Lift reduction (2 inch down to 1 inch)

imactj2004

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm currently on a two-inch lift, sitting on 31's (30.5 to be precise), and want to bring it down a bit for my teenage daughter who will be using this is a daily driver. Don't want to go all the way back to stock, and i'll occassionally be taking it offroad on Forest Service, BLM, and private property backroads of Oregon. Thinking of going to 1" lift with 29's.

Is it as "simple" as replacing the springs and dropping tire size, or is there something else that I should be concerned with?

for context: the PO installed a RC 2" lift which rides like s*** (no surprise). I'm thinking of reverting back to OEM control arms.

You must have the RC 2.5" X series lift with adjustable control arms. I'd just get better shocks. You'd need springs, shocks and to adjust everything again.

Last edited:
Is it as "simple" as replacing the springs and dropping tire size, or is there something else that I should be concerned with?

It can be that simple.
A couple other things to check would be the trackbar relocated to account for the lift.
Or if the speedo gear was changed for the bigger tires?
Easy fixes.

How about this curveball - get her some Grabars. I bought them so short little girls could get into my jeep and it's even nice for my tall ass

• Love
Reactions: RINC
finally getting back to this, and attaching some picts. The lift has been cobbled together by previous owner with a combo of Rough Country arms in the front and Core 4x4 in the back, and then Rancho shocks throughout. I have no idea what these coil springs are.

Per reco from the lift thread, I want to go back to stock control arms throughout, and I am going to then go down to 29”
tires. Should I also drop a spring size?

IMG_7268.jpeg

IMG_7269.jpeg

IMG_7270.jpeg

IMG_7271.jpeg

IMG_7272.jpeg

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Measure the coil height with the jeeps weight on it. 12" front and 8" rear is stock. Those don't look like rough country coils,they are silver.

You need to remove the bump stop extensions and get appropriate shocks to lower your jeep,in addition to shorter coils. That is if your coils are even 2" lift(14" and 10").

Start by measuring your coils,take the shock boots off and see if they are bottoming out. Find out what you have

I think you are heading in the right direction but maybe don't reduce the lift, just swap it out with more quality parts. Focus on getting good side steps or grab handles v.s. trying to reduce tire size or lift size. For your Rubicon's 4.10 gears, a 31, or even 32 inch tire size would be more appropriate. Good luck with the build and looking forward to seeing the end result. 🤠

Reactions: Rickyd
If you are lowering out of concern of how much the jeep leans when turning, you may just want to try replacing the antirock sway bar with a stock one first. I think trying to return to stock is going to open up a rabbit hole... looks like there is a skid plate drop, and many other modifications...

Reactions: JMT
If you are lowering out of concern of how much the jeep leans when turning, you may just want to try replacing the antirock sway bar with a stock one first. I think trying to return to stock is going to open up a rabbit hole... looks like there is a skid plate drop, and many other modifications...

Not to mention that the OP will also have much more trouble fitting Tonz and Fodeez under there…

😉

I'm currently on a two-inch lift, sitting on 31's (30.5 to be precise), and want to bring it down a bit for my teenage daughter who will be using this is a daily driver. Don't want to go all the way back to stock, and i'll occassionally be taking it offroad on Forest Service, BLM, and private property backroads of Oregon. Thinking of going to 1" lift with 29's.

for context: the PO installed a RC 2" lift which rides like s*** (no surprise). I'm thinking of reverting back to OEM control arms.

I hear you about wanting to lower from 2”to 1”, but I still agree with the majority. That’s too much work for just 1” (or 2” after smaller tires).

Grabars was a good suggestion.

Nerf bars are another good suggestion.

Springs don’t affect ride quality, so nothing to change there

Shocks that are the right length with 50:50 travel and correct bumpstops are what you need for best ride quality.

Tire pressure at 28psi

Return to a set of stock control arms if you don’t want the RC.

thanks all — I hear the logic of too much expense/not enough benefit.

But the other thing that is motivating this is the fact that my lift may not actually be a 2" lift. Its' a total cluster of cobbled parts, so ultimately I want/need to replace them anyway and my thought is that if I'm doing that then I may as well drop to 1".

But the other thing that is motivating this is the fact that my lift may not actually be a 2" lift. Its' a total cluster of cobbled parts, so ultimately I want/need to replace them anyway and my thought is that if I'm doing that then I may as well drop to 1".

Then remove all the aftermarket stuff, pick up some stock throw aways on FB or CL, and add a 1" spacer, or the equivalent of a 1" + the amount the springs are sagging.

But the other thing that is motivating this is the fact that my lift may not actually be a 2" lift. ....

Measure the springs and find out.

Reactions: Rickyd