M151 Army Days

I was stationed in Graf, 3/60 ADA. I was a 63B and a 52B. Worked on the M151a lot. Great rig.
I spent nearly my entire 3 and a half years in Graf, but I wasn't stationed there. We were from 1/4 Cavalry in Schweinfurt. Can't say a saw Schweinfurt a whole lot, we were field problem fools, Graf & Hohenfels. Fun times tho.

Reactions: Flivver250
I sold mine last week. I regret it already a little bit...

There were 2 different suspensions, one had the lower control arm as a trailing arm the other was from the frame to the outboard. Supposedly they changed after a few roll overs due to higher speeds and the wheels folding under the jeep. A little before my time and too bad the military cut a chunk out of the forward frames to make them un driveable. Stupid DRMO

My Dad found a '68 A 1. He knew of the roll over issues, so we installed limiting straps on the rear swing arms. We also gusseted the parts that were cut and welded back together.
And installed seat belts. It's a good thing that we did that, because a year later a car pulled out in front of him. The impact pushed the passenger front tire up under the pass. floor board. But it didn't roll. Good thing for seat belts.

Anyone remember working on these in the Army? I joined in 1982 as a 63W Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic and spent my fair share under one. I once rode shotgun in one from Grafenwöhr, to Baumholder Germany, in October, with no doors and no top, on the autobahn, zipped up in a sleeping bag. Driver too. Got some pretty crazy looks.

To set the toe-in, we would get a special "tool" from the tool room. It was springy, like a shower curtain rod, and you would wedge it between the front tires at the center rear position. You would then roll the Jeep backwards until it was at the center front position. There was a slider gauge, and you would read the difference. I would think it would work well on the TJ's, but have never been able to find one.

Anyone remember this?

View attachment 100335

View attachment 100336
seems to be a modified ROPS, normally there are supporting bars in the front area - here it's kinda "jeepish"