Lifting LJ: Looking for thoughts on my setup

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it! I see guys push either the 5000x or the 9000 series of shocks, what about the 7000 series?

So I’m finding contemplating info online for the OME springs is the part number 2933 or 2934? Or is it 2932..

Rear is 2949 which is the HD type..

The 7000 had a moment about a year ago, but I think they ended up being a little rough on a TJ. The 9000 may well be a nice shock, but they are long and result in less travel than a 5000x.

The options are sadly limited with stock mounts.

Reactions: freebo86
The 7000 had a moment about a year ago, but I think they ended up being a little rough on a TJ. The 9000 may well be a nice shock, but they are long and result in less travel than a 5000x.

Well I think the 5000X will be the ones. So just got a message from buddy for the Duratracs basically he dropped price by $100 wants them gone.. basically the set of 4 for ~$370 on the 5x5.5 ford rims..

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it! I see guys push either the 5000x or the 9000 series of shocks, what about the 7000 series?

So I’m finding contemplating info online for the OME springs is the part number 2933 or 2934? Or is it 2932..

Rear is 2949 which is the HD type..
The 934's are the ZJ V8 spring. These work well if you want your Jeep to sit level. I used the 934's in the front and the 949's in the rear and have been happy. It sits nice and level. I don't particularly like the look of the factory rake.

The 934's are the ZJ V8 spring. These work well if you want your Jeep to sit level. I used the 934's in the front and the 949's in the rear and have been happy. It sits nice and level. I don't particularly like the look of the factory rake.

Neither do I. I certainly want it level, I guess maybe thats why with the other part # guy's use the 10mm spacer to level it out..

Very new to attempting to learn how suspensions work so forgive the newb question. The above post states the 9000 has less travel than the 5000, because they are longer. On the shock specification sheets I have studied the travel listed is equal to the extended length minus the compressed length of the shock. So wouldn't any shock, no matter the manufacturer or part number, that was 10" long extended, 5 inches long compressed, deliver 5" of travel? In this example I'm just talking about a standard shock like the 5000 and not any other technology that if it exists I am blissfully unaware of.

Someday I hope to understand my current suspension enough to reach out to the people on this forum to improve it, but at this time I'm still trying to learn the fundamentals.

These are a couple examples with similar compressed lengths.

Rancho RS55239 (Front)
Compressed 14.43
Travel 9.41
Extended 23.84

Rancho RS999239 (Front)
Compressed 14.64
Travel 8.45
Extended 23.09

Rancho RS55241 (Rear)
Compressed 13.69
Travel 8.00
Extended 21.69

Rancho RS999241 (Rear)
Compressed 13.75
Travel 7.25
Extended 21.00

Reactions: reddvltj
That is a pretty significant difference, and I believe I understand why it exists on these particular examples. The 9000XL has an adjustment knob assembly, that I touch even less often than the ones on my golf clubs, that adds about .75" to the length of the shock body. As I look at it now, that adjustment knob seems to be reducing the capability of my setup.

That Rancho 5000 does seem to offer significantly more travel as a ratio of compressed length than other examples. For instance when I try to find something comparable in the Fox catalog I cannot.

That is a pretty significant difference, and I believe I understand why it exists on these particular examples. The 9000XL has an adjustment knob assembly, that I touch even less often than the ones on my golf clubs, that adds about .75" to the length of the shock body. As I look at it now, that adjustment knob seems to be reducing the capability of my setup.

That Rancho 5000 does seem to offer significantly more travel as a ratio of compressed length than other examples. For instance when I try to find something comparable in the Fox catalog I cannot.

The adjustment knob is the significant reason for the different lengths. You would need to decide what is more important, the travel or the adjustment. The best answer isn't always clear.

Regarding the Foxes, those are getting into a whole different level of shock where actual tuning becomes an option. To get that and also get access to the greater benefits of a tuned shock, moving the shock mounts to add additional travel becomes part of the larger considerations.

Reactions: LowRange

Using that spring setup how is your LJ loaded? Carry a lot of gear?

As I said on my OP I drive in the summer time, my top is off and I roll around with a tonneau cover, rear seat folded. I do use the hard top but it’s for a limited time in late summer and spring. I’ve been reading some reviews and now I’m worried will that spring combo be too stiff?

I'm currently running with a soft top and no rear seat. The only extra weight is the tire carrier. The hardtop only weighs 199lbs. I can't tell the difference with it on vs off. I also have half doors on it right now. If it sits higher with the hardtop and seat installed it is negligible. I have my shocks set to 1 on the rear and 2 on the front right now and it rides very smooth for a lifted Jeep. It's not like stock but still very good.

Thanks for the feedback. So this happened earlier today.. got them for $350. The rims of course don’t fit but I plan on pawning those off. Tread measures consistently 14/32s. Not in those pictures but they clean up well too. Now I gotta get on that lift kit.

28FD1EC1-2BDD-4661-A4E0-CE20256C9688.jpeg

83DAA67C-6E95-41E4-AD1E-36DB94799399.jpeg

ECFACB9C-FFA6-42FD-8E23-CE6308EFD00E.jpeg

489AF749-C6EC-472D-9944-495C2F79EBB4.jpeg

Reactions: 06lj
Well just pulled the trigger and ordered the lift. Since I am OCD when it comes to the Jeep, the shocks will be painted black before they go on the vehicle.

ARB2949
ARB2934
RS55239
RS55241

Curious to see how prompt 4WheelParts gets this to me as I've never used them. They had a 10% off on everything for the Labour Day weekend sale. Came to just over $600 for the Coils and Springs.

Reactions: rasband
Just to step back a sec. I got an adjustable front trackbar from Rough Country. Part #7572. I went for this because I didnt want to drill out my frame side mount. It uses replaceable bushing and standard HD tie rod end. It is hell for stout and easy to adjust. Less expensive too.

Just to step back a sec. I got an adjustable front trackbar from Rough Country. Part #7572. I went for this because I didnt want to drill out my frame side mount. It uses replaceable bushing and standard HD tie rod end. It is hell for stout and easy to adjust. Less expensive too.
I'm curious if this actually works with 2.5" lifts without interference? The only two I was able to confirm were the JKS and Metalcloak. If if works it might be a good budget option for others.

I'm curious if this actually works with 2.5" lifts without interference? The only two I was able to confirm were the JKS and Metalcloak. If if works it might be a good budget option for others.

How much bump stop extension is there? Are the control arms adjustable?

How much bump stop extension is there? Are the control arms adjustable?
I have the Metalcloak bar with 2" of bump stop extension. This was needed for my 2.5" of lift and a 1.25" BL to run 33s. I cycled the suspension and had no track bar interference.

So the ARB2934 coils are on backorder and like 3 weeks away.. If I were to switch to the ARB2933 I could have the stuff within 5 days.. Lol

How much of a difference is it really between these two sets? The ARB site lists the 2934 at 41-90kg while the 2933 are 41-80kg

So the ARB2934 coils are on backorder and like 3 weeks away.. If I were to switch to the ARB2933 I could have the stuff within 5 days.. Lol

How much of a difference is it really between these two sets? The ARB site lists the 2934 at 41-90kg while the 2933 are 41-80kg

Look at the 931. It's in between the 933 and 934

Have you considered buying from another vendor? 4wheelparts.com, Quadratec, and Amazon all show this springs are in stock.