Looking for advice on a possible axle purchase

txisboi

Good Day!

Looking for some guidance/advice/info on a possible axle purchase. An opportunity is available for me to purchase 2 axles and wondering if it will be worth the purchase. Currently have Stock 2000 sport with future plans of going 4" lift on 35's. For whatever reason a build sheet will not load for me. Current axles are dana 30 and dana 35 and not sure on the internals. My current dana 30 has a badly damage control arm bracket which I believes contributes to the horrible steering.

The TJ will by mostly be weekend driving with occasional weekday driving to work. Some small trails/creeks.

For under $300 I have an opportunity to purchase a Dana 30 w/ 4.56gears, p/d axles, new u-joints, ball joints and lube locker gasket. Also included is a spicer driveshaft.

Thoughts on the purchase? Is it worth just fixing the damaged control arm bracket? I take this will be a direct swap?

Thanks for reading and assisting in anyway.

I'd weld on a new control arm bracket before spending $300 on a Dana 30 axle. Depending on transmission you might have to regear it when you go to 35s.

If it had chromoly shafts and a locker then maybe I would have a different answer

4.56 with a 5 speed and 35's would likely not be low enough for you. You'd want 4.88's or 5.13's

Would you be welding it yourself? I'd be willing to bet it would cost close to 300 bucks for parts and labor to replace the bracket.

I'd weld on a new control arm bracket before spending $300 on a Dana 30 axle. Depending on transmission you might have to regear it when you go to 35s.

If it had chromoly shafts and a locker then maybe I would have a different answer
This would be a 5spd, no aftermarket shaft/locker. Also agree on the regear.

Would you be welding it yourself? I'd be willing to bet it would cost close to 300 bucks for parts and labor to replace the bracket.
I was thinking heat and hammer. If I go the welding route, beefier brackets and I would have someone weld them on for me.

I'm not sure where you are geared right now, but if you install the axle with 4:56 and your rear axle is anything but 4:56, then it won't work without regearing the rear axle too. I agree that 4:56 isn't steep enough for 35's, 4.0, and 5 speed. BUT, if you are going to stay 33's for a long while it might be worth it to pick up that axle since it's already geared, new ball joints, etc. Your call, but make an educated decision.

Reactions: Ante_Up
I'm not sure where you are geared right now, but if you install the axle with 4:56 and your rear axle is anything but 4:56, then it won't work without regearing the rear axle too. I agree that 4:56 isn't steep enough for 35's, 4.0, and 5 speed. BUT, if you are going to stay 33's for a long while it might be worth it to pick up that axle since it's already geared, new ball joints, etc. Your call, but make an educated decision.
Thank you sir. Are you able to link me any threads related to regearing and axles. I can use the search but figure i would ask.

Would it be a better option to upgrade the rear first or would both front/rear need to be done at the same time?

You can do the front first, just wouldn't be able to engage 4wd until the rear gears matched

I hope this isn't intrusive. I didn't think starting another axle thread while this one was fresh was a good idea. I also am looking at some new (to me) axles and wanted some input. The axles are front&rear dana 44 with factory disc brakes, factory lockers, and 4.10 gearing. They look in good shape to me (seller said that he is upgrading to tons and that is the reason for the sale). He is asking $3800 for the pair. Feels high to me but I have no real idea of what something like this would go for.
Thanks for any help :]

I hope this isn't intrusive. I didn't think starting another axle thread while this one was fresh was a good idea. I also am looking at some new (to me) axles and wanted some input. The axles are front&rear dana 44 with factory disc brakes, factory lockers, and 4.10 gearing. They look in good shape to me (seller said that he is upgrading to tons and that is the reason for the sale). He is asking $3800 for the pair. Feels high to me but I have no real idea of what something like this would go for.
They're worth what you're willing to pay for them I guess. I'm in the process of doing the same. Mine have 4.88 gears, factory lockers w/pumps, big brake kit, chromoly shafts and included Teraflex high steer kit (which I'm going to sell to recoup some money) I paid 3200 plus the cost of an oem knuckle to replace the Teraflex. I was looking for a while and prices seemed to average 3500

Those are Rubicon edition axles and yeah thats what most people ask for them. Its a lot of money considering you still need chromoly shafts and new gears. Whatever you give him for those axles, you'll need to add $1600 to it to add those items. $3800 is VERY high when you see that most other axles are pretty much dirt cheap, but because of the desirability of the Rubicon axles, people are charging that much.
Ask yourself if you really need those axles. For $3800 you could probably build your dana 30/dana 35 with selectable lockers, 4.56 gears for your 33's (or 4.88 gears if you plan to go to 35's), chromoly shafts, and upgraded brakes. You could run safely run 35's on those built axles.

Those are Rubicon edition axles and yeah thats what most people ask for them. Its a lot of money considering you still need chromoly shafts and new gears. Whatever you give him for those axles, you'll need to add $1600 to it to add those items. $3800 is VERY high when you see that most other axles are pretty much dirt cheap, but because of the desirability of the Rubicon axles, people are charging that much.
Ask yourself if you really need those axles. For $3800 you could probably build your dana 30/dana 35 with selectable lockers, 4.56 gears for your 33's (or 4.88 gears if you plan to go to 35's), chromoly shafts, and upgraded brakes. You could run safely run 35's on those built axles.
@Xysos questions are good, and i would agree that price seems steep for 4.10 and stock shafts.

Thank you sir. Are you able to link me any threads related to regearing and axles. I can use the search but figure i would ask.

Would it be a better option to upgrade the rear first or would both front/rear need to be done at the same time?

Check out the billa Vista gear Bible

Reactions: Ante_Up
@Ante_Up Understandable. Most deals are only worth what somebody is willing to pay.
Dang, those axles are much beefier than these. I'd be interested in yours if I end up passing on these.

@L0jik I don't "need" them but I am pretty keen on upgrading from the automatic locker and undersized gearing in my current axles (3.07 front/3.73rear). I like the idea of building up the axles i have but don't have much of an idea on where to start there.
If i bought these, are new lockers/gears mandatory? One of the reasons this axle pair attracted me was because I thought I wouldn't have to do either of those things.

@Ante_Up Understandable. Most deals are only worth what somebody is willing to pay.
Dang, those axles are much beefier than these. I'd be interested in yours if I end up passing on these.

@L0jik I don't "need" them but I am pretty keen on upgrading from the automatic locker and undersized gearing in my current axles (3.07 front/3.73rear). I like the idea of building up the axles i have but don't have much of an idea on where to start there.
If i bought these, are new lockers/gears mandatory? One of the reasons this axle pair attracted me was because I thought I wouldn't have to do either of those things.
I'm not selling the axles, just the high steer kit 😁 I'm in the process of installing them. Assuming those parts are good, you don't HAVE to get new lockers and gears. That being said, depending on your tire size plans, you may not be happy with the driveability of that present gear ratio. Also, you said 3.07 front and 3.73 rear... That won't work either. The gears need to match

I'm not selling the axles, just the high steer kit 😁 I'm in the process of installing them. Assuming those parts are good, you don't HAVE to get new lockers and gears. That being said, depending on your tire size plans, you may not be happy with the driveability of that present gear ratio. Also, you said 3.07 front and 3.73 rear... That won't work either. The gears need to match

Ah, Gotcha. I misunderstood :p.

I definitely think that 4.10 would be good for now. I think 33s are the stopping point for now. The 3.07/3.73 ratio is what my build sheet from the factory said and it doesn't feel right. Underpowered trying to get highway speeds and underpowered for offroading as well. Also, in 4wd there is a clunking sound that I think comes from the mismatched gear ratios. I think the matching 4.10s would be a huge improvement over the current setup + lockers and disc brakes. Then theoretically i would have the ability to build those up the same as what I currently have.

I guess, as L0jik said, it depends on whether I want to build my current axles up or start "fresh".

@Xysos $900 per axle for ARBs, probably $1500 or more to regear (gears, install kits, labor). That gets your axles to roughly same place as the Rubi axles you mentioned.

Pros - maybe little less money. Can select your gears.

Cons - still Dana 30/Dana 35 so shaft upgrade good idea for 33s and highly recommended for 35s.

Rubi Pros - set of axles with resale value. Even if is only $200 can sell current axles. Stronger stock shafts.

Rubi Cons - not ideal gear ratio.

If you have 3.07 then yes likely notice difference. If you have 3.73 maybe not as much. You didn’t mention if Rubi axles come with pump so didn’t include compressor under either. If they come with pump that is about $300 saved. Did not mention brakes as should go to at least Black Magic pads either way.

At $3800 probably close to breaking point. If can talk him down or have upgraded shafts would push it more toward the Rubi 44s.

With LJ already having rear 44 kinda caught in middle. Especially as the Rubi front 44 is usually priced crazy. Scoring ridiculous deal on front shafts has me planning for keeping the Dana 30 front for now.