Looking for some advice on a potential 2003 Rubicon purchase

Welp…

BC62493B-FA7E-4C42-A9DD-B790C5098349.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
By telling you that you screwed up. But at least it's not the minivan motor. We will accept you back when you realize what you did.
I motion for a 90 day waiting period, then 6 months probation and an ankle bracelet to make sure he stays out of dealerships. All agree by hitting like.

By telling you that you screwed up. But at least it's not the minivan motor. We will accept you back when you realize what you did.
Well, looks like you were right; I now realize what I did: I bought a great jeep with some creature comforts, a very strong engine (probably more noticeable with the 2 door) and amazing off-road capability that includes locking electronic front and rear axles from the factory, electronic swaybar disconnect, 32-inch tires, etc.. I only picked it up 2 nights ago, but I had a blast all day yesterday, including getting royally stuck in some deep ruts hidden under icy water. I was able to self-recover with a great system called Bog Outs - worth looking up. I've really only driven this Jeep for one day, but so far it has been a joy to drive on and off road. Realizing what I did I'm really glad I did it because, for one thing, I got to enjoy my new Jeep the day after I picked it up instead of having figuring out where to begin that TJ project I test drove. Perhaps someday you'll realize what you haven't done and come to the JK or JL side. An yes, I can go roofless too. Happy TJing.

Why not have the Trailhawk as your DD, the JK, AND a TJ?
I'd love to, but my wallet and I are in disagreement on the matter. Wallet wins. :( Plus, I don't have a garage to use for a project. That TJ looked nice but was mechanically very rough. It wouldn't even go into 4wd. Also, they only made the TJ Rubicon for 4 years so support is fading more each year. In the end, I really like the JK. It is bigger $$, but any newer vehicle is. I've only had the JK a day or two and I already love it and have already gotten myself into trouble with it. Beware of hidden ruts. Bog Outs saved my butt. I'll never go off road without them after this.

20220226_161711a_resize.JPG

20220226_161731a_resize.JPG

20220226_162248a_resize.JPG

20220226_162257_resize.jpg

20220226_162312_resize.jpg

20220226_164838a_resize.JPG

Last edited:
I'd love to, but my wallet and I are in disagreement on the matter. Wallet wins. :( Plus, I don't have a garage to use for a project. That TJ looked nice but was mechanically very rough. It wouldn't even it into 4wd. Also, they only made the TJ Rubicon for 4 years so support is fading more each year. In the end, I really like the JK. It is bigger $$, but any newer vehicle is. I've only had the JK a day or two and I already love it and have already gotten myself into trouble with it. Beware of hidden ruts. Bog Outs saved my butt. I'll never going off roading without them again.

View attachment 312551

View attachment 312552

View attachment 312553

View attachment 312554

View attachment 312555

View attachment 312556
Nice Jeep. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Well, looks like you were right; I now realize what I did: I bought a great jeep with some creature comforts, a very strong engine (probably more noticeable with the 2 door) and amazing off-road capability that includes locking electronic front and rear axles from the factory, electronic swaybar disconnect, 32-inch tires, etc.. I only picked it up 2 nights ago, but I had a blast all day yesterday, including getting royally stuck in some deep ruts hidden under icy water. I was able to self-recover with a great system called Bog Outs - worth looking up. I've really only driven this Jeep for one day, but so far it has been a joy to drive on and off road. Realizing what I did I'm really glad I did it because, for one thing, I got to enjoy my new Jeep the day after I picked it up instead of having figuring out where to begin that TJ project I test drove. Perhaps someday you'll realize what you haven't done and come to the JK or JL side. An yes, I can go roofless too. Happy TJing.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've been in them plenty and am happy with where I'm at. Part of it is cultural preference, in that the TJ generation is a type I click with more.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've been in them plenty and am happy with where I'm at. Part of it is cultural preference, in that the TJ generation is a type I click with more.
That's the main thing I think: Do what works for you. If I had a garage to do the work,and didn't want to hit the trails NOW, I would have more seriously considered the TJ. You guys were a lot of help while it was still on the table. I very much appreciate it. I'll saunter on down the hall to the JK room from here on. Happy Wheelin'