Looking for 2004-2006 Wrangler LJ with manual transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaNu1142

I'm looking for a Jeep as a run-about vehicle and a weekend toy. I'm in Florida. I like the idea of rear legroom and some extra cargo space, and I like the 4.0L... so I'm seeking a LJ/Wrangler Unlimited. I'm pretty firm on a manual and I'd prefer the 5-spd in the 2004. I'm looking for something with little to no rust and I'm fine with modifications, especially a mild lift, wheels & tires, bumpers, etc. No carpet, no problem; Rhino-lined, even better. Color isn't important. A hard top is nice but not a requirement. I'd like to find one with D44s and 3.73 or lower gearing. Functional AC would be good. Rear discs, great. My ideal used Jeep will have a well-documented service history.

I'm eyeballing a couple on Autotrader, but none are local and I can't put my hands on them to check them out.

My ideal buy: a 2004 Rubicon LJ with a lift, 35s, 4.10 gears, with <100k miles for $12,000, delivered to my driveway by a skimpily-dressed Scarlett Johansson.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a Jeep as a run-about vehicle and a weekend toy. I'm in Florida. I like the idea of rear legroom and some extra cargo space, and I like the 4.0L... so I'm seeking a LJ/Wrangler Unlimited. I'm pretty firm on a manual and I'd prefer the 5-spd in the 2004. I'm looking for something with little to no rust and I'm fine with modifications, especially a mild lift, wheels & tires, bumpers, etc. No carpet, no problem; Rhino-lined, even better. Color isn't important. A hard top is nice but not a requirement. I'd like to find one with D44s and 3.73 or lower gearing. Functional AC would be good. Rear discs, great. My ideal used Jeep will have a well-documented service history.

I'm eyeballing a couple on Autotrader, but none are local and I can't put my hands on them to check them out.

My ideal buy: a 2004 Rubicon LJ with a lift, 35s, 4.10 gears, with <100k miles for $12,000, delivered to my driveway by a skimpily-dressed Scarlett Johansson.
I found a really cheap LJR the other day. Needs a bit of work.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/d/north-highlands-2006-jeep-wrangler/6896487296.html
12k for a clean rust free one would be the deal of the century. I bet you can get a non rubicon for that much if you look long enough though.

That one is across the country. And I'm without a garage for the time being, so assembly would pose a problem.
12k for a clean rust free one would be the deal of the century. I bet you can get a non rubicon for that much if you look long enough though.
I'd be fine with a non-Rubicon. I'm holding out for the Scarlett Johansson delivery, though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Alex01

It is more probable that Scarlett Johansson will show up at your door than than a 2004 LJ with 5 speed manual.

A 2004 LJ only had the auto, while IMHO, the 2005-06 LJ has the best TJ manual tranny. You should open up your options to the 2005. I've had my 2005 LJ with 6-speed since 2009 and 29k miles and it has been great. Lots of people who dont own this vehicle spread false information, so take thier comments with a grain of salt unless they owned one.

Reactions: burghermike
A 2004 LJ only had the auto...while IMHO, the 2005-06 LJ has the best TJ manual tranny.
If that's true, it's the best explanation for why I haven't been able to find one.
...while IMHO, the 2005-06 LJ has the best TJ manual tranny. You should open up your options to the 2005. I've had my 2005 LJ with 6-speed since 2009 and 29k miles and it has been great. Lots of people who dont own this vehicle spread false information, so take thier comments with a grain of salt unless they owned one.
My research indicates otherwise... but's just that. I've never owned one. The number of 100k+ mile 2005-2006 manual TJs that are advertised as having a "recently rebuilt transmission" is a little unnerving. All I know about the 6-spd vs 5-spd discussion is what I've read here and on wrangerforums.com... where the 5-spd is vastly preferred.

But I don't want to perpetuate that debate here. My search terms for an LJ usually include anything between 2004 - 2006, so I'm open to it. And if what you're saying is true, my only option for a manual LJ is to get the NSG370.

If that's true, it's the best explanation for why I haven't been able to find one.

My research indicates otherwise... but's just that. I've never owned one. The number of 100k+ mile 2005-2006 manual TJs that are advertised as having a "recently rebuilt transmission" is a little unnerving. All I know about the 6-spd vs 5-spd discussion is what I've read here and on wrangerforums.com... where the 5-spd is vastly preferred.

But I don't want to perpetuate that debate here. My search terms for an LJ usually include anything between 2004 - 2006, so I'm open to it. And if what you're saying is true, my only option for a manual LJ is to get the NSG370.

I agree as there are a few members that are like alpha dogs with tons of followers and if you deviate from their opinions then a hoard of members start to bash you, and that is not the reason why I am on this forum.

With that said, my wife and I love manuals l, and the unlimited serves our purposes well.

Now of you are looking to rock crawl tuem generally speaking you do not want a manual, but if you hit off camber trails and mud, and daily drive, then a manual is great. The LJs extra space is very helpful so depending on your usage a 2005-06 manual could be the vehicle for you.

Did you check these out?

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/riverview-2006-wrangler-rubicon/6893685951.html

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/cto/d/englewood-jeep-lj-wrangler/6879235449.html

Reactions: Alex01
The first is on my list. I wanted to pay less for a non-Ruby LJ. But it's close and I want to take a look at it.
The second, no! I didn't see it. That's right up my alley, and not too far away. See, though, they're reporting some 6-spd niggles. Not a show-stopper, necessarily. But my concerns over the 6-spd are going to force me to drive my max offer down some.
This one's posted above. Looks great and priced well. Body dings don't bug me. I'm more interested in a solid frame.

I agree as there are a few members that are like alpha dogs with tons of followers and if you deviate from their opinions then a hoard of members start to bash you, and that is not the reason why I am on this forum.

With that said, my wife and I love manuals l, and the unlimited serves our purposes well.

Now of you are looking to rock crawl tuem generally speaking you do not want a manual, but if you hit off camber trails and mud, and daily drive, then a manual is great.
Shockingly if you check out the list of jeeps going on the rubicon in september you'll discover most of the people signed up are running manuals.

Are automatics better for rocks? Yes, but plenty of the highest contributing members of this forum run manuals and get into some pretty serious stuff.

Manual = more fun 🤣

It is more probable that Scarlett Johansson will show up at your door than than a 2004 LJ with 5 speed manual.

A 2004 LJ only had the auto, while IMHO, the 2005-06 LJ has the best TJ manual tranny. You should open up your options to the 2005. I've had my 2005 LJ with 6-speed since 2009 and 29k miles and it has been great. Lots of people who dont own this vehicle spread false information, so take thier comments with a grain of salt unless they owned one.
I have a 2006 LJ manual 6-speed soft top and love it. If you find one go get. So much fun to drive

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/620222451723100/
Don't limit yourself to Florida. Transporting is 1k or less. Easy to arrange vehicle inspections and ask for a lot of photos. Others may even help you depending on where the vehicle is located. This one is 45 mins. from me and I would check it out for you if you were interested. I have no affiliation to seller but a lot of people have helped me so I would return the favor. Good Karma and all that sh*!.

I don't mind shopping the Southeast. I've shipped a vehicle or two. Bought a '82 Corvette sight unseen on eBay lots of years ago.

$12k is a great price. What's up with the paint? I'd love a full Rhino-lined exterior, but this looks partially done? Or two-tone?

I'm in a holding pattern... I want the Jeep to be a bit of a fun personal incentive for paying a couple of things off, and things keep coming up. Blehh.

I don't mind shopping the Southeast. I've shipped a vehicle or two. Bought a '82 Corvette sight unseen on eBay lots of years ago.

$12k is a great price. What's up with the paint? I'd love a full Rhino-lined exterior, but this looks partially done? Or two-tone?

I'm in a holding pattern... I want the Jeep to be a bit of a fun personal incentive for paying a couple of things off, and things keep coming up. Blehh.
Can you open the add? He talks about how it was a tow vehicle and the guy only wanted the front Rhino. etc...

Here you go. A copy of the add.

" I am selling my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. This thing has been my baby. It’s the very last year you can buy one of the best engines ever made. It’s got the 4.0. Only 115k miles. It’s got about a 2” body lift with almost brand new shocks. It’s sitting on METHOD off-road designed rims wrapped with 35” BFG KM2’s that are quite new. The idea behind the paint job was the guy before me was having it towed by an RV everywhere it went and rock were chipping the paint. The rhino line was professionally done and looks amazing. You can’t scratch this thing. This thing hasn’t seen much dirt to be honest. Mechanical this thing runs and drives like a dream, and was kept pretty stock. 4x4 is super smooth. Full Rampage Soft Top! I have rock sliders for the sides that I still need to install. Poison Spider hood. Brand new headlights. Feel free to hit me with any questions, I probably missed a lot of things on it. Bummed to sell this thing but need to pay bills."

Status
Not open for further replies.