Making the headunit / stereo as water-resistant as possible ideas

Dylandelange15

Hi guys, i am a new member to this forum, but i've been watching ever since i got my Jeep. But now i really got a question that i really haven't seen around. So i've really been wanting to make a single din stereo so water resistant as possible because i just got my stereo wet and got damaged by it because i really wanted to wash inside of my jeep becuase i went mudding and there were muds everywhere and on the dash.

Anyways.. While i'm still thinking to take my stereo to a technician so they can fix it and then i could try to seal it with silicone at the back and around. And also buy a splashproof marine cover.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R356VA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

But..i haven't seen any jeep with this cover to see if it fits before i buy it..anyone has experience with that cover in their jeeps?

Second..also thinking about buying a whole new stereo marine based..but even if i get that i would want to have that marine cover on it..anndd for the back and top protection without having to silicone it i was thinking about a pocket dash mount and see if the radio fits in it so i can use it as an enclosure?

I would have to diy it but i am really curious about the dimensions and if the radio can fit inside or something similiar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C86IL14/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks in advance guys! I would really appreciate any answer and any other ideas.

You can always go with a marine-rated stereo receiver and speakers designed for use in boats.
I have a Clarion m-508 marine unit that I may be selling shortly.
I don’t know how well one of those covers will work seeing as the radio sits back a bit from the front of the dash.

Reactions: Ephry73
You can always go with a marine-rated stereo receiver and speakers designed for use in boats.
I have a Clarion m-508 marine unit that I may be selling shortly.
I don’t know how well one of those covers will work seeing as the radio sits back a bit from the front of the dash.
Thank you for your reply, and how well does your unit holds with splashes? Cause know i will be getting water from the top of the dash and that is what i'm trying to protect more than the front if it's already marine rated

Keep in mind your Jeep is full of electronics and databuses, it's not designed for lots of water exposure.

Most speakers sold for automotive use are made with mylar or polyurethane speaker cones so they are already highly resistant to water damage so there's no real need to pay more for marine speakers. Make sure the cones are made from mylar or polyurethane and not paper as some speakers are.

Keep in mind your Jeep is full of electronics and databuses, it's not designed for lots of water exposure.

Most speakers sold for automotive use are made with mylar or polyurethane speaker cones so they are already highly resistant to water damage so there's no real need to pay more for marine speakers. Make sure the cones are made from mylar or polyurethane and not paper as some speakers are.
My speakers are okey, and yes they are made from polyurethane and my receiver i can't do much about to protect it and that's what worries me.

Yep, I agree with what Jerry said. Buy a marine rated stereo.

If you're spraying water on the inside of your Jeep though, you're going to have a ton of other issues down the road, this I can promise you. That's not what you want to hear, but it's the reality.

Yep, I agree with what Jerry said. Buy a marine rated stereo.

If you're spraying water on the inside of your Jeep though, you're going to have a ton of other issues down the road, this I can promise you. That's not what you want to hear, but it's the reality.
Alright, thanks

Reactions: Chris
Thank you for your reply, and how well does your unit holds with splashes? Cause know i will be getting water from the top of the dash and that is what i'm trying to protect more than the front if it's already marine rated

I haven’t had it out in the elements so I cannot comment really on the durability. but it does have a plastic / vinyl card-like structure covering on the top of the deck- my guess it just deflects any water down and around the unit rather than into it.
I think the main circuit board and other components may also be made of corrosion-resistant materials.

I actually purchased it because of the aesthetics- it looks like an early 2000s stock deck. That said, I’m likely going to be swapping it out for an Alpine deck.

Marine head unit

Black letters on light background or you can't see the digital readout with the top off (like Marine rated units)

I haven’t had it out in the elements so I cannot comment really on the durability. but it does have a plastic / vinyl card-like structure covering on the top of the deck- my guess it just deflects any water down and around the unit rather than into it.
I think the main circuit board and other components may also be made of corrosion-resistant materials.

I actually purchased it because of the aesthetics- it looks like an early 2000s stock deck. That said, I’m likely going to be swapping it out for an Alpine deck.
Owh, i get it. Nice one tho

I've never seen any Jeep with a cover over the stereo. Quite a few with the stereo hidden in a locking console.

I've owned lots of boats & had stereos in all of them. The covers like the one you showed above were always a PITA..... holding the cover up with one hand, while you make whatever adjustments you want with the other. They also make retractable covers that are a lot easier to handle one handed.

I have a Sony deck in my current boat. It's 9 yrs old & still hasn't had problems like that. I clean the boat interior all the time, it goes thru water balloon fights, subbed the bow a few times, etc. Still works great. The only thing "marine" rated is the conformal coating on the internal electronics.

My YJ just had a plane ol stereo and I never had any water issues. Now if you drive it all the time w/o any type of top whatsoever it may be a problem. But if you run a bikini or Safari top you should be fine :)

I sure miss driving that little 4 banger, it was a sleeper. 4 cyl and 33's, but hidden were 4:88's and ARB's F&R :)

IMG_2141 (1).JPG

fcd94c1f-6c6e-4606-a961-d7890184186f_zpsk0arwunh.JPG

Reactions: BoundlessBasu
Guys, along time ago i made it possible to cover my single din radio with a marine radio cover:ROFLMAO::p
I forgot to post about it, but soon i will be taking a photo of it.

It has been holding water splasher very well for me when i wash my car inside or when it rains.
Fits like a glove and with minor modifications.
drill 4 holes
use 4 screws or bolt whatever you wish to hold it to dash center panel.
and fill some silicone and hot glue on some edges and gaps.

I get a lot of comments that it looks good on there and some people asking me what the hell is that and when i tell them about it they about how a good idea it is.

Last edited: