Maintenance schedule B oil change interval?

James9100

TJ Enthusiast
So the TJ owners manual says that if you’re doing frequent drives of less than 10 miles you should be changing your oil every 3000 miles.
My drive to work is about 3.5 miles, so 7ish miles per day, plus some short runarounds for work during the day.
So quite a bit of starting and stopping, and definitely short drives.
In my case would the 3000 mile oil change interval really be necessary? Or would you guys still go every 5000?

Reactions: SSTJ
My drive to work is about 3.5 miles, so 7ish miles per day, plus some short runarounds for work during the day.

That's a rather harsh life for a vehicle. That type of use would be classified as "severe" in most FSM. Those constant short trip never allow the vehicle to get to full temp (engine and drivetrain), thus the fluids retain moisture since they can't boil it off. Your battery will also not be fully recharged, which will shorten its life. You're probably getting around 4 years out of a battery.

I recommend two things; 1) start purposely taking an extended (30 minute) drive once a week. 2) change your oil at 2,500-3,000 miles. A change interval of 2,500, I would be ok with running the filter to 5,000, so a filter every other change, which is how I do with my stuff.

3000 miles is the correct answer.

I'll also mention that short mile trips don't heat up the engine enough to burn off the condensation (and other stuff?) that's lurking in your oil. Multiple short trips in cold or even cool weather just keep adding to it. I think a good 15 to 20 mile trip at least once a week should help with that.

Edit to say that BlueC beat me by a couple of seconds.

I recommend two things; 1) start purposely taking an extended (30 minute) drive once a week.

I think a good 15 to 20 mile trip at least once a week should help with that.

So for that 30min/15-20 mile trip, would you say that needs to be a straight trip? I make a 20 mile round trip once per week on the weekend but there’s about an hour break between the 10 miles there and 10 back. Would that still be sufficient for burning off the moisture?
Great answers, thanks!

So for that 30min/15-20 mile trip, would you say that needs to be a straight trip? I make a 20 mile round trip once per week on the weekend but there’s about an hour break between the 10 miles there and 10 back. Would that still be sufficient for burning off the moisture?
Great answers, thanks!

Personally, I would drive it continuously for at least 30 minutes at least once per week. I agree with the above posts regarding frequency of oil changes.

Great answers, thanks!

Everything needs time to get up to temperature and stay there long enough, and depending on ambient temperature that could take a while, especially up north, so yeah I think that needs to be a solid 30 minute trip. Remember it's not just engine oil, the trans and differentials need to get up to temp too, and the old school rule for recharging a battery is 5 miles or 15 minutes of run time.

Really good answers guys. Will for sure be doing 3k mile oil changes as well as trying to get in a 30min drive once per week.
So… TECHNICALLY under my conditions the manual says 3k miles OR every 3 MONTHS for an oil change (whichever comes first).
Answers so far has been 3k miles but since no one has mentioned the 3 months I figured I’d get the experts opinion on it…
Would 3 months be really necessary? Because I definitely hit 3 months before putting on 3k miles.

Would 3 months be really necessary? Because I definitely hit 3 months before putting on 3k miles.

No. I believe that is just an additional way to deal with moisture/acid/fuel buildup. I find it to be overkill. Now if it takes 3 years to get to 3,000 miles, then yes I suggest changing it somewhere 12-24 months. Again, I think that's mostly to deal with moisture/acid/fuel buildup, which is in part a result of not getting things hot now and then.

Vehicles that don't get used and/or up to temp regularly often start dying from the inside out.

I had recently been wondering the same thing, since my most frequent trip is about 1.5 miles. Helpful answers on this thread.

Follow-up question: I take it that engine oil isn't the only fluid we're talking about here. Surely there are other differences in the B-Schedule, right? I'll pull it up and check.

I recommend a 3000 mile oil change no matter what the driving conditions are.
I go along with a 3K mile oil change for harsh conditions but definitely not for normal driving where conditions are non-dusty and the trips are long enough that the engine gets fully warmed up. That 3,000 mile interval for normal driving only came along after quick-lube places like Jiffy Lube started pushing it to increase their sales. Now some believe that's how it should be for all driving needs, not just harsh conditions but it's simply not needed. My usual interval has always, for the past 50+ years of driving, been every 5k miles unless I've been offroad in dirty/dusty conditions where I'll change it at 3k miles.

I had recently been wondering the same thing, since my most frequent trip is about 1.5 miles. Helpful answers on this thread.

Follow-up question: I take it that engine oil isn't the only fluid we're talking about here. Surely there are other differences in the B-Schedule, right? I'll pull it up and check.

Change ALL fluids once if you rarely drive it. Oil more often. My Jeep got driven 1200 miles in two years (when I sold it). PO changed the oil twice while it sat in his garage.

Reactions: BlueC
I had recently been wondering the same thing, since my most frequent trip is about 1.5 miles.

Not being a smart ass, I would walk that one on nice days.

Follow-up question: I take it that engine oil isn't the only fluid we're talking about here. Surely there are other differences in the B-Schedule, right?

Correct, but I'm not sure what the Jeep FSM specifically recommends. All vehicle fluids have various break-downs and buildups. Even your coolant will suffer from electrolysis over time. Standard DOT3/4 brake fluid is hygroscopic and will eventually corrode the system from the inside if left unchecked. Power steering fluid often gets overlooked, but I cycle some out every time I change transmission fluid, some FSM recommend the same others don't address it.

So the TJ owners manual says that if you’re doing frequent drives of less than 10 miles you should be changing your oil every 3000 miles.
So quite a bit of starting and stopping, and definitely short drives.
In my case would the 3000 mile oil change interval really be necessary? Or would you guys still go every 5000?

We would like you to be on the 2004 and later schedule we ratified in 2016, which is now schedule A1- 2016 R, or change jobs. It is in the last forum handbook.

I read that most accidents happen within 2 miles of home, so I moved 4 miles away. I have felt a lot safer. Except for when I tripped on an up escalator, I fell down the stairs for like 2 hours.

We would like you to be on the 2004 and later schedule we ratified in 2016, which is now schedule A1- 2016 R, or change jobs. It is in the last forum handbook.

I read that most accidents happen within 2 miles of home, so I moved 4 miles away. I have felt a lot safer. Except for when I tripped on an up escalator, I fell down the stairs for like 2 hours.
You and Mark @Wranglerfix need to go on the comedy club tour together. 🤩🤣

No. I believe that is just an additional way to deal with moisture/acid/fuel buildup. I find it to be overkill. Now if it takes 3 years to get to 3,000 miles, then yes I suggest changing it somewhere 12-24 months. Again, I think that's mostly to deal with moisture/acid/fuel buildup, which is in part a result of not getting things hot now and then.

Vehicles that don't get used and/or up to temp regularly often start dying from the inside out.

Totally agree, great answer. Thanks man!