Keychain Delivered

I have the pilot bearing out but now need to get the bushing out. You think the bread trick will work with the bushing too? I'll have to hunt for a pretty large bolt to push it out.

Whatever you use, bread, grease, wet paper towels, etc., the concept is all the same. You are using hydraulic pressure to jack the bushing out. That also means that whatever you are using for a plunger has to be a tight fit in the bushing hole. Also, when you smack the plunger, you need to drive it in straight. If you hit it off angle, then that binds it up in the bushing bore and that kills a lot of the force you are trying to tranfer to your "liquid".

The only nut part that works well is the one in the big hole. If you try to drill and tap the two sides and jack it out, than you will break the screws off since the holes will not be through holes unless you drill into the crank. You can however, drill and tap the two sides for 1/4" or so and bolt a nut in place using a washer over it and use that to jack it out. I've done it that way but it takes too long for me.

All other things being equal, welding a nut to the bushing is easiest.

Don't believe I have the right tool for the job here. I got both transmissions out and the pilot bearing but need to replace the crank bushing. I have a blind bearing puller but can not get it to lock had enough to get it to budge. What tool do i need. Thought about welding a nut to it but my welder is inop at the moment.

View attachment 506364

Literally took 3 mins to get the bushing out with this tool. $23 at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...aring/two-jaw-pilot-bearing-puller-58209.html

IMG_2574.jpeg

Reactions: Mike_H
If that is the same as the others, it only works if the bushing hasn't been driven in until it bottoms out in the crank hole. If that has been done, there is nothing for the little ridges on the end of the two fingers to grip.

Yes, I guess I was lucky.

Bought the HF tool. Not so lucky with these. So after 2 days of stress anxiety both jeeps are going to local shop to have the bushing removed. Shop will also be doing my gears and lockers as I’ve put poor @LJonloan through enough hell with this.

• Sad
Reactions: JMT

My fingertips hurt as I type this. Lol!!

Good work guys. Some of this takes a long time. The engine harness is one of them. It’s nice to get it refreshed though. I’m sure there was mostly crumbly loom. Just think, you’re ~18 years ahead of everyone else now that you’ve replaced it. I suspect people should be doing this work on their rigs as maintenance now.