TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

Lock tailgate from inside?


Apparition

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2020
Messages
3,551
Location
Twin Cities, MN
I added electric locks so I can lock/unlock mine from the key fob. But, I know you hate unnecessary tech.
 

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
2,340
Location
South Carolina
I can't remember who it was, but some one did a modification where the tied paracord or something to the linkage so that they could just reach over the tailgate and pull the cord and unlock it. If that post can be found, maybe you could figure out a way to modify the mod to do the opposite.
 

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
2,340
Location
South Carolina
I can't remember who it was, but some one did a modification where the tied paracord or something to the linkage so that they could just reach over the tailgate and pull the cord and unlock it. If that post can be found, maybe you could figure out a way to modify the mod to do the opposite.

I was wrong. He did it to lock the tailgate before shutting it so he didn't have to use the key. Would this work for you?
 
  • Love
Reactions: Zorba
OP
Zorba

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2020
Messages
933
Location
Merritt Island, Fl
Instead of a string, I used I piece of hanger. I can lock or unlock it that way.
Thanx both to you and the OP of the referenced thread. This is what I ended up doing:

fd.jpg


However, a certain brazen idiot on this forum - since blocked - couldn't seem to understand why I ask questions even about simple things. THIS IS WHY:

fe.jpg

Having zero idea, I ASS-U-MEd that the lock cover simply snaps on. Well, it does, on the bottom. You're supposed to unsnap the bottom FIRST, then lift up so the little top plastic flange that is missing in the above picture doesn't get removed with surgical precision like mine did...

ff.jpg

Replacement fabricated and pop-riveted on. Beats paying Dave's some outrageous amount of money for a new cover, and is tons stronger besides!
100.jpg

Cover back on, loop bent in end of pushrod. It "should be" possible to do something similar but run the pushrod out the top with a regular car lock knob on it.

101.jpg

Topside view of rivets - learn from my mistake!
 

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2018
Messages
1,891
Location
Utah
Nice way to make it up as you go! My wife gives me shit because my scrounge drawer in my toolbox has slowly overflown into another drawer, but I have a thing about never tossing any random nut, screw, bracket, metal thingy, or spring. It's the kind of thing where I know there's a 90% chance I'll never need it, but if that 10% need should arise the benefit is totally worth it.
 
OP
Zorba

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2020
Messages
933
Location
Merritt Island, Fl
I had to purge my junk hardware when I moved from California, I still don't have much stuff and have to go to the hardware store all the time. Fortunately, its right around the corner, I usually walk.
 
  • Like
Reactions: qslim

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2018
Messages
1,891
Location
Utah
I had to purge my junk hardware when I moved from California, I still don't have much stuff and have to go to the hardware store all the time. Fortunately, its right around the corner, I usually walk.
Fortunately for me whenever I move it's on the company's dime, if they think I'm worth that much my junk much come along! Please don't put me in a position to choose...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zorba

GaTechTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
118
Location
Georgia
Thanx both to you and the OP of the referenced thread. This is what I ended up doing:

View attachment 173202

However, a certain brazen idiot on this forum - since blocked - couldn't seem to understand why I ask questions even about simple things. THIS IS WHY:

View attachment 173203
Having zero idea, I ASS-U-MEd that the lock cover simply snaps on. Well, it does, on the bottom. You're supposed to unsnap the bottom FIRST, then lift up so the little top plastic flange that is missing in the above picture doesn't get removed with surgical precision like mine did...

View attachment 173204
Replacement fabricated and pop-riveted on. Beats paying Dave's some outrageous amount of money for a new cover, and is tons stronger besides!
View attachment 173205
Cover back on, loop bent in end of pushrod. It "should be" possible to do something similar but run the pushrod out the top with a regular car lock knob on it.

View attachment 173206
Topside view of rivets - learn from my mistake!
Strange.....Mine bolts on. Awesome idea though.
It's on my list to install.

20200630_174710.jpg20200630_174714.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zorba

Drippy

TJ Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 15, 2019
Messages
129
Location
VA
Thanks to this thread and some helpful insights. I was able to copy what OP did. Used a old coat hanger lol. Easy and free mod. Now I can lock/unlock from the inside if needed. Also my '04 has the plastic snap in cover.

20200703_102204.jpg


20200703_103528.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zorba

Brianj5600

TJ Addict
Joined
Jul 4, 2018
Messages
1,228
Location
Middle Tennessee
I understand being able to lock the tailgate w/o a key, but I don't understand the need to unlock from the inside. You can't open it from the inside. It seems like it takes more effort to get to the lock rod inside than putting the key in the outside. I put paracord on mine to lock it and considered using a rod instead, but didn't see the advantage. I am not knocking the rod, but I don't see it being an advantage.
 
OP
Zorba

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2020
Messages
933
Location
Merritt Island, Fl
Its not much of an advantage, it was just easier to do (for me). However, I can have my granddaughter unlock it from inside! I'm also wondering about adding a pull handle so you could actually open it from the inside - I personally HATE being in the back of 2 door vehicles where its QUITE difficult to get out in an emergency, and I don't wish that on anybody riding in the back of my Jeep either.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Brianj5600