LJ Safari Cab Trailer

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This past weekend I made an emergency trip from upstate NY to my sister's in Cape Coral (ground zero for Hurricane Ian) to help her recover from the hurricane. I towed my Safari Cab trailer down full of emergency supplies - water, gasoline, huge tarps, drinking water, washing water etc.

HurricaneIan.jpg

Along the way from upstate NY to South Florida and back at probably half the gas or food stops I made someone came up to me to ask about the trailer and I probably got a half dozen thumbs up from people passing my on the highway so I thought if that many people liked the trailer on that trip maybe people here would be interested in it.

The camper top was part of the original design for my LJ Safari Cab hardtop - I did this sketch in 2010 when I was working on the Safari Cab design and I designed the molds for the fiberglass parts such that variations of the parts could be made for either the Jeep hardtop or the camper top version.

Camper2.jpg

After finishing the hardtop for the LJ, in order to make the camper I needed a Jeep-tub trailer to put the camper top on, so I used the back half of the LJ tub I cut off when making my pickup and the back half of a YJ tub I got from a friend, and put them together to make a tub the correct length to work with the LJ Safari Cab parts. These photos show the tub before painting; the red parts used to be part of the Jeep that's now the pickup and the black parts are from a YJ.

Assembly22.jpg

Assembly20.jpg

Because each of the tubs had wheel arches and it would be a ton of finicky sheet metal welding to close them up, I made new sides from 16-gauge sheet metal. The top edges of the tubs were saved and welded to the top of the new sides.

Once the trailer was done, the LJ Safari Cab molds were used to make a set of parts for the camper top. Gr8Tops made some of the parts when they were molding their first preproduction LJ Safari Cab in their production molds and I made some of the parts in my garage using my original molds. This was in 2011, and Gr8Tops showed the prototype camper at the All Breeds Jeep Show in York, PA as a possible future product.

York4a.jpg

CamperTwins2.jpg

In the back the camper has a barn door just like the Safari Cab on the Jeep, and in the front the same molds were used to make a lift-up hatch. And just like the Safari Cab on the LJ, am XJ Cherokee rack on top.

CamperShow4.jpg

Gr8Tops decided not to turn the camper into a product so I disassembled the camper top and stored it in the back yard - I had other plans for the Jeep-tub trailer. The parts sat in the yard for about 10 years and this year I decided to put them back in service.

I hadn't installed windows/side hatches in the parts back then, so I did that and applied a textured acrylic finish to everything.

SafariCamperFront1.jpg

SafariCamperFrontHatch.jpg

FrontHatchStruts1.jpg

SafariCamperBarnDoor2.jpg

On the tailgate I installed a MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement so I could carry whatever I wanted back there and in these photos there's a jerry can tray and a propane tank tray installed:

SafariCamperRear1.jpg

SafariCamperBarnDoor.jpg

I thought it would be fun to paint the inside of the roof sky blue:

SafariCamperInterior2.jpg

In the photo above a MORryde Trail Kitchen is bolted to the floor; it slides out the front:

SafariCamperTrailKitchen.jpg

The interior design is to have a sleeping platform above the kitchen; storage would be under the platform as well.

BedSleeping.jpg

The platform would be sectional so when not being used for sleeping part of it can be moved to provide sitting/dressing space.

BedSitting.jpg

A wireframe of the LJ Safari Cab superimposed on a photo of the camper:

LJSafariCabOverlay.jpg

Another part of the design I haven't implemented yet is a pop-top roof. It could be hinged either in the front or on the side; I prefer the side:

SafariOverlandCamper22j.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll ever finish off the camper interior. I end up using the trailer so often for hauling cargo around (it's done almost 10,000 miles so far this year hauling cargo) and the camper interior would have to be removed regularly for that use so maybe it'll just be a cargo trailer forever.

If anyone is interested in building a Jeep-tub trailer of their own or even a camper I'll be happy to share more about this project and other ways to turn a Jeep-tub trailer into a camper.

As usual I am just astounded at your ability to conceive design and execute your ideas.

You are a gifted person.

You share things with humility and openness.

Even those of us that don’t have the ability, equipment or resources love to look at what you do and appreciate you being on here.

You’re the kind of person that inspires me to try harder.

Andy

Looks awesome...ever think about a trailing arm suspension?

-Mac

No. As it is now, the trailer has more ground clearance than the LJ and the solid axle works just fine.

But there are two improvements I will make to the frame some day, they're features I added to the frame when I designed and built my fiberglass military replica trailer. That trailer has a rear receiver, which comes in handy sometimes, and I plan to add one to the camper trailer:

Overland2.jpg

The frame for the military trailer also has a receiver in the front so it can accept different couplers. The basic frame:

FrameDone22.jpg

With a ball coupler installed in the front receiver:

Done-114.jpg

When I did the military trailer I also designed a 3-axis coupler and that's the main reason for adding a coupler receiver to the camper trailer. My 3-axis design:

3AxisCloseUp.jpg

I call the coupler the "TSC" 3-Axis Coupler because all of the parts can be picked up at Tractor Supply for less than $50 (at least at the time I designed and built it).

As usual I am just astounded at your ability to conceive design and execute your ideas.

You are a gifted person.

You share things with humility and openness.

Even those of us that don’t have the ability, equipment or resources love to look at what you do and appreciate you being on here.

You’re the kind of person that inspires me to try harder.

Andy

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I'm always happy to share any tips or guidance I can to help people realize their own ideas. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than seeing someone build something after being inspired by something I've posted.

There are many more projects I could post about but I don't want to wear out my welcome here and I'm not sure where to post them. For example, I'm working on a few hardware ideas with MORryde. I'm doing some new storage ideas for a custom Jeep that will be debuting at SEMA in a few weeks. An apparel manufacturer asked me to help design a line of Jeep-themed clothing. I'm helping Overland Outfitters bring a few new "soft goods" ideas into production, most of which with TJs. I don't know if any of these projects would be of interest to people on this forum or if I should take up valuable forum space posting about them.

A quick peek at one of the prototypes from my project for the apparel company, not sure if projects like these even belong on this forum...

JeepShirtX.jpg

There is an overland expo at Oak Ridge Estates this weekend in Arrington, VA. Will you be there with the trailer?

Back in 1990, I made my trailer with a 2" receiver on the tongue. I use a conventional ball for light loads.
And a pintle/ring for heavy loads on trail maintenance days.
Your "TSC" 3 Axis hitch makes me want to visit my local TS store to make my own.

Reactions: SubLime
awesome work sir. always enjoy seeing your ideas and how you’ve made them come to life.

There is an overland expo at Oak Ridge Estates this weekend in Arrington, VA. Will you be there with the trailer?

I towed the trailer all the way out to Overland West earlier this year (Upstate NY to Flagstaff and back again) - Overland Outfitters used my JKU in their booth and used the trailer to bring merchandise to the show. They aren't doing Overland East this year so I don't have to go for them; I probably won't attend, I could change my mind at the last minute but if I do go I wouldn't be bringing the trailer. This is their setup at Overland West, my JKU is under the roof top tent and the trailer is behind their canopy:

OOandMORryde.jpg

BTW MORryde is the red canopy to the right of OO's space - MORryde and OO often get adjoining spaces because they're friends and also there's a lot of MORryde gear installed on my JKU and my LJ so they also use my Jeep to show off things like their Trail Kitchen and Tailgate Reinforcement if it's there for OO.

Back in 1990, I made my trailer with a 2" receiver on the tongue. I use a conventional ball for light loads.
And a pintle/ring for heavy loads on trail maintenance days.
Your "TSC" 3 Axis hitch makes me want to visit my local TS store to make my own.

I posted plans, a TSC parts list and instructions back when I did the design and I hear a number of them have been made. But it's not something you want to do unless you're very confident in your welding skills! :). Details in this thread on the Compact Camping (Dinoot trailers) forum: https://tventuring.com/under-usd50-diy-3-axis-coupler-t65.html

awesome work sir. always enjoy seeing your ideas and how you’ve made them come to life.
Thank you very much. That's one of the main reasons I build things - to see them come to life :). Sometimes I build things I don't need or even plan to use just to see my ideas get realized. I call those projects "art projects" - meaning a project I do just because I want to see it realized. Here's one of my art projects - a Jeepster Commando front clip for a TJ/LJ in fiberglass. After making the molds and the parts (including a replica Hurst Commando hood scoop), I posed them on my LJ for these photos and that was the end of the project. This photo has the CJ grille on the LJ with fiberglass "ears" to widen the grille to fit the wider Commando hood, but a factory Commando hood could be used on a TJ/LJ with this front clip. I didn't do anything more with the parts or the molds, I removed them after taking this photo, but I was very glad to see them come to life :).

LJ8HurstCommando2_zps7f2d2c5b.jpg

I towed the trailer all the way out to Overland West earlier this year (Upstate NY to Flagstaff and back again) - Overland Outfitters used my JKU in their booth and used the trailer to bring merchandise to the show. They aren't doing Overland East this year so I don't have to go for them; I probably won't attend, I could change my mind at the last minute but if I do go I wouldn't be bringing the trailer. This is their setup at Overland West, my JKU is under the roof top tent and the trailer is behind their canopy:

View attachment 365012

BTW MORryde is the red canopy to the right of OO's space - MORryde and OO often get adjoining spaces because they're friends and also there's a lot of MORryde gear installed on my JKU and my LJ so they also use my Jeep to show off things like their Trail Kitchen and Tailgate Reinforcement if it's there for OO.

I posted plans, a TSC parts list and instructions back when I did the design and I hear a number of them have been made. But it's not something you want to do unless you're very confident in your welding skills! :). Details in this thread on the Compact Camping (Dinoot trailers) forum: https://tventuring.com/under-usd50-diy-3-axis-coupler-t65.html

Thank you very much. That's one of the main reasons I build things - to see them come to life :). Sometimes I build things I don't need or even plan to use just to see my ideas get realized. I call those projects "art projects" - meaning a project I do just because I want to see it realized. Here's one of my art projects - a Jeepster Commando front clip for a TJ/LJ in fiberglass. After making the molds and the parts (including a replica Hurst Commando hood scoop), I posed them on my LJ for these photos and that was the end of the project. This photo has the CJ grille on the LJ with fiberglass "ears" to widen the grille to fit the wider Commando hood, but a factory Commando hood could be used on a TJ/LJ with this front clip. I didn't do anything more with the parts or the molds, I removed them after taking this photo, but I was very glad to see them come to life :).

View attachment 365013

again, awesome skills! wish i had that kind of talent.

Jeff - above all else, you are a good brother. I hope everything was OK with the family down in Florida.

No. As it is now, the trailer has more ground clearance than the LJ and the solid axle works just fine.

But there are two improvements I will make to the frame some day, they're features I added to the frame when I designed and built my fiberglass military replica trailer. That trailer has a rear receiver, which comes in handy sometimes, and I plan to add one to the camper trailer:

View attachment 364863

The frame for the military trailer also has a receiver in the front so it can accept different couplers. The basic frame:

View attachment 364864

With a ball coupler installed in the front receiver:

View attachment 364865

When I did the military trailer I also designed a 3-axis coupler and that's the main reason for adding a coupler receiver to the camper trailer. My 3-axis design:

View attachment 364866

I call the coupler the "TSC" 3-Axis Coupler because all of the parts can be picked up at Tractor Supply for less than $50 (at least at the time I designed and built it).

I really like your offroad coupler design. And for $50 rather than the $250+ of retail options, I wish I'd seen this before I ordered my lock'n roll coupler for my Dinoot M416.

The front receiver functionality is interesting, but can you explain in what situation you would prefer a standard ball coupler over the 3-axis design you shared? Was it simply a design parameter to work around the tractor supply components you used, or do you switch between 3-axis and ball/coupler for different situations?

As always, I love seeing your content here and on Expedition Portal.

Jeff - above all else, you are a good brother. I hope everything was OK with the family down in Florida.

She was very lucky. Some houses in her neighborhood had several feet of water inside, but somehow her house only had a few inches. We pulled out the carpets from the flooded rooms and we we used five large (20x30 and 20x16) tarps that I brought down in the trailer to deal with roof damage...

RoofTarps.jpg

I loaded the trailer full of emergency supplies before leaving home and we needed most of what I brought. We needed the extra gas; I brought 25 gallons in jerry cans and Rotopax because without power most gas stations can't pump; 10 gallons went into the JKU in Cape Coral because towing the trailer the Jeep doesn't have enough range to make it from Tampa to Cape Coral and back (we've been staying at my niece's house in Tampa); 5 gallons when into my sister's rental minivan; 5 gallons we stored in her garage and 5 gallons went to her neighbor to run his generator. Water service was restored late Sunday so we didn't need the washing water I brought but tap water is under a boil mandate and since we can't boil it on her electric stove (electricity restoration TBA), the drinking water I brought was needed, and my sister was a tyrant in making us drink lots in the hot sun when we were working on the roof.

Also needed my portable compressor, she had a rental minivan she used when she evacuated to the east coast and it had a low tire. We stopped at a station in the Tampa area but their compressor wasn't working so rather than search around for another station with a working compressor I pulled out my OO compressor bag and solved the problem.

HurricaneIan(1).jpg

WE used the fridge in the JKU for meals while we were working; very glad to have cold milk to go with the PB&J sandwiches we were making for meals and glad to have the solar panel on top so the fridge could run indefinitely in the hot sun. We did have one meal provided by World Central Kitchen, a charity organization that provides hot meals to people in disaster areas. The meal was excellent and very much appreciated after working on the roof in the hot sun!!

WorldCentralKitchen.jpg

She's still got a lot of damage to deal with, but once the heavy work was done she didn't need me anymore so I drove back home.

I really like your offroad coupler design. And for $50 rather than the $250+ of retail options, I wish I'd seen this before I ordered my lock'n roll coupler for my Dinoot M416.

The front receiver functionality is interesting, but can you explain in what situation you would prefer a standard ball coupler over the 3-axis design you shared? Was it simply a design parameter to work around the tractor supply components you used, or do you switch between 3-axis and ball/coupler for different situations?

As always, I love seeing your content here and on Expedition Portal.

The main design parameter (other than it being a fully functional 3-axis coupler) was that I wanted the design to consist of easily obtainable/modifiable components for DIY construction so I spent a lot of time at the TSC tractor linkage parts section figuring out what parts could be used. The result I think is a design that functions well and can be built with fairly simple tools and a good welder. It's easier to build with some good metalworking tools like a bandsaw, but all of the parts can be modified/made with an angle grinder, a hacksaw and a drill. About using it, there's really no reason that the TSC coupler is better or worse than a ball coupler on the road, although in rough road situations it's usually quieter than a ball coupler, but sometimes I worry about using a home-made coupler on the road in the litigious world we live in.

I rarely use my military replica trailer (my home-made prototype for your Dinoot M416), and since that's the only trailer I've got that has a front receiver I don't get to use the TSC coupler much. When I add a front receiver to the camper trailer I'll use the TSC coupler a lot more.

BTW this is what my military trailer looks like these days, the "covered wagon" top I made for it really improves its use as a cargo hauler...

TrailerWorking1.jpg