Looking for advice on a 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder swap

Chaloux

First off I would like to apologize if there are any other threads that already covered this topic I was having trouble searching them.

So long story short I purchased two Jeeps for an absolute steal 1 Jeep is a 1998 TJ with the 4.0 and a 5-speed transmission with roughly 70,000 miles problem is the frame and body is shot so I also purchased a 1998 TJ with the four cylinder automatic with roughly 30k miles this Jeep is bone stock and has a beautiful frame my plan is to swap the entire drive train from the 6 cylinder into the four cylinder as well as all the mods and everything else. my question is since I have the same exact year when it comes to wiring is it pretty much Plug and Play, also am i better off keeping the 4cyl axles in as they are already 4:10s, what exactly needs to be changed I know I need to change the motor mounts but my biggest concern is the wiring as you know they are the both the same year so I'm just looking to get a better idea of what exactly i should do. Thank you

received_1059834194190655.jpeg

received_2559484067410118.jpeg

This was all in big package deal from a guy who lost interest. He basically bought the white tj thinking it was a good deal and found out the person he bought it from hid alot of frame damage with bondo and undercoat. I recieved both these jeeps, brand new like Rubicon seats, half doors, new 35s, newer rims, 3 inch fabetech lift, new fenders, new hood, and a few other things i am forgetting for $2100 steal of a lifetime

Reactions: Squatch
Sounds like a helluva deal to me! Congrats, and welcome to the zoo! I'm totally diggin' the little green one. It just looks like a plucky little rig that's been through the ringer, but refuses to let anything get in its way, and keeps plugging along. I actually laughed when I saw it. Very cool! :D

Reactions: lowranger
Haha thanks! And yea the green one is just a baby but the frame and body channels are mint! Little green is gonna be a big multi colored monster soon hopefully!

I'd say that if both rigs have the Dana 35/Dana 30 axle set-ups, then yes, the green one's 4.10 geared axles is the way to go. However, if the white one has a Dana 44 rear axle, I'd use its axles. I have a '98 Sahara with the 4.0 and 5-spd, and its gear ratio is 3.73. That would be horrid with 35" tires, and from what the experts on here say, the 4.10s wouldn't be that much better. If you're dead set on running the 35s, then a gear change is likely in your future. Otherwise, smaller tires would be advised for either of the gear ratios you currently have (again, I'm assuming 3.73 for the white TJ). There is discussion after discussion in this forum regarding gearing and tire sizes. You won't have to search very hard to find something that will educate you on the subject. ;)

Haha thanks! And yea the green one is just a baby but the frame and body channels are mint! Little green is gonna be a big multi colored monster soon hopefully!
I have driven many a vehicle that looks like some sort of patchwork quilt, with all its multi-colored panels. Doesn't bother me a bit. I currently drive a Mazda like that, in fact...

Reactions: Baird
Yes they are both rocking Dana 30/35s. And really? I thought 4:10 was plenty for 35s. The white one has the 3.73 gearing so definitely don't wanna go there. I had a 97 4.0 with 33s and 3.73 gearing as well as a 5 inch lift and i didn't seem to have many issues. And yea It looks like they've got every type of info possible on here!

I have driven many a vehicle that looks like some sort of patchwork quilt, with all its multi-colored panels. Doesn't bother me a bit. I currently drive a Mazda like that, in fact...

Haha my last tj was the same way. Green doors, red rub, white windshield frame. It was interesting. I didn't care one bit!

Reactions: Baird and Squatch
Yes they are both rocking Dana 30/35s. And really? I thought 4:10 was plenty for 35s. The white one has the 3.73 gearing so definitely don't wanna go there. I had a 97 4.0 with 33s and 3.73 gearing as well as a 5 inch lift and i didn't seem to have many issues. And yea It looks like they've got every type of info possible on here!
LOL I think you'll be shocked to find just how deep the gearing really needs to be for the 35s. I'm no expert at it, as I'm running 31" tires, and maintain the 3.73 gears. But like I said, just take a look at some of the threads. You will be amazed, I assure you! ;)

Haha my last tj was the same way. Green doors, red rub, white windshield frame. It was interesting. I didn't care one bit!
I drove a '66 Rambler Classic like that. It also rocked what I liked to call the "Shredded Wheat" interior. The material was so thin, it looked like the cereal, for sure!

Good deal!

Yeah Ideally you want 4.56 but can get away with 4.10 if you live in flat terrain and or you dont load your TJ too much with heavy accessories.

Okay as long as i can get away with 4:10s for awhile that would be great. I don't plan on doing any hardcore trailing or anything but urs definitely not gonna be a pavement princess either. I'll end up going to the 4.56 if i have to or consider going to 33s .

I drove a '66 Rambler Classic like that. It also rocked what I liked to call the "Shredded Wheat" interior. The material was so thin, it looked like the cereal, for sure!

Haha hey gotta keep it unique right? Who likes nice paint jobs and interiors in this forum anyways

Okay as long as i can get away with 4:10s for awhile that would be great. I don't plan on doing any hardcore trailing or anything but urs definitely not gonna be a pavement princess either. I'll end up going to the 4.56 if i have to or consider going to 33s .
If you were looking to save some coin, you could probably trade the 35s for some 33s, or sell the 35s and buy some 33s. Either way, unless you are capable of doing a gear change yourself, going to 33s would be cheaper than doing a gear change. There's also the whole issue of the inherent weaknesses of a Dana 35. Running 35s wouldn't be advisable, as per (once again) many, many posts throughout this forum.

Reactions: Baird and GTboosted
If you were looking to save some coin, you could probably trade the 35s for some 33s, or sell the 35s and buy some 33s. Either way, unless you are capable of doing a gear change yourself, going to 33s would be cheaper than doing a gear change. There's also the whole issue of the inherent weaknesses of a Dana 35. Running 35s wouldn't be advisable, as per (once again) many, many posts throughout this forum.
Yea i mean as much as i don't want to agree with you i definitely understand. Its only rocking a 3 inch lift anyways so 33s will still look nice. Id rather have smaller tires and increase reliability. And i want nothing to do with re gearing myself. I know how difficult that is and i also know how expensive it is unfortunately. So yea i will have to agree. Save money and down grade too 33s is the smart option

Good advice right here.

I also plan on selling all the left over parts as well. Axles from the white jeep. The entire 4cyl drivetrain. Should be able to bring in a a decent amount