Less telemarketers and robocalls

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
https://www.androidlane.com/ftc-fin...marketers-over-do-not-call-violations/390851/
FTC Finally Shuts Down Illegal Telemarketers Over Do Not Call Violations

do_not_call-1000x665.jpg

Federal trade commission is an American organization that was established in 1914. Working towards protecting the rights of consumers and preventing them from anti-business-like activities that can have an impact on them.

Recently FTC took action against telemarketers that have been extensively using the robocalls or robotic calls medium to contact consumers. Causing disturbance and annoyance among customers. FTC categorizes this practice as illegal.
What actions has FTC taken over Do Not Call violations?
As previously mentioned, FTC took it upon themselves to put a stop to these robocalls. An action against four major telemarketers pitching products like auto warranties, home security services, non-existent charities and surveys that were irrelevant.
The four telemarketing companies were using numerous non-existent company names to promote products that were never there, to begin with.
It is agreed that they have violated the terms imposed by the FTC Act and came to a settlement.
As per the settlement, a ban has been imposed on the telemarketers in terms of robocalling and any telemarketing related activities. If these companies are to not abide by the settlement and call consumers on Do Not Call list, they will have to pay a significant fine.
The telemarketing companies involved in this
The list of companies taken down after the ban includes Telweb, Netdotsolutions, TeraMesh, Salisbury, World Connection LLC,, Life Management services, veterans America and higher goals marketing.
This does not come as a surprise that most people have received phone calls from these companies even though they were registered on Do Not Call list.
They are not legit and are scam masters that have scammed many individuals. FTC took charge of the situation and dealt with them accordingly.
Veterans of America (VOA)
One such outrageous company that defied every moral or ethical standard was Veterans of America which was being run by an individual named Travis Deloy Peterson.
The business idea was to use the fake identity of veterans and prompt people to make donations.
This company has been accounted for making billions of calls to numerous consumers and emotionally instigating them to donate.

The idea is that, none of the companies mentioned in this article were real; all of them were working under fake names selling fake products and playing with the emotions of people.
Even though FTC has done significant work to counteract them still there will be companies that are going to be under the pretense of a legit business and would continue making these illegal calls.
What can You do?
what_can_you_do.jpg

There is always a way to deal with problems like these. With certain steps taken into consideration, you should be able to get out of situations like these.
Some steps that can be undertaken are:
One simple way in which these calls can be avoided is not to answer them. When you see an unknown number, simply avoid it. If it is someone who knows you, they would message until then, just don’t pick these phone calls. In case you picked it up, just hang up once you realize there is a robot at the other end.
If the Caller ID shows its a local number, that does not necessarily mean it is from someone within the vicinity. Since, internet has now enabled individuals to conceal their phone numbers and change location as well.
Never give out your personal information, not even your name. When you get a call asking for your social or bank details, it is better just to hang up. You might also be pressured to give out more information, be very cautious and tactful.
If you are consistently being bothered by these phone calls, simply block them, its the easiest way of dealing with this situation.
If the person at the other end claims to be working for an organization, then connect with that organization directly. Inquire about it as most of these illegal calls use the name of legit businesses. This is to attract more customers and to look more authentic.
Another way is to download call blocking apps. Some of them from these apps are free and will ask access to your contact numbers. You can also call your mobile network company and give them the number to be blocked, which is going to be a more efficient way of handling calls like these.
Conclusion
FTC is doing whatever it can to secure the rights of consumers. Consumers should also make an effort of dealing with problems like these themselves and report it. Prevention from most of the situations is within reach just a step towards the measure is required to be able to handle it.

At best it will put a minor dent in what is a billion dollar industry. They'll still continue to harass you and find other ways to do it too.

I get calls multiple times a week that are coming from the same area code as my cell. I never answer them. Sometimes there are multiple calls a day. If its important whoever is on the dialing end will leave a voicemail

As far as mail--everyday I get xm radio, "sell your home", extended warranties, credit cards, etc...I bet 90% of my mail is actual garbage.

Reactions: Jack72
Yeah... that doesn't stop the illegal calls because they don't care...

I get calls multiple times a week that are coming from the same area code as my cell.

Same. When/if I call them back they are actual real people's phone numbers. I've even had people call me saying that I called them. There is no malicious apps on my phone so the spoofing is happening at a gateway.

I have started using Google assistant to screen my calls. It hilarious when the bot talks to a bot.

Reactions: Chris and tworley
I have been getting so many, I set my phone to only ring with calls in my contacts. I received around 30 last Friday. Some days it is a constant barrage.🤬

As I typed this, I got one😵

Reactions: Chris and tworley
Amy calls me every few weeks. She is so polite and says she can help me lower my APR. Also, this Chinese lady keeps calling me but I don't understand what she wants.

I think somebody wrote my name and number on a bathroom stall in a southern state. I get a call once a year from males looking to hook up and try to remind me about last night (I am happily married to my wife). It's probably been going on 5 or 6 years now. I even have some voicemails.

Edit: I found the voicemails. He's Chuck from North Carolina.

Amy calls me every few weeks. She is so polite and says she can help me lower my APR. Also, this Chinese lady keeps calling me but I don't understand what she wants.

Dear sweet Amy. She got my attention the first few times she called me. Eventually I caught on to her tricks.

• Haha
Reactions: Jack72 and Alex01
My number used to be close to a rehab emergency contact number. I actually had the real number memorized so I could tell them what number to call, it was odd to say the least.

I get a live voice mail every week from a woman saying I need to call her about my CC debt, mortgage etc. I have been considering calling her back and f-ing around with her as I have no CC debt or mortgage and seeing her dance around the topic.

• Haha
Reactions: Twopoint and Chris
I get a live voice mail every week from a woman saying I need to call her about my CC debt, mortgage etc. I have been considering calling her back and f-ing around with her as I have no CC debt or mortgage and seeing her dance around the topic.
I always click through to the live person on the credit card ones and ask them which card. Huh? You want to lower my interest rate, which card? Which ones do you have? You tell me, you're the one who called me. click

You recently stayed at a Marriott, we have a gift or deal for you. Fuck off, I've never stayed at a Marriott anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Twopoint and Chris

Yea, what is the deal with Marriott??

Marriott is thought of as a luxury brand. And those that think it is might get excited that there has been some kind of mix up where they can benefit by playing along. I'll get similar calls from "cruise lines".

The psychology of the scam is interesting.

My cell phone still starts with a Texas area code since I never switched the number after I moved. However, that's turned into a bit of a perk since I can generally tell if a call from an unknown number is a robo call since it will come in with the same area code and first 3 digits as my cell phone, which would never happen if someone locally tried to call me.

Reactions: ICDGary
I always click through to the live person on the credit card ones and ask them which card. Huh? You want to lower my interest rate, which card? Which ones do you have? You tell me, you're the one who called me. click

You recently stayed at a Marriott, we have a gift or deal for you. Fuck off, I've never stayed at a Marriott anything.

A couple years ago I toyed around with a scam caller. Whatever I did must have been especially irritating, because later that day and for the next couple weeks I was hit with an incredible onslaught of calls like never before or since.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I have gotten a few texts recently.

Yea, what is the deal with Marriott??
No idea. It is spam at best, scam most likely. It certainly isn't invited and I've never stayed at a Marriott owned property at any time. Not unless they figured out how to buy the desert and have title to my camper. Then, I've never knowingly stayed on a Marriott property.

A couple years ago I toyed around with a scam caller. Whatever I did must have been especially irritating, because later that day and for the next couple weeks I was hit with an incredible onslaught of calls like never before or since.
I do that to the "Your social has been suspended until you call us to clear up some problems". I click through and ask them what my social security number is. Huh? Well, you called me, what is my number? It is suspended. You do know that the SSA does not conduct any business whatsoever over the phone and never calls anyone, right? click.

Doesn't seem to affect the frequency much.