Lifter replacement guidance

ChristopherJ

Supporting Member
Greetings again guys,

My new '99 TJ 4.0 has 59,000 miles on it, has sat around unused for most of its later life, and has some slight knocking coming from the engine. It has 2 types, a swishing type of tick, and some diesel-sounding knock from under the head. They actually occur at close but different tempos, and I have no idea what that indicates. I suspect that the ticking might be coming from something on the belt, but I don't have an ear for these things. I'm going to try some crankcase cleaner, but if that doesn't work, I might try finding the offending lifter and replacing it, since it appears they can be removed without removing the head. Should I replace all of the lifters since I'm going to be in there? Should I also go ahead and replace all of the rods and rocker arms with one of the kits from rockauto? Or should I just leave it alone? I understand the 4.0 makes a lot of noise, but I want this thing to last, I have plans to make a serious build out of it.

Also, can I get by with some of the premium parts from rockauto instead of going with Mopar? Are Mopar parts really worth the price? I wouldn't buy the cheapest available, of course, but the Mopar lifters are $26.79 each, compared to the SEALED POWER HT2011R Speed-Pro Hi-Revolution Hyd., which are $7.60 a piece. The cheapest are only $2.26.

Fel-pro gasket is good, right?

What do you think? If the engine cleaner doesn't work, should I go through with this? And should I replace everything while I've got it open?

Edit: Forgot to mention that the noises don't start until the engine warms up a little. Nothing on startup.

Last edited:
You have to pull the head to replace lifters in the 4.0.

Remove the belt, start it up and see if the noises are still there.

Unlikely you need new lifters at 59K unless the engine has been abused. Have nearly 300K on my 92 and 220K on my 06 and both have the original lifters.

Reactions: ChristopherJ

Unlikely you need new lifters at 59K unless the engine has been abused. Have nearly 300K on my 92 and 220K on my 06 and both have the original lifters.
I've seen videos on YT of people removing the lifters with a lifter puller without removing the head. Are you saying doing it without removing the head is impossible, or just inadvisable?

I see, I was watching videos of the 2.5. In the videos I've seen of people lifting the head, they appear to use a jack of some sort with chains attached to the head to pull it off. Can it be done by hand by a single person?

I see, I was watching videos of the 2.5. In the videos I've seen of people lifting the head, they appear to use a jack of some sort with chains attached to the head to pull it off. Can it be done by hand by a single person?
To lift a head up and out without any collateral damage by hand is a 2 man job even on the 2.5 which I have done several times. If a shop hoist is available then your good, those 4.0 heads are heavy.

To lift a head up and out without any collateral damage by hand is a 2 man job even on the 2.5 which I have done several times. If a shop hoist is available then your good, those 4.0 heads are heavy.
Ok, I guess I'll have to re-think this. I'm glad I didn't just order the parts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge guys.

I wouldn't touch them--certainly not at 59k. These engines make noise, simple as that. Plus, if you replace the lifters, you generally should replace the camshaft too as they wear together. More unnecessary surgery in most cases.

As you have discovered, it is impossible to remove the lifters on a 4.0 without pulling the head. I have pulled and reinstalled the head by myself several times, but it's heavy, awkward, and much better with another person helping. Only way I managed was by straddling the engine with my feet on the fenders (and I'm a stud 😃).

I wouldn't plan on replacing lifters just because of noise. Too involved. I'd troubleshoot other potential items first. Got a video of the noise? Unless you have metal in the oil, just turn up the radio.

As you have discovered, it is impossible to remove the lifters on a 4.0 without pulling the head. I have pulled and reinstalled the head by myself several times, but it's heavy, awkward, and much better with another person helping. Only way I managed was by straddling the engine with my feet on the fenders (and I'm a stud 😃).

I wouldn't plan on replacing lifters just because of noise. Too involved. I'd troubleshoot other potential items first. Got a video of the noise? Unless you have metal in the oil, just turn up the radio.
I'll get a video at lunch. I tried to take a video before, but the sound doesn't come through on the phone very well. Got a hint of what some other potential items would be?

Have you removed the belt to verify it's not one of the belt driven accessories yet?
No. So just take the belt completely off and turn it on for a minute? Nothing will explode?

Edit: I see you already answered that question in your previous post. I'll try that and get back with you. Thanks.

Here's a video of the sound. I didn't have a chance to pull the belt yet, I'll do that later and make a video. But, does the swishing tick sound normal? And the knocking sound under the tub?

Here's a video of the sound. I didn't have a chance to pull the belt yet, I'll do that later and make a video. But, does the swishing tick sound normal? And the knocking sound under the tub?

Mine sounds pretty similar to that swishing noise you're describing. It also rattles and makes some noise when I shut it off, I just chock it up to Jeep noises because I can't find any issues

Mine sounds pretty similar to that swishing noise you're describing. It also rattles and makes some noise when I shut it off, I just chock it up to Jeep noises because I can't find any issues
I'm very relieved to hear that. I'll put it to rest and stop worrying until something new comes along. Thanks!

I'm very relieved to hear that. I'll put it to rest and stop worrying until something new comes along. Thanks!
I'm far from being the expert on this forum, but it's made noise ever since I got it. It starts every time, runs and shifts great, I just fix issues as they come along. It's hard to hurt these motors as long as you keep oil in them.