Let’s talk about rear sway bars

never monday

TJ Addict
It looks like our OE rear is 5/8”and I see options from Addco and Helwig at 3/4” has anyone tried either of these?

How is that a better option?
It’s the same dia bar with likely longer arms so a lower rate vs a stock location mounted bar.
Plus it requires additional maods
My understanding is that the rear AR is stiffer than stock.

My understanding is that the rear AR is stiffer than stock.
I’ts def a larger diameter, I don’t know the arm length to do a rate calculation. If it’s matching the front AR, it’s around 75ft/lb
I do know it’s not an option without a BL and welding link tabs on that complicate future outboarding

I have the Helwig I got for free and installed only because my end links were worn. It definitely firmed it way up in the rear in the middle hole. So much so I moved it to it's loosest setting. Middle was fun and easy to rip a donut with, but it got to tail happy around sweepers. Since my Jeep isn't a Miata, I prefer a slight understeer bias.

Everybody should remember that bigger sway bars ≠ "better" handling. They are a way to tune your suspension just like anything else. Too firm of a sway bar at either end is going to cause some dramatic under/over steer.

Reactions: Fughuert
Interesting

26A41EFC-0791-4157-933B-F057800EDA2D.png

83CBB385-B67D-455B-9163-60179A0DB604.png

I have the Helwig I got for free and installed only because my end links were worn. It definitely firmed it way up in the rear in the middle hole. So much so I moved it to it's loosest setting. Middle was fun and easy to rip a donut with, but it got to tail happy around sweepers. Since my Jeep isn't a Miata, I prefer a slight understeer bias.

Everybody should remember that bigger sway bars ≠ "better" handling. They are a way to tune your suspension just like anything else. Too firm of a sway bar at either end is going to cause some dramatic under/over steer.
The Helwig has 3 positions?
Whats the length of the arm to each hole?

Assuming the center hole is the same as OE and the centers are 1” appart. That means +/- 1” from oe arm length. It looks like ~50# difference for each hole.

45B34392-E827-4BE7-9EE2-957F54918A14.png

3872F873-1325-42D5-98FE-2B0D0F0E3366.png

Last edited:
Good to keep in mind. I also have mine in the loosest setting. I was wanting to have a roof top tent down the line so that was a contributing factor in me getting it.