Lift Question for 33's

Breto31

TJ Enthusiast
This is a post for future me, hoping to get a near stock TJ/LJ very soon. I know there will be overwhelming opinions in multiple ways, but I’d at least like some insight.

My current TJ has a 4” suspension lift. While it has served its purpose (I run 33’s), it comes with its own set of issues - t-case drop, t-case shifter issues, pinion angles, DPA, etc.. These are all things I remedied myself, but I’m hoping to get something more stock in the future. I feel that the 4” is a bit excessive for my tire size and overall use.

What are some favorites for a lift to run 33s? Height, brand? Where is the threshold to not have to do major mods like a MML or SYE/TC drop?

My old YJ had a 2.5” suspension lift, and ran 32’s perfectly fine, so in my mind, that’s where I’m at. I don’t believe I had to do any TC drop/SYE or even get new control arms.

If you want to do it without spending allot you can just get the Zone kit to run 33" tires, the 4.25" combo is a good blueprint for a lift done the correct way. Lots of bang for the buck running 33" tire on that. It is beyond the MML/TC drop threshold or pretty close to it. Lifting for 31" or 32" tires is not much bang for your buck. A stock TJ will run 31" tires. Suspension modifications beyond that is money better put into lockers and other fun stuff.

zone.jpg

This rig with the Zone kit on 33" tires is essentially a $500 lift kit, new tires and wheels or spacers for stock wheels and you'll walk all over any 31" build including some over the top ones on this site. There just isn't a way around the performance of bigger tires on the trail. I'd run 31" tires on a stock setup and put money into gears and lockers or run a zone style lift for 33" tires and save for or just get gears and lockers. The 31-32" build is a money pit.

If you want to do it without spending allot you can just get the Zone kit to run 33" tires, the 4.25" combo is a good blueprint for a lift done the correct way. Lots of bang for the buck running 33" tire on that. It is beyond the MML/TC drop threshold or pretty close to it. Lifting for 31" or 32" tires is not much bang for your buck. A stock TJ will run 31" tires. Suspension modifications beyond that is money better put into lockers and other fun stuff.

View attachment 353897

This rig with the Zone kit on 33" tires is essentially a $500 lift kit, new tires and wheels or spacers for stock wheels and you'll walk all over any 31" build including some over the top ones on this site. There just isn't a way around the performance of bigger tires on the trail. I'd run 31" tires on a stock setup and put money into gears and lockers or run a zone style lift for 33" tires and save for or just get gears and lockers. The 31-32" build is a money pit.

I agree with most of what you said but it does look like that rig you posted has a tc drop.

I’m hoping to run 33s with 3.5” suspension and 1” BL . Not planning on doing a tc drop , sye, or mmL unless I have to for vibes. But I do have an LJ .

I agree with most of what you said but it does look like that rig you posted has a tc drop.
That's one of the things I like about Zone, they are realistic and give you the drop with the kit and tell you what you can do to get rid of it. I tried to be clear, it's beyond the MML/TC drop threshold or pretty close to it meaning you might have to run it if you don't spend more.

View attachment 353897

To be honest, I prefer 33’s and that’s what I’d like to run - it’s what I have now. I’m almost positive that my current TJ has the Zone 4.25” kit (it was on it when I bought it). It has performed well, and I would run it again.

I just wasn’t sure if, say a 2.5” lift, was enough to have some decent clearance with 33’s, but still avoid the MML/TC drop. Seems like it would provide decent clearance for 33’s.

I’m hoping that my next one will be a LJR (got my eye on one, but I want to move mine first).

Skip the "R" the lockers suck and nobody really needs 4:1. The rocker guards are a joke and the wheels suck. Get a regular LJ, you'll be ahead of the game.

Skip the "R" the lockers suck and nobody really needs 4:1. The rocker guards are a joke and the wheels suck. Get a regular LJ, you'll be ahead of the game.

I'll strongly disagree with the 4:1 for anyone into technical rock crawling. The rest, yeah - a Rubicon isn't really worth the rest unless you want to put off getting better lockers (namely the rear LSD).

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
This is a post for future me, hoping to get a near stock TJ/LJ very soon. I know there will be overwhelming opinions in multiple ways, but I’d at least like some insight.

My current TJ has a 4” suspension lift. While it has served its purpose (I run 33’s), it comes with its own set of issues - t-case drop, t-case shifter issues, pinion angles, DPA, etc.. These are all things I remedied myself, but I’m hoping to get something more stock in the future. I feel that the 4” is a bit excessive for my tire size and overall use.

What are some favorites for a lift to run 33s? Height, brand? Where is the threshold to not have to do major mods like a MML or SYE/TC drop?

My old YJ had a 2.5” suspension lift, and ran 32’s perfectly fine, so in my mind, that’s where I’m at. I don’t believe I had to do any TC drop/SYE or even get new control arms.

I went with the OME ultimate kit (with motor mount lift) from DPG offroad for my 05 LJ on 33s and couldn't be happier. Did not have any issues with the t-case shifter or pinion angle problems. I did swap out the poly JKS body lift pucks for Savvy aluminum pucks. IMO, this kit has everything to 33s "right." Drives great on the highway and offroad. I installed the entire kit in my driveway. I wouldn't consider the MML a "major mod" ...took about three hours with a jack and hand tools to install. Also re-geared to 4.88s and am very pleased.

Reactions: Breto31 and Sancho
A good 4" lift leaves you with future options. It can handle full articulation with 33's. With a body lift, you can put on 35's. I think it is also a good starting point for outboarding. You can go with a smaller lift, but 35" and outboarding will mostly be starting over. All in all, while it is more effort than a smaller lift, it is significantly less effort than a larger one.

No need to go down the rabbit hole if you're happy with it. It looks good.

No rabbit hole here (yeah, riiiiiiight)
Springs are how I got it, plans are 3" springs and a 1.25" body lift, Already installed Savvy control arms and Currie steering and track bars

Reactions: pagrey

I’m hoping to run 33s with 3.5” suspension and 1” BL . Not planning on doing a tc drop , sye, or mmL unless I have to for vibes. But I do have an LJ .

You'll probably have vibes.

I am running 33s. I pieced together a lift with 2” ProComp springs, Rancho 5000x shocks and added a Daystar 1 3/4” spacer on the front. I added the spacer to level the front because of the front bumper and winch. Some may disagree with the spacer but it works for me. I haven’t added any bumpstops. I get some fender flare rub at full stuff but the the plastic flares give nicely when stuffed. I didn’t have to do a transfer case drop.

Kevin

EC73235C-7FC7-49E8-812A-4D83AD5F6A4C.jpeg

34380494-EB8E-40F2-A80A-BA60A03556E9.jpeg