Looking for aftermarket radiator recommendations

Ryan

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys just recently bought my first 2005 wrangler TJ and I have noticed the radiator is starting leak a Lititle bit, looking for some advice on whether to replace it with an OEM stock radiator or go with an aftermarket aluminum? Which aftermarket brands are the best to go with? Thanks in advance.

Please don't get me started on aftermarket radiators and how much they suck.

For the price of an OE radiator (which isn't that much), you're guaranteed at least 10+ years of life, and over 100k of miles before you even have to think about replacing it. Anytime I read about aftermarket radiators, I always hear of issues around the 2 year mark (sometimes sooner, sometimes later).

Every single aftermarket replacement radiator out there is made of cheap, inferior plastics with very little quality control. You can get them for pretty cheap prices at your local auto part store, but you won't have the piece of mind of knowing that it's going to last you at least 10 years. And even if it comes with a lifetime warranty, do you want to change it out again after it goes bad 2 years later?

This is truly a no brainer. Don't be one of those guys who tries to save a few bucks on one of the most important components of your vehicle by going with an aftermarket radiator. Talk to any of the experts out there and they'll always recommend an OE Mopar radiator replacement.

They really aren't that expensive either, see below:

OE Mopar Radiator: 55037652AA (Manual Transmission)
OE Mopar Radiator: 55037653AC (Automatic Transmission)

Sorry if I seem passionate about this one. It's one thing I really hate to see is people trying to cheap out on their cooling system, which is arguably one of the most important components of your vehicle in regards to maintenance.

Go OE brother. I replaced mine with a O'Reilly's unit out of necessity because my OE radiator cracked on the way to Moab Ut. Had to get what I could at the time. Well, it's been 18 months and 20K miles and the O'Reilly's special is leaking from the bottom tank at the crimps.

Reactions: Chris
I'm thinking this is the number 1 top question to do with TJ's (correct me if I'm wrong @Chris ) haha..Go OEM for sure its just one of those things that is sure to go on TJ's ...don't it once and do it right !!

I made that mistake on my old JKU (2012)...original radiator went @60,000 miles so replaced with a Mishimoto aluminum one. Looked real good but did not last 7 months...luckily amazon stood behind it and refunded my money..went back with an OEM.

Reactions: Ryan and Chris
I made that mistake on my old JKU (2012)...original radiator went @60,000 miles so replaced with a Mishimoto aluminum one. Looked real good but did not last 7 months...luckily amazon stood behind it and refunded my money..went back with an OEM.

Not the first time I've heard it. Those Mishimoto aluminum ones are garbage.

I'm know that @mrblaine has some experience with aluminum radiators :p

OE for sure and while you have it out go ahead and change the water pump, thermostat, and hoses. All of that may be original.

The water pump is a unit I installed for the previous owner about 4 years ago. However, I'm the sort that will replace items as a preventive maintenance when I'm "already in there". So yes, I'll likely replace the pump when I do the radiator. Belts and hoses, as well. I know for a fact that the PO was short on finances for years, and the maintenance on the TJ was largely ignored (save for oil changes, gratefully). I'm already finding evidence of it. Thanks for the good advice!

Wow I did not think it would be unanimous to go with the OEM lol, thanks for all the info and advice guys I'll be ordering me an OEM radiator next week.

Reactions: CodaMan
What a timely thread for me, as I noticed leakage on my radiator yesterday when cleaning up under the hood of my '98. Sounds like OE is really the only way to go. This thread answered a question I hadn't even asked, yet! :D
Agree totally- my '98 is in the shop right now, just waiting for an estimate (on an aftermarket)

Reactions: Squatch