Little Wildman's TJ Build AKA: Spoiled Daughters Jeep

Did you ever pick it up? I hope you can get her Jeep back on the road soon

No I didn't. She decided that she would sell the Jeep for now and then once she's done with college and has a job then get another TJ.

Reactions: TWiG01
Insurance prices suck for 17 year olds over here too. We just put their cars under our name. There’s no way I’d pay those insurance premiums. I’m not that rich and stupid.
Used to be the same way here, but the Insurers didn't like missing out on the premiums. Now the person who does the most miles in the vehicle must be the insured party and anyone who is an additional driver must do less than 50% of the vehicle's annual mileage. You used to be able to go ahead and do it anyway, but risk that as soon as there was an accident the insurer would look in to it and try to deny cover. Even that is pretty tough now as almost any policy with a young driver on it requires a 'black box' to be installed in the car, this is able to recognise who is in the car as it links to your mobile phone. So you would have to let your son or daughter drive around with your phone most of the time to get away with it.

Of course, one result is that we now have an epidemic of young uninsured drivers on the road who can't afford the premium but are desperate to drive anyway. So when you get hit by one of them you have to claim through your own policy and the premium shoots up the next year. Suffice to say my pension pot has a fair few insurers' shares in it, might as well get some benefit from the 'heads they win' tails we lose' approach.

But apologies, I am dragging this thread way off topic.

Reactions: Blondie70 and JMT
Insurance prices suck for 17 year olds over here too. We just put their cars under our name. There’s no way I’d pay those insurance premiums. I’m not that rich and stupid.

Try seeing what happens when there are 2 accidents on their driving record. It's FREAKING EXPENSIVE.

• Sad
Reactions: JMT
Used to be the same way here, but the Insurers didn't like missing out on the premiums. Now the person who does the most miles in the vehicle must be the insured party and anyone who is an additional driver must do less than 50% of the vehicle's annual mileage. You used to be able to go ahead and do it anyway, but risk that as soon as there was an accident the insurer would look in to it and try to deny cover. Even that is pretty tough now as almost any policy with a young driver on it requires a 'black box' to be installed in the car, this is able to recognise who is in the car as it links to your mobile phone. So you would have to let your son or daughter drive around with your phone most of the time to get away with it.

Of course, one result is that we now have an epidemic of young uninsured drivers on the road who can't afford the premium but are desperate to drive anyway. So when you get hit by one of them you have to claim through your own policy and the premium shoots up the next year. Suffice to say my pension pot has a fair few insurers' shares in it, might as well get some benefit from the 'heads they win' tails we lose' approach.

But apologies, I am dragging this thread way off topic.
You guys have it tough. As I understand it, engine size is directly correlated to the cost of the insurance. This is why learners are best insured with just a 1L engine. Is that correct? It works much differently in the states. A 30+ old car with a V8 will be way cheaper than a new car regardless of engine. Driving records and age are the biggest factors over here.

You guys have it tough. As I understand it, engine size is directly correlated to the cost of the insurance. This is why learners are best insured with just a 1L engine. Is that correct? It works much differently in the states. A 30+ old car with a V8 will be way cheaper than a new car regardless of engine. Driving records and age are the biggest factors over here.
My daughters insurance is $80 a month. She is 18.

my sons insurance is $220 a month. He is 19.

a lot of it accounts for the type of car they drive. And the chromosomes.

they are insured on all 5 of the vehicles.

My daughters insurance is $80 a month. She is 18.

my sons insurance is $220 a month. He is 19.

a lot of it accounts for the type of car they drive. And the chromosomes.

they are insured on all 5 of the vehicles.
I have friends in the UK that were shocked when I told them that, my then 18yo son, drove an Audi with a 2.0L turbo in it. They couldn't figure out how that was possible. Of course, it wasn't new (10 years old at the time) so it wasn't that expensive. Ever wonder why cars are so small there? Besides "petrol" being expensive, the cost to drive it is pretty hefty.

I have friends in the UK that were shocked when I told them that, my then 18yo son, drove an Audi with a 2.0L turbo in it. They couldn't figure out how that was possible. Of course, it wasn't new (10 years old at the time) so it wasn't that expensive. Ever wonder why cars are so small there? Besides "petrol" being expensive, the cost to drive it is pretty hefty.
Oh ya.
I had an opel omega station wagon when I lived in Germany. The vin number said 1.8l. It was insured with a 1.8L

the car had a turbo 2.8l in it. Crazy fast had no issue running the autobahn at 280kph.

my brother ran with some local kids that did engine swaps like that all the time. In tiny little cars like what we would call a Ford Fiesta.

Reactions: Blondie70
Oh ya.
I had an opel omega station wagon when I lived in Germany. The vin number said 1.8l. It was insured with a 1.8L

the car had a turbo 2.8l in it. Crazy fast had no issue running the autobahn at 280kph.

my brother ran with some local kids that did engine swaps like that all the time. In tiny little cars like what we would call a Ford Fiesta.
That's nuts especially in a station wagon although I did do 210kph in a BMW turbo diesel SUV on the autobahn. Loaded up with work equipment and 4 guys pushing the car as fast as it would go. Such a cool experience.

Damn, sorry to hear about that frame. It definitely looks toast.

That Subaru is a great PNW vehicle for sure though, I've owned many.

Reactions: Wildman
My son blew up the motor in his forester. Also another great vehicle.
But they don’t like running on 1/3 of a quart of oil.

how that motor didn’t seize is beyond me. His mistake. His pocketbook.
Tough love parenting - love it.
Not sure that it would work with a daughter though - Daaaddeee can I? Of course dahling :ROFLMAO:

I think it is pretty complex, but engine power and the cost of repairing the vehicle being insured are big elements. Age of the vehicle isn't. That only comes in once a car is more than 30 years old and can be insured on a classic, limited mileage policy.

I
Its the disparity that is the issue. My daughter in a 1.0l tiny hatchback is about $2300 a year, for me to insure a 5.0l supercharged F-Type Jaguar with 550bhp is less about $400 a year. One of the few benefits of being old I guess!

Rick, I know lake Isabella is a small community, but do you remember which part? I spent many great days at my grandfathers place from 1970 to 1999 when he passed and my parents sold the place. Was on chain and Curran. Close to bodfish.

Rick, I know lake Isabella is a small community, but do you remember which part? I spent many great days at my grandfathers place from 1970 to 1999 when he passed and my parents sold the place. Was on chain and Curran. Close to bodfish.

My parents were over on the north side of the lake in Wofford Heights.

Reactions: WSS
I'll Bring this back from the past....

My daughter is buying her first vehicle and it's a TJ Of Course....

Dad's spoiled her and bought her all her other cars so this is a milestone.

It's a 2000 Sahara 5 speed manual with a Dana 44 rear axle.

20230721_102510.jpg

It hasn't had the easiest of lives so far so it'll take a little TLC.....

20230721_104240.jpg

We did a 20 hour round trip drive to ID to pick it up from @reddvltj . Since he'd joined the Rubicon family he didn't need the Sahara anymore.

Stopped at the summit on Hwy 93 to check all the straps and let the pop old truck cool off a little.

20230721_132140.jpg

Already picked up some used Currie 4" springs and Metal Cloak control arms. It needs a new lower control arm bracket which will be getting replaced with Iron Rock brackets since they seem to be some of the better offered on the market.

I'll Bring this back from the past....

My daughter is buying her first vehicle and it's a TJ Of Course....

Dad's spoiled her and bought her all her other cars so this is a milestone.

It's a 2000 Sahara 5 speed manual with a Dana 44 rear axle.

View attachment 443397

It hasn't had the easiest of lives so far so it'll take a little TLC.....

View attachment 443398

We did a 20 hour round trip drive to ID to pick it up from @reddvltj . Since he'd joined the Rubicon family he didn't need the Sahara anymore.

Stopped at the summit on Hwy 93 to check all the straps and let the pop old truck cool off a little.

View attachment 443399

Already picked up some used Currie 4" springs and Metal Cloak control arms. It needs a new lower control arm bracket which will be getting replaced with Iron Rock brackets since they seem to be some of the better offered on the market.

Sounds like a great start with that 5 speed and Dana 44.

Reactions: reddvltj
Sounds like a great start with that 5 speed and Dana 44.

Agreed. Her last TJ had a Dana 35 with the dreaded 3.07 gears.

She'll get a lot of hand-me-down parts off my TJ. All the parts I have left that I haven't already given away to other members will go on hers.
And of course I'll be keeping my eyes out for lightly used stuff. To finish off the 4" lift I need to find front & rear trackbars.
But I've got time to find stuff. She doesn't need the left or 33" tires YET. Once my Jeep is done we can go hit some trails together and I can start teaching here what I might know.
I'll start watching for a $200-250 winch that needs to be rebuilt.

The plan right now is once my TJ is out of the garage hers will come in.
I'll pull the front axle and while I'm repairing the lower brackets she'll be replacing all the control arms (with the help of her boyfriend) So that way by the time I'm done with the front axle hopefully it'll be ready to be bolted back in place with new control arms. Then well replace the O2 sensors and do a tune up on it. At that point it'll be drivable.
Then next year we'll start talking about tires & lift.

At some point it's going to get a repainted. It's been in a wreck before and has some body damage. Most of it can be covered by armor so that's all good.
I'm of course watching for some reasonably priced half doors. Or she might end up with some trail door.

She's only driven off-road twice so she is going to need practice.