Looking for tips on how to replace camshaft

Jay MacLeay

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 2005 4.0l. A year and a half ago I replaced the OPDA with a Crown unit, but I keep getting p0340, p0344 and p0016 error codes. I took the OPDA off and found this (photos of cam gear and OPDA gear below).

I am pretty sure my problem is that the cam gear has been worn out causing it to mesh incorrectly with the new opda, and chewing the teeth on the OPDA gear.

Looking for advice on how to remove and replace the camshaft.

20190303_110442.jpg

20190301_132417.jpg

Haynes, chilton, factory service manual:
Remove grill and radiator
Removed valve cover, rocker arms and pushrods, remove head
Remove timing cover and timing chain
Remove camshaft

Reverse to put back together.
there is a lot more to it, but that is the major parts

Good point @astjp2!

I am trying to get Jeep to replace the camshaft for free or reduced price, but I need a Jeep technician to say that the cam gear is worn and causing the error codes, but the technician said they inspected the gear and didn't see any wear. They are saying that the cam and crank sensors need to be replaced. I don't think they ever actually looked at the gear. I am going back tomorrow to show them the pictures I have.

I spoke with someone at Chrysler and made a claim. If a tech. Says the cam gear is worn and needs to be replaced, the agent I spoke with said they may foot the bill or do a partial payment.

I am assuming the Jeep technician is not going to go back on his/her initial ruling. If that's the case, may last resort will be to take it to another dealership and show them the pictures and hope they agree that the camshaft needs to be replaced.

But, I am preparing for the worst, which is I will have to do it myself. I have never done any engine work like this before, so I am trying to avoid it at all cost, but I definitely can't afford to have someone do it for me.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate any help I can get here.

Reactions: twistedlv
LMAO! That cam wouldn’t pass any engine builder I know inspection.

If they don't offer to pay Id be looking at getting an aftermarket performance cam and maybe having it cryo treated if you want extra piece of mind, then install a new Crown OPDA along with it. Might as well upgrade if you're going to be deep enough into the engine to replace a cam.

They're not going to pay a dime on a 15 y.o. vehicle. Especially with an aftermarket part involved. They will say the opda gear is out of spec.

Reactions: hear
You’re in a tough decision making situation. With the amount of labor required to replace the cam you may consider @billiebob contact with replacing the engine.

Just curious OP, but did you switch out the crown CPS for o.e? I think the crown units are known for causing errors.

Crane 735901 is one option, I used it in my 4.6 stroker. You want a 112 or higher lobe seperation angle if you can find one, helps idle and low end torque. Also use 5.7 hemi valves, they are oversize but a direct drop in for the length.

Reactions: Head Lice