License plate carrier, front, fairlead mount, WIP

We have two options. I can send out kits early next week for those in a hurry and don't need instructions. Or, we can wait several days so I can get the instructions done. Which?

We have two options. I can send out kits early next week for those in a hurry and don't need instructions. Or, we can wait several days so I can get the instructions done. Which?

No Instructions necessary.
For ones that need them, they could be put into a .pdf document and downloaded later.

Personally, I'd like it as soon as I can get it, and I don't think I need instructions necessarily, but that instant gratification desire is just driven by impatience. Whatever path you choose will be fine for me, Mr. Blaine. My LJ isn't quite drivable right now, anyway. I'm just happy you decided to produce these, and especially with the improvements made!

Reactions: L J
So how do we get on the pre-order order list?
(No instructions needed)

I don't do pre-orders normally. As soon as I get one assembled, I'll get it up on the website and post a link to them. Sadly, I could not get the costs where I want them to be so they will be a little higher than I would like. That is one of our new normal challenges. The price of everything has gone up higher than is pleasant. To put that in perspective, I changed some of the hardware out to be a different style because my hardware cost was almost 7 bucks for 12 small fasteners. Latches are almost 10 bucks for 2, 35 for lasering out the parts, and anodizing in UV resistant is almost 10.

There are days when I would just stop trying if I really didn't believe some stuff just needs to be out there. But, that is also the price we pay for domestic manufacturing on a small scale. I could get these done overseas for 1/5th the cost and similar volumes but that is fairly contrary to how I think about stuff.

At best, this is a 60 dollar item and that is below my cost.

You have to make a profit. Anyone who's ever purchased anything you've designed know we're getting a top quality product for the money! We also know you're not gouging us on the price either.
Thanks for all the TJ/LJ stuff you design and sell, it's a better place for all of us.

Ordered!

[URL]https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/WRG-License-Plate-Mount-WRG-LPM.htm[/URL]

Thanks for doing these, Mr. Blaine! Rock Sliders next, please! :cool:

I'm breaking in a new machinist on the steering knuckles of two different sizes. My spare time for the forseeable future will be consumed with that project and maybe some sleep here and there. I'm already over my limit of 1/2 a day and I've still got a few hours to go. I'll be at the machine before 6:30 in the morning for reference. Look at my first post time today. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: psrivats
Personally, I'd like it as soon as I can get it, and I don't think I need instructions necessarily, but that instant gratification desire is just driven by impatience. Whatever path you choose will be fine for me, Mr. Blaine. My LJ isn't quite drivable right now, anyway. I'm just happy you decided to produce these, and especially with the improvements made!

I'll post up a few helpful hints just in case.
There are 3 sizes of metric screws and corresponding nylon lock nuts.
The big ones hold the plate to the plate carrier.
The itty bitty ones hold the latches to the latch tabs.
The ones that are not the big ones and not the itty bitty ones hold the latch tabs to the plate carrier. They are also not black if you are visually dimensionally challenged.

The latch tongue should not be allowed to hook over the end of the tab while assembling. If you do let it happen, the screws have to come back out.

DSC01516.JPG

Tighten them just enough that the latch can slide back and forth in the slots. Adjust final tension just enough to stop the mount from wiggling around too much at final fitment testing.

The rest is self explanatory except the fairlead mount has a puzzle cut that goes on the bottom. That is done so you don't have to spool off the line to install it behind the fairlead.
1687564289469.png

I'm breaking in a new machinist on the steering knuckles of two different sizes. My spare time for the forseeable future will be consumed with that project and maybe some sleep here and there. I'm already over my limit of 1/2 a day and I've still got a few hours to go. I'll be at the machine before 6:30 in the morning for reference. Look at my first post time today. ;)

I’ve said before that I’m not as observant as you, but I’m still pretty observant. I often wonder how you post all day (and part of the night) long and still get a bunch of stuff done. And then you sell a part like this at a very low margin. Obviously, it’s not just about making a buck, and that’s rare.

The request for sliders is purely selfish on my part!

I'll post up a few helpful hints just in case.
There are 3 sizes of metric screws and corresponding nylon lock nuts.
The big ones hold the plate to the plate carrier.
The itty bitty ones hold the latches to the latch tabs.
The ones that are not the big ones and not the itty bitty ones hold the latch tabs to the plate carrier. They are also not black if you are visually dimensionally challenged.

The latch tongue should not be allowed to hook over the end of the tab while assembling. If you do let it happen, the screws have to come back out.

View attachment 435250
Tighten them just enough that the latch can slide back and forth in the slots. Adjust final tension just enough to stop the mount from wiggling around too much at final fitment testing.

The rest is self explanatory except the fairlead mount has a puzzle cut that goes on the bottom. That is done so you don't have to spool off the line to install it behind the fairlead.
View attachment 435251
That "Puzzle cut" is sheer fucking genius!

Reactions: Austin O.
I’ve said before that I’m not as observant as you, but I’m still pretty observant. I often wonder how you post all day (and part of the night) long and still get a bunch of stuff done. And then you sell a part like this at a very low margin. Obviously, it’s not just about making a buck, and that’s rare.

The request for sliders is purely selfish on my part!

It only looks like I post all day. With rare exception, any post during daylight is when I've come back in the house to take care of a shipping label or to look up something for someone, or a shipping error I'm fixing. While I'm waiting the few minutes for a label to be printed, I read the forum for a few minutes and then back out.

It is never about making a buck. I like design and development and it took me a very long time to get over being pissed off because folks copy my shit. Now I'm at it again and they can try and keep up.

I am assuming the puzzle cut is to allow you to put this on without removing the winch cable completely. Nice... I think I have already removed that cable a couple times. Before I go wheeling again - I think I need to pull the cable out and put it back on under tension (I was in a hurry last time I took it off).

Anyway - ordered. Think I have been waiting about 2 years to get my paws on this.

Any chance you are going to start making LJ sliders any time soon... Mostly a joke, but I think I have been waiting on those for just about as long. I am hoping to get everything done on my jeep (at least everything I have started for this level of the build) in a month or so (2.5 years in process so far). Then I need to give you a call if I decide to take it to the next build level. Of course, I have felt that way (just 2 more months) for most of the last 2.5 years.

Last edited: