Looking for cruise control experts

dw0783

Supporting Member
So I’m trying to get my cruise functional. I’ve vacuum tested everything and no issues, heater controls switch vents as well. Replaced the brake switch, checked all the servo wires to the brake switch and pcm with an ohm meter and everything is good. Haven’t pulled the airbag yet to look at the steering wheel buttons, but when I turn the key on and when I do a dash diag test the cruise light does not illuminate and I tried swapping the bulb to no avail. I tried searching but couldn’t find any real help. Any ideas on what to check next before throwing parts at it? I have no codes, no lights on the dash, and everything else works including the horn.

I'm may not be qualified as a cruise control expert but I would check the steering wheel switches next.

When you push ON, it should turn on the dash light. Maybe the ON switch is broken? Pretty common problem with the switches breaking. No idea how that would relate to the light not coming on with the dash gauge check.

My light would go on but when I pushed SET, nothing would happen. It was a bad switch. Could tell by doing an ohm check.

Yeah that was next on the list, the light not turning on at all just threw me, it didn’t even come on with the gauge check, every other light did though but that one

You have converted your engine from a 4.0L to a 5.9L; could the problem stem from the conversion of the engine wiring harness ?
You may have missed connecting a wire or possibly the PCM is not compatible ?

You have converted your engine from a 4.0L to a 5.9L; could the problem stem from the conversion of the engine wiring harness ?
You may have missed connecting a wire or possibly the PCM is not compatible ?
the cruise doesn’t go through the engine harness at all, just the body and I didn’t change anything on it.

Now that you mention the pcm though I wonder if it’s looking for different resistance values coming from the switches…

Reactions: CharlesHS
It’s from a 99, I’ll stop into the junk yard this week and test the switches on a truck

Reactions: JMT
When my cruise would not operate I pulled the steering column cover and found the lower connector to the clock spring had popped out of place. I didn't realize until I wiggled it a bit. Firmly pulling it forward and snapping it back in place put everything back to normal. It's a long shot but it'll only cost you a few minutes and you'll get a look at the wires and clock spring in the process.

When my cruise would not operate I pulled the steering column cover and found the lower connector to the clock spring had popped out of place. I didn't realize until I wiggled it a bit. Firmly pulling it forward and snapping it back in place put everything back to normal. It's a long shot but it'll only cost you a few minutes and you'll get a look at the wires and clock spring in the process.
I’ll check that it tomorrow morning, I have had the cover off multiple times so it’s possible I knocked something loose

Reactions: pagrey
Just to come back and update, I picked up a 2000 ram pcm to fix my shifting issues and it resolved my cruise issue as well. So it was just looking for a different resistance from the buttons.