Loose brake caliper

RubiconMan

Today I was checking under my 2004 Jeep Rubicon for any loose bolts etc. when I noticed that the caliper was loose. I have the Black Magic Brake pads and the Vanco kit. I have attached a video of the caliper on the front passenger side, I have also noticed that the front driver side caliper is loose but not as loose as the passenger side. I have checked the caliper bolts and they are tight.

Thanks in advance.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0621.MOV
    16.5 MB
Here is a picture of the Vanco part.

IMG_0622.jpg

The caliper floats/slides on the bolts. It's not a high precision setup. If the pads are backed off of the disc far enough, you will notice the 'looseness' if you go check it out like you did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kid Mechanic
The caliper floats/slides on the bolts. It's not a high precision setup. If the pads are backed off of the disc far enough, you will notice the 'looseness' if you go check it out like you did.
It is reasonably high precision. If the guide pin bores are not machined perpendicular to the bolt boss faces where the saddle bolts up to the knuckle, then the pads don't sit square to the rotor face and the guide pins bind and lock up when the brakes are applied. There should also not be enough slop in the pins or holes that the caliper can rattle.

We take a lot of shit for granted that has a lot more to it than meets the eye. ;)

Reactions: 707kevin
It is reasonably high precision. If the guide pin bores are not machined perpendicular to the bolt boss faces where the saddle bolts up to the knuckle, then the pads don't sit square to the rotor face and the guide pins bind and lock up when the brakes are applied. There should also not be enough slop in the pins or holes that the caliper can rattle.

We take a lot of shit for granted that has a lot more to it than meets the eye. ;)
I removed the pins and greased them but they are still loose. I have attached a video file.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/EOzQ-OTsLog/edit

Thank you so much for the fast reply. I have one question, in the picture the two guide pins are different. I have attached a picture of my guide pin which is the same of the top and bottom.
The two that are different are OEM and a better design since the rubber bushing helps stop the rattling.

Thank you so much for the fast reply. I will order them right now.
The guide pin kit just arrived today, I installed them and the new pins are still loose when installed, especially the bottom pin. It appears the bottom hole is more worn than the top. Do I need to order the part that the pins fit into? I apologize but I do not know the name of the this part. Thanks in advance.