Lift / Shock Question

MadSwagger

Hi all. Need some help from you experts. I've owned my 2005 TJ for 10 years, but I was in a front end accident and need to replace front control arms, lower front control arm mounts, shocks, and likely springs. My question for you is this: How do I figure out my current lift - I want to keep it the same as I have now. I've read the other posts on this forum and they have been helpful, but I am still unsure as to what is on the TJ now.

Some basic facts:
  1. Rough Country Performance 2.2 shocks
  2. BF Goodrich 33x12.5x15
  3. Before removing the fenders/hood/tires and while the jeep was sitting in the garage, I measured the springs (not sure I did it right) and they seem to be 14 inches long (and have what looks like "puck spacers" at the top that seem to be about 1 inch thick.
So, I have 3 questions:
  1. Do you think I have a 3.5 inch lift give or take (2.5 inch lift plus 1 inch puck spacers)? I've attached pics of the TJ, the shocks and the springs if that helps. Based on what I have read on this site, that it my guess, but I am happy to be corrected.
  2. What size/brand springs do you recommend?
  3. What brand model shocks do you recommend? This is basically a road jeep (some dirt roads, but it's my daily driver).
Thanks in advance for any help and direction.

Jeep.jpg
shock 1.JPG
spring 1.JPG
spring 2.JPG

Last edited:
To know lift, I wouldn't separate the two, spacer and spring, it's just all lift to me. You measure from the spring perch to perch, doesn't "matter" if it's spring and spacer. The stock was 12", so whatever that p to p measurement is in addition is lift. 8" in the rear same concept.

I had an old Rancho Spacer/Spring combo lift, and then just replaced with 4" Currie springs. The TJ didn't know the difference per se, ha.

Other questions I'll let people chime in.

Last edited:
Reactions: srimes
Thanks wolf. Total measure was 15.5 inches on passenger side front and 16 inches on driver's side front (approx) - I am assuming the slight difference is a result of the accident (pushed axel off center toward drivers side). Appreciate the input.

Reactions: cpwolf
Very happy with my Black Max shocks.

I replaced my rear control arm mounts with parts from Barnes after they were ripped off.

I love my Savvy control arms.

-Mac

Some basic facts:
  1. Rough Country Performance 2.2 shocks
  2. BF Goodrich 33x12.5x15
  3. Before removing the fenders/hood/tires and while the jeep was sitting in the garage, I measured the springs (not sure I did it right) and they seem to be 14 inches long (and have what looks like "puck spacers" at the top that seem to be about 1 inch thick.
So, I have 3 questions:
  1. Do you think I have a 3.5 inch lift give or take (2.5 inch lift plus 1 inch puck spacers)? I've attached pics of the TJ, the shocks and the springs if that helps. Based on what I have read on this site, that it my guess, but I am happy to be corrected.
  2. What size/brand springs do you recommend?
  3. What brand model shocks do you recommend? This is basically a road jeep (some dirt roads, but it's my daily driver).
Thanks in advance for any help and direction.

Based on this, if you have
Thanks wolf. Total measure was 15.5 inches on passenger side front and 16 inches on driver's side front (approx) - I am assuming the slight difference is a result of the accident (pushed axel off center toward drivers side). Appreciate the input.

So your update looks like it's either 3.5" or 4" as it sits. You have 33" BFG's and you want to stay the same. I would ask: What are the measurements in the rear? That shouldn't be as effected, are they 3.5 or 4?

Either way, I'd look at adjustable control arms to replace up front, I have Savvy aluminum, but Currie are awesome, Core 4x4 I put on our 08 JK and I like them.

Springs, there are options, I had Rancho and switched to Currie 4" springs. The Zhone and OME people have said great things about.

Shocks, I put on Rancho RS5000x and have been very happy. I've heard the Black Max are, normal Skyjacker my son got were crap, get the better. Fox people have said good things, and we replaced the Skyjacker with Bilstein on my son's JK and it rides really well. Those are ones I've heard, I would not get RC shocks. I have a garage of new in box Rough Country Truck Lifts etc, and Fabtech and Zhone, but for Jeeps I'm not a fan.

Just my $.02,. I've not replace control arm mounts, I've seen threads on it, no input from me.

Thanks wolf. Rear springs seem to be about 12 inches - no spacers as far as I can tell. Seems odd to me that there is such a difference between front and rear especially since the fronts have spacers too. Is it normal for front and rear springs to be so different?

Also, if I replace the front springs/shocks, should I also replace the rear ones (or does it not matter)? Sorry for all the novice questions.

Thanks wolf. Rear springs seem to be about 12 inches - no spacers as far as I can tell. Seems odd to me that there is such a difference between front and rear especially since the fronts have spacers too. Is it normal for front and rear springs to be so different?

Also, if I replace the front springs/shocks, should I also replace the rear ones (or does it not matter)? Sorry for all the novice questions.

Always ask...So in these two posts you wrote:

1. Fronts are currently 15.5 and 16 side to side.
2. Rear are 12.

So stock spring height front is 12" and yours measured 16" that is a 4" lift
Stock spring height rear is 8" and yours measured 12" that is a 4" lift.

So....you have a 4" lift (minus your front passenger front being 3.5" (15.5) and that could be the wreck etc. The other 3 are 4", so that would tell me that you have a 4" spring lift.

Now, replace that with 4" springs, and you will be where you are now. I'd seriously look at the Currie 4" TJ springs front. If you can swing all 4 go for it, but if you can't and need just front, I'd get them, maybe in the future you refresh the rear with Currie. If your current measure 4" as you noted rear, they aren't sagging.

Reactions: JMT
Sorry for all the novice questions.

My buddies and I are brutal, so you need thick skin, but this is how I always answer people that ask if they can ask a question.

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people, so ask away." HA. Joke, ha.

No worries, sorry you got hit, hope you get it fixed.

Thanks again, wolf.

I am going to look into the Currie 4" springs you mentioned and the Black Max shocks - probably going to start with the front end and, if needed, then replace springs/shock on the rear.

I cannot recall what original owner told me about lift, but I thought he said it was 2.5" and not 4", but based on the info you provided, it seems it must be 4". Looks like I'm gonna find out soon!

Thanks again and if anyone else has any insight or advice, fire away.

Reactions: cpwolf
Thanks again, wolf.

I am going to look into the Currie 4" springs you mentioned and the Black Max shocks - probably going to start with the front end and, if needed, then replace springs/shock on the rear.

I cannot recall what original owner told me about lift, but I thought he said it was 2.5" and not 4", but based on the info you provided, it seems it must be 4". Looks like I'm gonna find out soon!

Do you have isolators and spacers up front? Hard to tell in the picture.

Thanks again, wolf.

It’s best to replace the front and rear springs and get 4 matching shocks. It’s time for a refresh anyway, and this is a good time.

4” is technically correct for 33’s, but some run 2.5-3”. That will limit your shock travel. Best route is 4”. You’ll need proper length Black Max shocks. I don’t know the part no.’s, but someone will know.

It’s best to replace the front and rear springs and get 4 matching shocks. It’s time for a refresh anyway, and this is a good time.

4” is technically correct for 33’s, but some run 2.5-3”. That will limit your shock travel. Best route is 4”. You’ll need proper length Black Max shocks. I don’t know the part no.’s, but someone will know.

^^^ this, I would replace all 4 together if it was me, but I realize $ can be tight at times, and compromises have to be made. At minimum all 4 matching shocks.

Do you have isolators and spacers up front? Hard to tell in the picture.

There are two "spacers" on top of each front spring (not sure if I'm using the correct term - they look like black rubber pucks) - one is 5/8" thick and one is 3/4" thick - from what I have read on here, the 5/8" one is standard and the 3/4" one was probably added when the original owner lifted the TJ. I don't know what an "isolator" is - can you describe it for me. Thanks to all for the help!

Thanks JMT! I'm almost certain the guy I bought this from 10 years ago said it was a 2.5" lift and the RC Performance 2.2 seem to be used for that type of lift (I may be way off on that, but the google machine tells me that's the case). That said, after messaging with wolf and a few others on this thread, it seems I may actually have a 4" lift. When I compare the photo of the TJ itself and its stance with other photos I see on here of other TJs, it does seem like my lift is less than 4", but who knows. This is all learning for me - first time trying something like this on my own. Appreciate the advice!

Reactions: JMT
^^^ this, I would replace all 4 together if it was me, but I realize $ can be tight at times, and compromises have to be made. At minimum all 4 matching shocks.

Thanks wolf. I will see if I can find a decent package price for 4 springs and 4 shocks. Appreciate all you help!

Thanks wolf. I will see if I can find a decent package price for 4 springs and 4 shocks. Appreciate all you help!

Those shocks and springs aren’t sold as a set. Beware that if you go to 4” and you don’t already have an SYE, DC, and rear upper and lower CA’s, then you’ll need to get them or else you’ll have to do a TCase drop.

Here’s the deal: ~2.5” of suspension lift is the cutoff for easy. Above that can require a hefty amount of work and $$$.

Some pics of the underside could help.

Again, however, if you measured your springs with the spacer you know your lift amount.

Front: 12” stock. Anything above that is the amount of lift (e.g. 15”-12”=3” lift)
Rear: 8” stock. Anything above that is the amount of lift (e.g. 11”-8”=3” lift).

b8525 is black maxx front recommendation.

I am using b8575 for the front. It's a jk front shock and it's only slightly longer with nearly 2 inches more travel. Just have to add a bar pin to bottom bushing which is easy because they don't come with the lower bushings installed.

Here is a post comparing the 2 front shock measurements.

Post in thread 'Longwhitejeep LJ, 35's spec build' https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/longwhitejeep-lj-35s-spec-build.77458/post-1553477

Post in thread 'Longwhitejeep LJ, 35's spec build' https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/longwhitejeep-lj-35s-spec-build.77458/post-1554328

Rear shocks are b8528. I just added a small spacer to the currie bump stop setup.

Post in thread 'Longwhitejeep LJ, 35's spec build' https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/longwhitejeep-lj-35s-spec-build.77458/post-1557625

These shocks seem to work well woth currie 4 inch springs on my lj. Measurement wise they both pretty close to an even split for off the shelf options.

They seem a little stiff but I am liking them better than my Ranchos so far. Wheeling this weekend in them so we will see how they do in the dirt.

Hope that helps!

Those shocks and springs aren’t sold as a set. Beware that if you go to 4” and you don’t already have an SYE, DC, and rear upper and lower CA’s, then you’ll need to get them or else you’ll have to do a TCase drop.

Here’s the deal: ~2.5” of suspension lift is the cutoff for easy. Above that can require a hefty amount of work and $$$.

Again, however, if you measured your springs with the spacer you know your lift amount.

Front: 12” stock. Anything above that is the amount of lift (e.g. 15”-12”=3” lift)
Rear: 8” stock. Anything above that is the amount of lift (e.g. 11”-8”=3” lift).

Agree with all this. You may want to post pics of the front control arms and rear control arms, rear drive shaft and the transfer case and pinion. I'm going off the fact you had, what measures, a 4" lift, and assume it was all set up that way. If it's not a 4" lift, and it's 2.5", (which would be weird that they all measure 4") but if that's the case you may need a lot to make that 4" not cause issues.

Better to know, have the details, and a plan, than to think and end up down the spend rabbit hole. I'm down it by choice, but still, ha.

@JMT , the pics, one looks like it might have stock control arms? At least looks like maybe the upper? If that is the case, either you had a 4" lift that drove poorly would be my guess, or a 2.5" that's measuring 4 after the wreck. Either way, @MadSwagger you should, if you're looking at all this now, inventory the way it's set up now. TC if it has an SYE, control arms if they are adjustable etc. before buying anything .