Magnum engine questions

Remember that a carburetor for whatever reason always puts down better power numbers on a dyno than fuel injection. And I can't tell you where I'd read that or saw that mentioned sometime in the last week.
The 300hp "Mopar Performance" crate motor version was the exact same engine as the 5.9L Ram engine, but with a different intake (for carb). Same cam, pistons, etc. Only difference was the intake (a single plane) and the ability to run at higher ignition timing than what the JTEC allowed for. Note too that the crate motors were SAE Gross HP rated. When the Magnum came out, every review noted how the power was phenomenal compared to the previous TBI engines, despite being not too different on paper.

Reactions: Wildman
The 300hp "Mopar Performance" crate motor version was the exact same engine as the 5.9L Ram engine, but with a different intake (for carb). Same cam, pistons, etc. Only difference was the intake (a single plane) and the ability to run at higher ignition timing than what the JTEC allowed for. Note too that the crate motors were SAE Gross HP rated. When the Magnum came out, every review noted how the power was phenomenal compared to the previous TBI engines, despite being not too different on paper.
So the timing can be tweaked with a tune?

I don't remember the what or why of that statement but this was what was said.

So the timing can be tweaked with a tune?

Yes

EDIT: Remember they were trying to meet tighter emission regulations. There were a few tunes that Dodge came out with that were called the "Death Flash" because they'd tweaked the timing so much that there wasn't any power left.

Reactions: Gollywomper
I don't remember the what or why of that statement but this was what was said.

Yes

EDIT: Remember they were trying to meet tighter emission regulations. There were a few tunes that Dodge came out with that were called the "Death Flash" because they'd tweaked the timing so much that there wasn't any power left.
Hmmm. I wonder what HP a stocker would put out with just a tune?

The magnum engines had tuneablity issues from when OBD 2 came out and Dodge was chasing it's tail trying to fix them. It was a decent engine but when the plenum gasket would blow they would have spark knock. And I think this was before it was realized that the plenum was blowing out causing the spark knock. Plus they has a TSB about the routing of plug wires.

Hmmm. I wonder what HP a stocker would put out with just a tune?

Yes I really wish one of these shows would do a complete rundown but they don't get the support like Chevy or Ford.

Go look at UTAwesme website. He has some numbers posted.

I know my stroker isn't completly stock but I'll be getting it dyno'd once I have it running. Don't expect awesome numbers. The 4WD drivetrain robs a lot more power.

Read this thread, if I remember right he has some dyno numbers in here.

https://tinyurl.com/3r93cfwj

Page 21 has a dyno graph. This is for his mild built 408. He started with a 5.2 and then upgraded along the way. He'd started with a stroker 4.0 and wiped out a cam.

1644376282130.png

Start looking for a Snap On MT2500 scanner. You'll need it to set the fuel sync once you get the engine installed. If you take it to a Dodge dealership it's $100 minimum for them to set it if they even still have the equipment to do so with.
If you get your engine installed prior to finding one just let me know and I'll loan you mine.

Here is an example of what you want. You need the American auto cartridge & at least key #13
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3637106811...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I can relate to the wiped cam lobe issue several times over. Nothing to do with it being a stroker, but it's a consideration. I promise myself if I ever wiped another lobe I was doing a Magnum swap to "fix" it. Then I bought an Eddy head for my 4.7 stroker so I guess I'm going to just keep banging my head against this particular wall 🙁

And I have that scanner for the exact reasons you mentioned (same fuel sync for the 4.0).

I can relate to the wiped cam lobe issue several times over. Nothing to do with it being a stroker, but it's a consideration. I promise myself if I ever wiped another lobe I was doing a Magnum swap to "fix" it. Then I bought an Eddy head for my 4.7 stroker so I guess I'm going to just keep banging my head against this particular wall 🙁

And I have that scanner for the exact reasons you mentioned (same fuel sync for the 4.0).

They are going back up in price too. I'm shocked to see this when about 8 years ago you could get a case full of stuff with a scanner for $150.

I think I paid like $300 shipped for mine. Kept hoping for the DRB3 scan tools to come down in price but that never happened. Just the opposite actually.

And yeah, all the dealers around here were dicks about setting the fuel sync. They all wanted a full hour just to plug the scanner into the obd2 port and read me the number while I adjusted the dizzy. All of 5 min and zero work on their part.

I think I paid like $300 shipped for mine. Kept hoping for the DRB3 scan tools to come down in price but that never happened. Just the opposite actually.

I've got most of the accessories and cartridges plus mine is a the printer option one. I had a spare I gave my son to use on his rigs.

And yeah, all the dealers around here were dicks about setting the fuel sync. They all wanted a full hour just to plug the scanner into the obd2 port and read me the number while I adjusted the dizzy. All of 5 min and zero work on their part.

My local dealer didn't even have a tech that knew how to do it. I was so pissed. And found this out after they'd charged me for an hour of labor.

• Wow
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Checking off many questions here. Seems every time I answer one another comes up. The 2 I can’t seem to find an answer to are, do we keep our stock evap can and valve? And what starter to use with the Dakota bellhousing Ax15 to magnum setup? Just use the correct starter for the motor?

I kept the stock evap can and valve. No issues. For the Dakota bellhousing and AX15 on my 5.9 magnum swap, I used a starter for a Ram 1500. P/N AC Delco 3371100. Worked great. Attached is a parts list and notes I kept as I worked through this. Mine is a 99 swapped from 2.5L and AX5 to 98 5.9 Magnum and AX15. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• V8 engine swap parts list.pdf
    281.4 KB · Views: 212
I kept the stock evap can and valve. No issues. For the Dakota bellhousing and AX15 on my 5.9 magnum swap, I used a starter for a Ram 1500. P/N AC Delco 3371100. Worked great. Attached is a parts list and notes I kept as I worked through this. Mine is a 99 swapped from 2.5L and AX5 to 98 5.9 Magnum and AX15. Hope this helps!
Awesome list. Thank you as I am doing the 5.9 swap right now. You run a open airfilter?

I didn't have a stock air filter box (took off for OBA) so this was me trying to figure out where to put a filter.

IMG00883.jpg

IMG00810.jpg

And honestly a 14" round open filter is about the best if you don't have a stock air filter housing.