A recipe for an affordable but quality 2.5" lift

Thanks, @Chris and @CodaMan!

As the proud new owner of a 2000 TJ Sport 4.0 (w/Dana 44 rear end), this is exactly what I needed.

In fact, I have ordered exactly this list of parts this morning with the exception of the Rokmen ½" BL kit. I couldn't find it in stock, so I ordered a TeraFlex 1" aluminum BL kit.

I also order a set of 5 Pro Comp 97 Series Rock Crawler with new 32x11.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 tires mounted and balanced.

Everything should be here by 6/1/2021.

Now, I have a question. I'm not a mechanic. The most "advanced" thing I've done is changing brakes, drums, and/or rotors on several vehicles. Is this a DIY or should I have my mechanic handle all of this for me?

DIY it all the way and if you have any questions please ask before you get into trouble.

You need to get the body up on some good stands. the higher the better. Than i used a floor jack. Some good lighting also!

@Chris ,

Thanks for this. Could you say a little more about the need for the Track Bar Relocation Bracket? Or maybe just point me toward some good reading? I'm a noob, and don't know what this is or why it's needed.

Reactions: Vinsane
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
@Chris ,

Thanks for this. Could you say a little more about the need for the Track Bar Relocation Bracket? Or maybe just point me toward some good reading? I'm a noob, and don't know what this is or why it's needed.

The further you lift your TJ and push the axles away from the vehicle, the more you're going to misalign things. Lift a TJ 4-5" and your coil spring perches in the back are going to be at such an angle that the rear springs will want to come unseated if not setup properly.

The same can be said for the factory track bar mounting point. With a lift it's going to be causing your track bar to be in a bind. The track bar bracket alleviates this by putting the track bar at the correct angle for the new lift height. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean. The further away from the vehicle the axles are (more lift), the more extreme things will be in terms of not wanting to line up, etc.

Reactions: TJRicochet
The further you lift your TJ and push the axles away from the vehicle, the more you're going to misalign things. Lift a TJ 4-5" and your coil spring perches in the back are going to be at such an angle that the rear springs will want to come unseated if not setup properly.

The same can be said for the factory track bar mounting point. With a lift it's going to be causing your track bar to be in a bind. The track bar bracket alleviates this by putting the track bar at the correct angle for the new lift height. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean. The further away from the vehicle the axles are (more lift), the more extreme things will be in terms of not wanting to line up, etc.

Thanks very much. And so this is true even for a moderate lift like you’ve recommended here. What about something like a 1” lift? Would the track bar bracket still be necessary?

Thanks very much. And so this is true even for a moderate lift like you’ve recommended here. What about something like a 1” lift? Would the track bar bracket still be necessary?

Probably not with 1”, but at 2” and up it’s pretty standard. I don’t play around enough at these small lift heights to know as much as I should unfortunately. I got bitten by the big lift bug.

Reactions: SSTJ
Got all my parts and ready to get this done. I'm still unsure about one thing, if I get an adjustable rear track bar does that take away the need for a relocation bracket? I've seen people say yes and no.

I'm pretty new to car work in general an especially Jeep work (but working on it!), so I'm sorry if these are silly questions

I really want to throw this lift on my Jeep. Thinking about using the parts mentioned in the original post but subbing out the ProComps for the OME HD front/rear since I'm running a bit heavy.

I noticed there isn't a ton of mention of SYE's in this thread. Can anyone comment on that? I've been reading about when they are necessary. It sounds like with this smaller 2" spring lift coupled with the 1" MML mentioned in the original post, a SYE shouldn't be necessary, is that correct? If I get bad vibes I know that means I need to either explore an SYE or introduce some washers to drop my TC a hair. I'd love to save money on avoiding the SYE for now, as I'm saving up for a regear and some lockers.

I'm sticking with 31"s for now (until I get my regear cash in hand), so do I need to BBL? Or can I hold off on that until I bump my tire size? I've read a little about needing to modify my fan shroud if I do that, does anyone have more info on what that would involve? Is it easier to just throw the BBL on? Will that look silly with 31" tires? Thanks in advance

Reactions: Irun
I'm pretty new to car work in general an especially Jeep work (but working on it!), so I'm sorry if these are silly questions

I really want to throw this lift on my Jeep. Thinking about using the parts mentioned in the original post but subbing out the ProComps for the OME HD front/rear since I'm running a bit heavy.

I noticed there isn't a ton of mention of SYE's in this thread. Can anyone comment on that? I've been reading about when they are necessary. It sounds like with this smaller 2" spring lift coupled with the 1" MML mentioned in the original post, a SYE shouldn't be necessary, is that correct? If I get bad vibes I know that means I need to either explore an SYE or introduce some washers to drop my TC a hair. I'd love to save money on avoiding the SYE for now, as I'm saving up for a regear and some lockers.

I'm sticking with 31"s for now (until I get my regear cash in hand), so do I need to BBL? Or can I hold off on that until I bump my tire size? I've read a little about needing to modify my fan shroud if I do that, does anyone have more info on what that would involve? Is it easier to just throw the BBL on? Will that look silly with 31" tires? Thanks in advance
A body lift or motor mount lift isn't needed, neither is the SYE. If you're just sticking with 31" tires, just do the 2" springs and shocks. Save for the other stuff later.

It looks like pro comp has discontinued these springs. There’s a few fronts around I believe but doesn’t appear to be any rears at least in Canada. I’m thinking of substituting OME instead because they seem to be the most readily available in 2”. Although I don’t like the added costs.

It looks like pro comp has discontinued these springs. There’s a few fronts around I believe but doesn’t appear to be any rears at least in Canada. I’m thinking of substituting OME instead because they seem to be the most readily available in 2”. Although I don’t like the added costs.

Rough Country makes some reasonably priced 2.5" springs I believe.

Rough Country makes some reasonably priced 2.5" springs I believe.
Yes I believe they do. However most thing I’ve read about lifts say to try and avoid RC and SkyJacker. Springs alone may be ok. Perhaps someone with experience with them and others will chime in.

Yes I believe they do. However most thing I’ve read about lifts say to try and avoid RC and SkyJacker. Springs alone may be ok. Perhaps someone with experience with them and others will chime in.
This is true, but the springs are the only thing those guys make which I wouldn’t hesitate to run.

Definitely the cheapest set of springs out there. But that scares me as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.....sometimes.

Here's what I'm going to try for the time being
JKS adjustable rear track bar
JKS adjustable front track bar
JKS adjustable discos for the front
Rancho RS5000X shocks..
Rough Country 2.5" coils
Bilstein steering shock absorber
amazon bump stops

will likely run 32" or 31" as I wait for more parts

end goal is looking like 4 or 4.5" but I have a few things to get ahold of first

With my LJ, I went with ARB heavy duty springs and shocks specifically rated for the Lj..2.5 to 3 inch lift. After adding aftermarket rear bumper and and winch...it sits nicely on 32" tires could go up to 33s but I'll wait until I can regear the diffs...

Reactions: Moliver11