Looking For Gear Pattern Input

Between the first pattern and the current pattern, it looks better than what i see come out of ALOT of shops. You wont have issues with either pattern.

Between the first pattern and the current pattern, it looks better than what i see come out of ALOT of shops. You wont have issues with either pattern.
That is great to hear. I contacted a buddy's dad who messaged his mechanic and he said something very similar. Thinking I may bring it by the offroad shop kinda close to me so I can support local, have my front bearings pressed on, and talk with their gears guy, with the axle actually being present. Thanks for the message!

We all want our Jeeps to be perfect but the reality with gears is that the “acceptable” spectrum of patterns is “acceptable” for a reason.

Reactions: Morks and DWR
I have a crank no start issue right now so the fun stuff has to be put on pause :rolleyes:. It has fuel pressure, spark, and a new cps and nothing. These things are a royal pita lol. When I get back to the axle I will add a thou and see where it puts me!

I have a crank no start issue right now so the fun stuff has to be put on pause :rolleyes:. It has fuel pressure, spark, and a new cps and nothing. These things are a royal pita lol. When I get back to the axle I will add a thou and see where it puts me!
Just went through that, the next thing to try is replacing the camshaft position sensor (aka the distributor pickup)… but first try this, I unplugged cleaned and replugged in all of the spark plug wires and the plug that goes from the ECU to the coil… fixed my issue.

Just went through that, the next thing to try is replacing the camshaft position sensor (aka the distributor pickup)… but first try this, I unplugged cleaned and replugged in all of the spark plug wires and the plug that goes from the ECU to the coil… fixed my issue.
I replaced the opda and camshaft position sensor (with the good working one from my leftover engine). However, I didn't check the position before taking it out, but got it to TDC and put it in with the 2 holes lined up on the opda. I have an 04 so has a coil pack, everything is clean and gets spark! I do have a p0340, and p1391 code as well before it died on me.

edit: it does want to start, not just crank, but actually wants to start. I am going to shoot some quick start and see if it'll run. Maybe bad pressure in the fuel rail, I don't have a fuel pressure tester.

I replaced the opda and camshaft position sensor (with the good working one from my leftover engine). However, I didn't check the position before taking it out, but got it to TDC and put it in with the 2 holes lined up on the opda. I have an 04 so has a coil pack, everything is clean and gets spark! I do have a p0340, and p1391 code as well before it died on me.

edit: it does want to start, not just crank, but actually wants to start. I am going to shoot some quick start and see if it'll run. Maybe bad pressure in the fuel rail, I don't have a fuel pressure tester.
Sounds like your opda is a bit off then

Reactions: JMT and Morks
By the way I understand, no…unless it’s just a hair off. Thankfully haven’t had to deal with it myself.
I'll go give it a look again... Hopefully, find something I did wrong.

Okay, I think I have a pattern that I am fully satisfied with! I added a bit to the backlash and 1 thou to the pinion depth. This is 7 thou backlash, and bearing caps fully torqued down.
image0 (21).jpeg
image2 (5).jpeg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ and JMT
I think either is good. I feel good about the second last pics I posted. I am going to finish buttoning it up and hopefully, it serves me well. I appreciate all the help. Hopefully, when I do the front end it'll only take a pic or two to get it to smack on.

Reactions: MangoTango and JMT