Lift kit install advice needed

BBQBOB

I dropped off my 2000 2.5L TJ for a lift kit install today and the mechanic looked erything over and said we will likely need to add front and rear adjustable bars to keep the Jeep centered and prevent death wobble.

Parts to be installed:
2” BDS springa
0.75” day star spacers
rancho rs5000x shocks
Supreme bumpstop extensions
New class 10.9 hardware

When looking online, it looks like adjustable track bars are recommended for lifts >2.5”.

My options appear to be:

1. Install what I have and see how it rides
2. Scrap the 0.75” spacers and just do the 2” lift
3. Buy front and rear adjustable track bars and install with everything else

I would appreciate your advice and opinions

Thanks
Bob

You will not get death wobble from installing the list of parts you have, adjustable track bars or not. If the 'mechanic' is stating that as a fact, it seems they just want to charge more labor, and/or parts markup for them if they order the adjustable track bars.

I have that same height lift, and only put on an adjustable rear track bar to center the rear axle, because I wanted to. It's not absolutely necessary, and death wobble will NOT happen as a result of putting on a 2" lift. I ran for a while without the rear adjustable track bar, and it drove the same as pre-lift.

Any chance you could skip this 'mechanic' and install everything yourself? Totally doable by the shade-tree mechanic.

It sort of depends on why he said you need them. If the ones you have are worn and need replacing, then it totally makes sense to go with adjustable track bars.

If the ones you have are perfectly fine, then it's optional. However, your axles will not be centered and your tires will stick out a little more on the left in the front and on the right in the rear.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
He purely said I will need them because the Jeep will not be centered and this will create issues.

The kit should come with a relocation bracket for the rear TB to center it, so only the front will be off center, and not by much, 1/2" - 3/4" at most.

He purely said I will need them because the Jeep will not be centered and this will create issues.
A 2" lift does indeed slightly shift the axles to the side, front toward the driver's side and rear toward the passenger side. But that will NOT cause issues or Death Wobble. 2" lifts are installed all the time with the axle shifted out to the side slightly like that without any problems whatsoever. I ran a 2" lift for a couple years without any issues at all. That mechanic is blowing smoke where the sun doesn't shine.

Thanks all for the helpful feedback.

If it were your TJ, would you add a front adjustable track bar and rear relo bracket to correct this? Or receive it back from shop and see how it sits / drives?

Thanks all for the helpful feedback.

If it were your TJ, would you add a front adjustable track bar and rear relo bracket to correct this? Or receive it back from shop and see how it sits / drives?
Wait until after your drive home when you realize everything is fine.

Reactions: BBQBOB
Got the TJ back from the shop and LOVE the lifted stance, believe I need 33s now but that is a different story....

Anyways, the Jeep is slightly off on the axles and the mechanic keeps stressing the importance of adjustable track bars to make sure everything is centered and safe. Said how it sits now the bushings, tires, etc will wear improperly and there is an increased roll over risk.

I am taking all of that with a grain of salt.

For peace of mind, I am considering DIY track bar relocation brackets (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=250785603330), installing 33s and getting a professional wheel alignment.

Thoughts?

LkfFhsG.jpg

WQVhVDj.jpg

GyP3BYI.jpg

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I believe that the adjustable track bars are a good investment. My Rubicon had a cheap lift kit (4") on it when I bought it. It was kinda exciting to drive on the road. I was dumb about Jeeps and thought the poor driving characteristics were the result of the lift and the short wheelbase. When I had some wobble problems, I started replacing the original lift stuff with good quality partrs. I ended up replacing both track bars (Currie Front, JKS rear) and the control arms (Currie). My Jeep drive like a regular car now. It was money well spent for me.

Reactions: skrelnik
Looks good! While you do not need the adjustable trackbars, and without me knowing the mechanic, he could be a meticulous guy that wants to do things properly and thus recommending the track bars, or, he could have no clue and wants to make a couple more bucks from more hours of labor. I'd go with your gut instinct if the mechanic is shady or not.

I have a 2" lift and use adjustable trackbars up front and in the rear. Whichever route you go, nothing, relocation brackets or adjustable bars, you will be fine.

Looks good and time to read up on mods so you can fit those 33s.

I had a Zone 3" lift installed on my Jeep. They use a relocation bracket in the rear, and drill a new mounting hole in the front. My front axle was off center about 3/4", but it drove and handled nice (on the street), or at least much better than before the lift. Maybe new control arms with bushings helped. Although it handled well, I installed an adjustable front track bar. My axle is much closer to center, and I don't notice any difference in handling.

My rear axle is off about 1/4", and an adjustable rear track bar is down on my priority list.

Personally, I would go with adjustable track bars if/when you can afford it and forget about the relocation brackets.

Having your axles centered under the Jeep is certainly a desirable goal. Having 1 axle shifted right and the other shifted left is obviously not ideal.

Personally, I would go with adjustable track bars if/when you can afford it and forget about the relocation brackets.

Having your axles centered under the Jeep is certainly a desirable goal. Having 1 axle shifted right and the other shifted left is obviously not ideal.

Are those easy to DIY install and adjust?

Are those easy to DIY install and adjust?

I believe they are easy. I haven't done them yet, but will very soon and have been researching the install.

Extreme terrain has an installation video, and on the zone 4.25 instructions, it is a 2 step process.

Basically mount and drill a hole.

Basically mount and drill a hole.

No holes needed to install adjustable trackbars without a relocation bracket. Though some do require enlarging the existing holes.

They are not hard to install. Besides possible enlargement of existing holes, the only other modification needed is to cut some metal from the top of the rear axle mount to allow for clearance so the axle can drop further without interference.

And if you eventually go to a DC driveshaft in the rear and adjustable upper CAs to adjust your pinion angle, you'll need to notch the rear of the lower spring perches to prevent contact with the shocks.