Leaving Californy with a banjo on my knee

20220925_182341.jpg

20220925_111552.jpg

20220925_111804.jpg

Then these turkeys wandered thru our campsite just before we left.
20220926_064120.jpg

We spent the night at a rather sketchy rv park near White Lake, SD. Vin stole another of my 805s and got hammered. The next morning, while hooking up the auxiliary brake system in the Jeep, I broke off the end of the multifunction switch. The O'Reilly's auto parts 25 miles down the road in Mitchell had one in stock, so after picking that up, a side trip to the Corn Palace was in order.
20220926_191333.jpg

20220927_092458.jpg

Then we were back into visiting family and friends. Our first stop was in Lincoln, NE, to see my Aunt Nicky, who I haven't seen since I was about 8 years old. She's my Mom's youngest sister, and we're actually closer in age to each other than they were.

Then we were off to the big city of Fonda, Iowa to visit Becky's cousins. In the meantime, we were closing on the house we bought in Newport News, and we stopped along the way at a Wells Fargo branch in Dennison, Iowa to make the wire transfer. We boondocked next to the barn at one of Becky's cousin's farm.

Then a short drive down to Des Moines, where we camped at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. We had about 5 acres to ourselves. The next morning, a mobile notary came to the motorhome, and we signed the closing papers for the house. This was Sept. 30th.
20220928_195934.jpg

20220930_070954.jpg

20220929_144042.jpg

Our dog, Dyna, liked Iowa.
20220929_145535.jpg

Up to this point, we had good luck finding RV parks on the fly. In Illinois, the place I had wanted to stay was booked full. Something about a football game in the area. We ended up 50 miles down the road, and boondocked in a Walmart parking lot. Many communities don't allow that any more, and some Walmarts themselves don't allow it, because the homeless have abused the privilege and set up semi-permanent camps. If they allow it, Walmarts, Cracker Barrels and other places are great if all you want is a place to get some shuteye.
20220930_195655.jpg

Reactions: SvtLdr and reddvltj
Our next stop for a couple of days was at Becky's cousin Rhonda's place near Owensboro, KY. Rhonda and her husband, Greg are great folks and they really put out the welcome mat for us.
20221002_080258.jpg

I really liked Owensboro. We visited Smothers Park along the Ohio River, the Bluegrass Hall of Fame, and I had to stop at the Nicky Hayden Memorial.
20221002_121402.jpg

20221002_125536.jpg

20221002_131152.jpg

20221002_124650.jpg

After a couple days in Kentucky Becky and I were getting pretty anxious to get to Newport News and the new (to us) house. The drive through Kentucky, West Virginia, and into Virginia on I-64 was beautiful. We made good time, but at the cost of not really stopping to check out the local attractions.
310649564.jpg

307487663.jpg

Now the fun part.
310229253.jpg

310723287.jpg

310724323.jpg

Looks like a fantastic trip! There are so many beautiful places to see in this country. Congrats on the house and move.

When we took our motorhome from So Cal to lake Michigan and back, we saw a lot of the same places. And yes, I too got suckered in by the hundreds of miles of Wall Drug signs. Such a tourist trap, but a fun stop.

Our next stop for a couple of days was at Becky's cousin Rhonda's place near Owensboro, KY. Rhonda and her husband, Greg are great folks and they really put out the welcome mat for us.

I really liked Owensboro. We visited Smothers Park along the Ohio River, the Bluegrass Hall of Fame, and I had to stop at the Nicky Hayden Memorial.

View attachment 368067

Super sad about Nicky Hayden. I loved watching him race Superbike and MotoGP.

Well done Sir! Glad you made it safely and (mostly) w/o incident. My wife and I moved from NC to SoCal for her work back in July of 2003. After 18 great years in the Dana Point and San Clemente area (excepting a one year nightmare move to Phoenix), we decided to move back to NC - not so much because of the political climate in CA per se, more due to how close the houses are to one-another in those beach communities (Geez - you can pass the sugar bowl out the kitchen window to your neighbor, LOL). We had some "annoying" neighbors move in next to us who had NO regard for anyone except themselves; that was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back. We did all our own packing, but paid movers to move the 200+ boxes that we packed. Interesting sidebars: 1). We couldn't rent an RV to go back East one way like we did when we moved from NC to CA - the company said that SO many people were leaving CA for points East that it was costing them too much $ to transport them back. We bought a small 21' 1998 Coachmen Starflyte built on a Ford Econoline E350 chassis with the Ford Triton V10; after my spending a couple months prepping and modding it for the trip, we loaded our four rescue cats aboard and blitzed to Pittsboro NC, making it ahead of the moving truck in 3 days. 80-85mph on cruise control the whole way (with two fingers on the steering wheel thanks to my mods, which included installing a rear sway bar and inflatable suspension bags - the Triton V10 didn't even hiccup and didn't use/leak a single drop of oil. 2). I was slack-jawed during my many trips to Lowe's and Home Depot to buy boxes as just how many people other than me were buying them to move out of state; anecdotal I know, but an observation nevertheless. Paid cash for a wonderful house on close to 3 acres here in P-Bo' - I can go out in the backyard and fire my .45ACP's with impunity. No HOA's, property taxes are 1/2 what we were paying in CA (even that those were fairly "modest" compared to what others were paying there), no Emissions Testing here in Chatham County, and we're close to my wife's family (a blessing AND a curse if you know what I mean and I THINK you DO!) and I'm close to all my "back East" friends that I grew up with...

And yes, the people back East ARE much friendlier (and more like REAL friends) than the people I met in SoCal. In my 18 years there I made exactly TWO friends - people in SoCal seem to be "self-absorbed" to put it (fairly) nicely. The ONLY thing we miss at ALL is the weather, and my wife actually prefers "the change of seasons". *I* could live where it's 77 degrees and sunny EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and be perfectly happy - but it'll take hitting a BIG lottery payoff for us to move back to CA (as in: able to buy a place where I can piss off of my front porch right into the Pacific, with no neighbors visible on either side or behind me). I have always tried to not get too "involved" in politics - it's the equivalent of picking the leper with the most fingers to make your BBQ sandwich; WHOEVER you choose you're gonna be "eating" something that you don't WANT to be eating...

Yes there are only about 15 last names in Bama, but it's not from marrying cousins, unless you are kin to @AndyG.....

The last name deal started in the elementary schools, it's easier to teach kids how to spell Jones, Smith and such names than it is to spell Montgomery or Birmingham :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Everyone use to be named Smith until they were bad and had to change their name.

All the Lib's in Commifornia say that smog is caused by Cow farts , well when we had our last manager meeting in Anaheim I didn't see any Cow's so I guess it was them doing all the farting making the smog. So I guess you better hope they quite eating all that rich food when they move to your state ! LOL !

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj and Chris
All the Lib's in Commifornia say that smog is caused by Cow farts , well when we had our last manager meeting in Anaheim I didn't see any Cow's so I guess it was them doing all the farting making the smog. So I guess you better hope they quite eating all that rich food when they move to your state ! LOL !

Don’t worry, they’ll be eating bugs soon enough if Klaus has it his way 😆

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj and SAWB