reparable. The surface rust around the control arms doesn't look too bad. That you could likely clean up with wire-wheel and then use a rust treatment paint like POR15. The center section looks like garbage (maybe you say rubbish), but these sections can be purchased from SafeTCaps. Likewise the torque box(s) likely need to be replaced. I didn't see fuel or brake lines, but I can image they look bad.

It will be annoying because every bolt is going to give you trouble removing it.

I didn't see any rust on the body so this definitely seems worth the investment to get the frame solid.

Many thanks for the encouragement DetroitTJ. After its MoT failure, I was really thinking about either just trying to sell it as “spares or repair” on a well known Internet auction website or perhaps breaking it for parts; but someone I know also thinks that it is salvageable and is coming to see the TJ tomorrow with a view of getting it welded.