Magnum engine questions

OK some new information I found out today. There is a guy up here in Buckly, WA that runs a custom car shop and will make you a wiring harness for around $800 and he supplies the harnesses.
Also I'd been told you couldn't get the EQ heads anymore but that was incorrect. You can't get assembled heads anymore so if you want EQ heads you buy bare heads and then add the parts. And they only make them in the stock valve size. You cannot get the monster heads like I have with the 2.02 intake valve.

And some other suggestions on how to do stuff. We stood outside talking Jeeps for over an hour. He'd put a Hellcat engine in a JK last year that he had pictures of and a video. Awesome rig. For his contact info PM me.

EQ website she’s both assembled and in assembled. But at $600 per assembly there may be better options?

There are 318A, bare heads. And 318AA assembled according to their web page.

Last edited:
I don’t think my 300HP build will be in the realm of aftermarket heads. Have not done much research on it yet though.

EQ website she’s both assembled and in assembled. But at $600 per assembly there may be better options?

There are 318A, bare heads. And 318AA assembled according to their web page.

I don't know. Last I'd heard they weren't made anymore so this was news to me.

I don’t think my 300HP build will be in the realm of aftermarket heads. Have not done much research on it yet though.

It isn't a issue of performance. It's that the stock heads crack. So if you get a engine and find a cracked head the best iron heads offered are the EQ heads.

I don't know. Last I'd heard they weren't made anymore so this was news to me.

It isn't a issue of performance. It's that the stock heads crack. So if you get a engine and find a cracked head the best iron heads offered are the EQ heads.
At $1200 a set assembled why not aluminum?

Reactions: Gollywomper
I lied. Lol. You can get one head for $1k. Lol.
None the less they are more head than my build will need as of now.

I'm just letting everyone know that the EQ heads are available again. The cracking of the stock heads seems to be a hit and miss thing so you may get lucky and not need new heads. You can also get the stock heads repaired from what I've heard but can't confirm it.

If I'd know that all that was wrong with my TJ 8 years ago was a cracked head I could have had it fixed for $1K and been driving it all this time. I'm not telling you to automatically replace the heads but I do suggest that you at least pull them and check them.
And you for sure want to do the plenum gasket.

EDIT: SO I've gotten some bad info of something because here are the heads I bought.

https://www.cylinder-heads.com/prod...magnum-318-360-5-2-5-9-ohv-v8-cylinder-heads/

Last edited:
I'm just letting everyone know that the EQ heads are available again. The cracking of the stock heads seems to be a hit and miss thing so you may get lucky and not need new heads. You can also get the stock heads repaired from what I've heard but can't confirm it.

If I'd know that all that was wrong with my TJ 8 years ago was a cracked head I could have had it fixed for $1K and been driving it all this time. I'm not telling you to automatically replace the heads but I do suggest that you at least pull them and check them.
And you for sure want to do the plenum gasket.
I will go through the motor. Freshen up the bottom end. May go with the EQ heads and a cam plus headers. That will make more than enough power for what I am looking for. The benefit of finding a running rig is that you know all the components are in working condition. The durangos are everywhere around here. Heck there is a 02’ that is wrecked but runs and drives for $350. Lol

I will go through the motor. Freshen up the bottom end. May go with the EQ heads and a cam plus headers. That will make more than enough power for what I am looking for. The benefit of finding a running rig is that you know all the components are in working condition. The durangos are everywhere around here. Heck there is a 02’ that is wrecked but runs and drives for $350. Lol

My Jeep ran great the first 3-4 years I had it running and then it started overheating. So yes it's great to hear it running. I'm just saying there are options if you end up with a cracked head. It could be when you inspect it or later down the road like what happened to me.

So for those who want a wiring harness but am not sure or their wiring capabilities here is a place to get a harness.

SnapBizCard0004.jpg

I just met him but Bill seems like a good guy.

Here is the second episode of Power Nation where they'd built the stroker 5.9. If you remember it only came in at some low numbers with stock heads and intake. Then they hopped it up with a new cam, roller rockers, intake and heads. And MAN does it not disappoint.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Here is the second episode of Power Nation where they'd built the stroker 5.9. If you remember it only came in at some low numbers with stock heads and intake. Then they hopped it up with a new cam, roller rockers, intake and heads. And MAN does it not disappoint.

Those power nation shows are filmed not far from me. I’ve bumped into Pat at Cars and Coffee a couple of times.

Reactions: Wildman
I've driven a CJ5 on 33s with a 360 in it. The engine is nothing special (285 hp?) but it can be a handful...which is just right, IMHO.

The magnum 408 was making a little more than that. Should be FUN.