LED headlights lumens too high for on-road use?

I have never seen an LED warm a lens before. The LEDs themselves get hot typically due to the driver which is why the heat sink is built into the housing like it is, but the warmth doesn’t radiate out to the lens in my experience. I’ve run led bulbs in various vehicles for years too and the brighter ones get super hot (200° to the touch) yet still produce no heat on the housing, unlike an incandescent bulb which does.

In my experience anyways. I’d definitely buy heated lens headlights just because it’s not a lot more money and is nice insurance just in case.

I have never seen an LED warm a lens before. The LEDs themselves get hot typically due to the driver which is why the heat sink is built into the housing like it is, but the warmth doesn’t radiate out to the lens in my experience. I’ve run led bulbs in various vehicles for years too and the brighter ones get super hot (200° to the touch) yet still produce no heat on the housing, unlike an incandescent bulb which does.

In my experience anyways. I’d definitely buy heated lens headlights just because it’s not a lot more money and is nice insurance just in case.
Most of those are plastic lenses which can't take any heat. These are glass, we'll see what they do.

Most of those are plastic lenses which can't take any heat. These are glass, we'll see what they do.
Since LEDs don't generate heat from infrared radiation there should be no difference between glass and plastic. I guess glass may transmit some heat generated from the heat sink through the housing then the glass.

Just out of curiosity, do you know the proper distance to follow behind a vehicle? Or at what point you outdrive the capability of your headlights?
As a rule of thumb at rest, if you can't see their back tires over your hood, you're too close.
Moving is minimum of one to two car lengths.

My first comment will be that even improperly aimed halogens can cuase oncoming traffic to think that your brights are on.
A raised vehicle has to address the aiming of the headlights to avoid causing blindness to oncoming drivers, regardless of light source. Obviously, shitty lumen output means folks won't realize that the oncoming lights are poorly aimed, and higher lumen output (combined along with the beam pettern) can make them think your brights are on.

Try aligning/aiming your lights and see if that stops the flashing and complaints.

266519130_2131511873690532_9023433064828857818_n.jpg

When I installed my headlights I did it text book and kept getting flashed. I just kept aiming them down a little bit each night until people stopped. Not fun to get blinded don’t want to do it to others.

I’ve been looking for new led headlights for my TJ but I don’t want to blind oncoming traffic. All of my other lights are led so I just want to complete the look.
Anyone know of any led’s that aren’t blinding bright?

did you not read the rest of this thread? Make sure they're properly aimed and they will be fine.
I think he did and learned that many LED headlamps out there are garbage and throw light where it doesn't belong even if properly aimed. Did you read the rest of the thread?

Did you read the rest of the thread?
I have, and I have contributed to it. Even the junk won't blind oncoming traffic if they're aimed correctly, even if that means not putting light where it would do the most good.
I don't like most LEDs. I can't see when the color temp is 6000k or above. Which all except the $$$$ one seem to be.
If I came off like a jackass, that wasn't my intent. There have been several posts here referencing "good" LEDs, but I'm still staying with halogens.

I’ve been looking for new led headlights for my TJ but I don’t want to blind oncoming traffic. All of my other lights are led so I just want to complete the look.
Anyone know of any led’s that aren’t blinding bright?
Try the new Holly RetroBright lights and let us know how they are: https://www.holley.com/products/electrical/led_lighting/retrobright/parts/LFRB155
  • Compliant - No-glare beam pattern meets or exceeds SAE and DOT Requirements
lfrb135_01_close.jpg

Last edited:
One car length PER 10MPH of speed up to 60MPH. After 60, add two car lengths per 10MPH.
long ago i learned it like this

but i think aaa decided it was too complicated and changed it to the three second rule

not sure though

what's really amazing is the change aaa made to side mirror adjustment

changed my life

I've noticed, since this thread, that the some of the offenders are people with old headlamps that are sun faded opaque, with aftermarket LED bulbs. The opacity+LED just makes the headlight a completely unaimable bright bright bright white spot.