Lift recommendations for 4 cylinder

2.5" lift and 31" tires would be the golden ticket for that thing, unless it's strictly an off-road vehicle, at which point the lack of power from larger tires and a lift wouldn't be a concern.

Reactions: SSTJ
I run 35s on 4.88 gears on my 4 cylinder and I've yet to be underpowered on a trail. It's definitely a challenge in some places but keeps up with the folks with the 2 extra pistons.

Reactions: Blondie70
I know this thread is old, but I thought I would share some results for others who may run across it.

Below is my ‘97 SE with 4.11 gears. I recently installed @Codaman’s “affordable” lift consisting of 0-2” Rancho’s, 2” springs, front leveling spacer, rear track bar bracket, and JKs disco’s. I’ve got Rubicon Moab 16” wheels with 265/70/16 (30.6”) A/T’s.

It’s been years since I added the larger wheel/tire combo, so I’ve forgotten what she was like beforehand. But the lift was done recently. I would say her street manners are still good. 5th gear works fine unless you hit a long uphill grade, but even then I’m only dropping into 4th about halfway up. Highway driving is tolerable, but city streets are much more enjoyable.
Offroad, she does great and has had the power for what I need. However, I’m not tackling serious obstacles with this setup. Speed is a little higher than I would like in 4low. While my buddies can crawl measured in inches per minute, I’m at probably 1.5mph at my slowest. It can be a bother, especially with the manual, when crawling on rocky terrain. Otherwise, I’m very happy.

For me and my budget, this is the stopping point before it begins to get very expensive. My tires are expired, so I may step up to 32”-33” M/T’s soon. Beyond that, I’m focusing on skid plates and armor. That will cost me as I plan to go aluminum to save weight. Maybe a lunchbox.
Once the engine finally gives out, I may re-evaluate.

91BDACEE-5A18-4C95-BE1B-20993A723347.jpeg

D87798B4-4758-4A6E-87E1-6BCE7874A30A.jpeg

Reactions: SSTJ