Lost my riding buddy

tacman605

Well guys it has been a rough few days.
I have been rescuing pit bulls for years and finally had found forever homes for all but one.
Breacher was a 100 pounds of pure joy. Always happy, always smiling and he loved to ride.
About a week ago the left side of his face swelled and guessing he had eaten or been stung I gave him Benadryl and the swelling went down. Then his left foot did the same thing along with right hind leg.
At the vet he tested positive for a tick born disease which is completely curable with antibiotics, however he did not respond so he was given a second round of a different meds still with no change.
He was admitted and given iv fluids and antibiotics but the next day he was diagnosed with Blastomycosis.
This is a fungal infection caused by mold from downed trees near bodies of water. The trees get wet, mold grows, the mold spores dry and are inhaled by the dog.
Two different vet clinics did all they could but he got to the point he could not hold down meds and the meds for this only come in oral form.
I was there for his final moments and then brought him back to the mountain that he loved so much.
A lot of people have K-9 companions on the trail. Although it is great to see them wander around while stopped please keep and eye on them especially around creeks, lakes and streams.
There is no rhyme or reason to this disease and while all pets and people can contract it, it seems to prefer young or middle aged male dogs.
They think this is because they are more likely to be out running and digging in the dirt.
After awhile I may rescue another pit tie but for now I will be riding solo.

E95DE264-39DC-4D08-A3C9-9521B2CFCE84.jpeg

Aww, sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a source of so much happiness like that can really be a punch to the gut. Looks like you gave him a really good life while you had him though. Pits definitely have a tough time getting adopted since so many places (landlords, homeowners associations, insurance companies, etc.) put restrictions on them and even beyond that, there's a lot of unfair stigma that they get from people that just don't raise them right. With a good, loving home though, they're great dogs and it sounds like you gave him exactly that.

Man, First i am sorry for your lose. Losing your best friend is extremely rough. I kinda know how you are feeling. I lost my riding Buddy on the 31st of March this year. He had a mass in his spleen and was good 24 hours before he left me. I was just thinking of him a lot lately and revisiting my feelings. Its rough, i rescued him from a shelter were no one wanted to adopt him. We became so close, and through him i met so many wonderful people and an group called Dogs on Deployment. Buddy ended up becoming an unofficial mascot for them and had interviews and articles written with him in it. He loved his Jeep. I am here for ya man if you just want to talk about dogs!

Sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Its so hard. I lost two last year, one to a heart disease and one to cancer. All we can do is make them as comfortable as can be for as long as we can. Looks like your guy was happy.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

I have visited the local animal shelter several times over the last few days and may have found a new partner. I have decided not to rush into anything he still has to be cat tested as I have a 13 year old house cat that was here first.

@tacman605 there is nothing like losing a furbaby. Your gave him a great life and he loved you as much as he could and then more. He'll be waiting for you in heaven wagging his tail.

Sorry for your lost. Losing a companion is never easy. 🥺

Sorry for your loss buddy! I feel your pain. I lost my dog (Labrador about 4 years ago) and still wish he was here. I got him when he was just 8 weeks old. Man ... I wish he was still here jumping around me and the family.