Loud squealing noise when A/C kicks on

MikeJeeper

Yesterday while driving my AC was working for 20 minutes then I started to smell something burning (plastic maybe rubber) then the ac stopped working. All the blower speeds still work, new resistor, fan relay, Accumulator, ac lines, fresh charge with 500 micron vacuum. (before all this happened). Pretty sure the compressor was changed by the previous owner and it hasn't been used much. Only thing different I did this drive was try and use my cruise control that never really has worked right, cruise light was on when this all happened but not being used, not sure if that had anything to do with it but it was the only thing different I did this drive. A/C has been working great all summer till now.

Fast forward a few hours the same day, start it up and A/C works for a minute then the squealing started and lasted only like 10 seconds. Fast forward to this morning, I go to start it, no squeal, turn on the A/C and then the squealing started and it was extremely loud. The rad fan wasn't moving at full speed till the squealing stopped 10 seconds later.

Sounds like your compressor is locking up, have someone start it while you keep an eye on the compressor pulley to see if it is rotating.

If that is the case, what would I need to do? What would have caused it? I guess the burning smell was the belt rubbing on the pulley, but it wasn't squealing when I smelled the burning. Hhhhmmmm, I'll do what you suggested here in a bit

My a/c compressor seems to make a loud squeezing sound when I first start up the jeep. It usually last about 15 seconds then stops. I tried to see where it is coming from when It is making the noise but the best I can determine is the a/c compressor? Can I oil it or something? it is winter and I do not use the a/c and probably not much in summer either. 1997 TJ 4l 6 cyl. thanks