Looking for roll cage recommendations

02marc02

I'm looking at getting a better roll cage for my tj and I need to be able to run both my hardtop and soft top I was looking at Poison spider but you can't run the softop so anyone know a cage that can do what I want ?

Why do you need a better roll cage? The factory one works just fine. In fact, the factory roll cage is going to be better than nearly any aftermarket “roll cage”.

Me thinks you’re looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist 😉

Reactions: TheBoogieman
the parts that might benefit the most PS doesn't supply., and some of those are custom made, since the only better parts are the custom made pieces why bother with the rest?

if you're building this because you might need it then you should also consider it expendable and not sink a bunch of $ into it.
if i was to do another i might upgrade the door header bars and add A pillars a gusset between those and call it done. the B Bar is adequate as long as the anchor points are solid, being a PA resident 1 might want to ensure that area of the tub is sound. mine looked good from inside but once i tore into it, what was under it was a rotten mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artsifrtsi
We neee @toximus in here to explain the difference between a real roll cage and these bolt-in cages. He explains it better than I certainly can.

Stock one does its job. Only bumps and bruises on the driver. Seatbelt helped a lot. (y)
WRECKED JEEP1 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

wrecked jeep4.jpg

wrecked jeep2.jpg

WRECKED JEEP (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Good video to watch. I just purchased a Genright cage for my LJ after spending a lot of time reading and researching. Safety should be the number one concern. Don’t cheap out.

There isn’t enough triangulation in the stock cage for any serious off-roading in my opinion, I usually use 1 3/4” DOM for the main tubes with 1 1/2 “ bracing both with .120 wall thickness when I build a cage. You could use chrome moly and get away with smaller diameters, but it’s pricey.

I'd like to get one eventually. There just aren't any 'retail' cages that are built very well. The Genright is the best I've seen. Though a custom cage would be better, yet cost a ton of money.

The first argument that comes to my mine: If you're going to drive it to and from the trail, are you wearing a helmet on the freeway and off road? You're more likely to get in an accident driving to and from. So with all those extra bars, you're more likely to get injured/killed from hitting your head on one of the bars.

I was on a local trail and a runaway Land Rover started rolling backwards and sideways. Ended up T-boning a parked TJ. The passenger of the TJ had her seatbelt on, but hit her head pretty good on an aftermarket roll bar. She got a concussion and that was at less than 5mph. So what's going to happen at 70mph?

Are you going to wear the 5 point restraints 100% of the time when the Jeep is moving?

Weight is also a big concern. I have many aluminum parts to save weight. Going to lose all that savings with a cage.

Reactions: TheBoogieman