Mahindra Roxor news

I am rather (in)famous for my anti-technology rants. I made my living from my teenaged years all the way through to (early) retirement in the "high technology" field - I really don't have a problem with technology when it makes sense and improves my life. Car tech ain't it. I was an avid subscriber to "Automobile" magazine from just after its inception until 2016 - when I wrote them a letter wishing them well, but that I was no-longer interested in new cars because of all the expensive, unreliable, and un-necessary "technology".

Yes - the "package mentality" of the North American automotive market is a huge part of the problem as well. Its my understanding that elsewhere in the world, ordering a car by LINE ITEM is the norm. Packages are now killing the cable TV business as consumers opt to stream by essentially "line item" instead of having to buy 100 channels you don't want to get the 2 that you do. I'm hoping the same happens to the car business.

The only "technology" I want in a car is A/C and cruise control. I don't want effete affectations such as all the power crap, automatic transmissions, computerized "driver assist" crap, I detest leather and loathe power seats, and most of all I don't want a gigantic i-Phone on my dashboard or some kind of subscription plan I have to pay for. Full disclosure: I am a smartphone refusenik as well. Most overpriced, crippled, useless gadget ever devised.

What really gripes me is the cost of the electronics. I'll be the first to admit that the now universal computer controlled engines run and cold start a lot better than the "good old days". The computer costs $100 or less to make, but is priced obscenely when you have to replace it - and you WILL have to replace it sooner or later. Long term, electronics are NOT reliable, I've fixed enough to know this. Never mind the bug ridden software that is found in everything these days, with latency, latency, latency everywhere. The code monkeys grinding this crap out apparently not only didn't pass CS-101, many obviously didn't even *take* CS-101. Examples are legion. Adding a microprocessor to everything whether or not it actually benefits from one is just crazy. Adding a touch screen to a car is ludicrous, even the CarCos are starting to figure this out and the "safetycrats" are having a field day on this subject!

Thus I consider the Roxor to be a pretty much perfect vehicle!

Blah, blah, blah - I could go on for days - I'll try to shutup and not bore everybody (including myself)!
You seem to have an interesting life, early techno retired belly dancer.

• Haha
Reactions: Tob and Zorba

There is no doubt or question as to the fitness of the vehicle. That isn't the problem which is whether they can sell a knock off of a Jeep in Jeep's backyard and the answer is no, no you can't.

There is no doubt or question as to the fitness of the vehicle. That isn't the problem which is whether they can sell a knock off of a Jeep in Jeep's backyard and the answer is no, no you can't.
Its my *understanding* that they are actually licensed - or were, or something - to build Jeeps from way back. But even if that's not valid, they're not making anything like FCA's current products. FCA needs to build something similar, then they'd have something to gripe about. As it is, as far as I'm concerned, they can STFU.

Snort! Yea, I have a lot of interests. I collect old sewing machines and like working on my 102 year old piano as well. My high school electronics teacher always said that I was born 50 years too late!
I’m getting to the point I don’t want any more technology in my vehicles except for HP increasers.

I have no desire to upgrade cell phones because mine does more than I need it to, except mine is now having battery issues.

Reactions: TJ2
Its my *understanding* that they are actually licensed - or were, or something - to build Jeeps from way back. But even if that's not valid, they're not making anything like FCA's current products. FCA needs to build something similar, then they'd have something to gripe about. As it is, as far as I'm concerned, they can STFU.
Yes, they were licensed as long as they were not sold in the US.

I am rather (in)famous for my anti-technology rants. I made my living from my teenaged years all the way through to (early) retirement in the "high technology" field - I really don't have a problem with technology when it makes sense and improves my life. Car tech ain't it. I was an avid subscriber to "Automobile" magazine from just after its inception until 2016 - when I wrote them a letter wishing them well, but that I was no-longer interested in new cars because of all the expensive, unreliable, and un-necessary "technology".

Yes - the "package mentality" of the North American automotive market is a huge part of the problem as well. Its my understanding that elsewhere in the world, ordering a car by LINE ITEM is the norm. Packages are now killing the cable TV business as consumers opt to stream by essentially "line item" instead of having to buy 100 channels you don't want to get the 2 that you do. I'm hoping the same happens to the car business.

The only "technology" I want in a car is A/C and cruise control. I don't want effete affectations such as all the power crap, automatic transmissions, computerized "driver assist" crap, I detest leather and loathe power seats, and most of all I don't want a gigantic i-Phone on my dashboard or some kind of subscription plan I have to pay for. Full disclosure: I am a smartphone refusenik as well. Most overpriced, crippled, useless gadget ever devised.

What really gripes me is the cost of the electronics. I'll be the first to admit that the now universal computer controlled engines run and cold start a lot better than the "good old days". The computer costs $100 or less to make, but is priced obscenely when you have to replace it - and you WILL have to replace it sooner or later. Long term, electronics are NOT reliable, I've fixed enough to know this. Never mind the bug ridden software that is found in everything these days, with latency, latency, latency everywhere. The code monkeys grinding this crap out apparently not only didn't pass CS-101, many obviously didn't even *take* CS-101. Examples are legion. Adding a microprocessor to everything whether or not it actually benefits from one is just crazy. Adding a touch screen to a car is ludicrous, even the CarCos are starting to figure this out and the "safetycrats" are having a field day on this subject!

Blah, blah, blah - I could go on for days - I'll try to shutup and not bore everybody (including myself)!
I need to improve my reading comprehension.
Sounds like you conflict yourself in so many ways, or I just had one too many beer.

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
Technology in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. My main gripe today is that there is no way to opt out. That and how everything seems to be "bundled". I understand that it makes manufacturing easier and increases profits for manufacturers, but the increasingly integrated cars that are sold today has me question vehicle longevity in general. The base level cars do run well and are pretty comfortable, but they also have gotten expensive. I also feel that modern car styling had evolved to a point where it doesn't excite me, including Jeeps. I think I'm just getting old.

Planned obsolescence is what it is. We’ve had many discussions (you and I) about this.

I agree though that it would be nice if they made a way to opt out of all the tech. Improvements in technology is a good thing, but being able to opt out might also be a good thing.

Reactions: Zorba