Manual transmission leaking

Sphinx

Hi guys! I do some welding on my jeep this weekend. I take out the exhaust for a better job. When i want to re-install it, i remove the catalyst support for an easy installation...i found a leak on my transmission, where the 4 bolts of the bracket are...i don't have my phone to take a picture (maybe tomorrow) but from what you know, is this a commun way to leak on this transmission (4.0L manual transmission)? and someone already repair it?

Cant say Ive had that issue on my 97 however its possible when the hole was drilled and tapped they went thru all the way into the case. My old dodge D200 had a few exhaust mani bolt holes like that. You'll need to use some kind of sealer on the bolt threads to stop the leak if thats what it is.

So this is the place that seems to leak...
8EF16E9E-88EF-4A44-8C8E-131A1518BF73.jpeg

1A64EB07-2EFC-4D26-9610-5E82B1CB0B18.jpeg

F3F7004F-A063-4E2D-9452-112DF4B81F08.jpeg

10E86944-AC0D-4D05-9BD1-27F7255E9F27.jpeg

0B18B041-F0FC-4963-8E2A-20FBB6F8B112.jpeg

Was there a rock or something jammed in there that wore a hole thru the case? That green/yellowish crud looks like sulfur residue or something.....weird.

No rocks, but something like aluminium and steel reaction...and the transmission casing appears to be corroded...i send picture to my welder, i waiting his calls...

That's interesting/unfortunate. That area was wet last time I pulled my AX15 to change the clutch. And I have a newer one from 2016. Hope I don't have the same issue, I was stumped because I didn't understand how it could possibly get wet in that area. I wiped it up and hoped for the best. Guess I need to investigate again.

I wonder what is up above that hole it's pouring from that wore out? I would think metal would have had to wear away in that location because it's not like there's a seal or any other purposeful hole there.

That's interesting/unfortunate. That area was wet last time I pulled my AX15 to change the clutch. And I have a newer one from 2016. Hope I don't have the same issue, I was stumped because I didn't understand how it could possibly get wet in that area. I wiped it up and hoped for the best. Guess I need to investigate again.

I wonder what is up above that hole it's pouring from that wore out? I would think metal would have had to wear away in that location because it's not like there's a seal or any other purposeful hole there.
Looks like excessive corrosion. Previous pictures showed a lot of scale and crap packed in there (probably salt and dirt) last pic shows that area scraped/cleaned out...

Looks like excessive corrosion. Previous pictures showed a lot of scale and crap packed in there (probably salt and dirt) last pic shows that area scraped/cleaned out...
Could be, as for mine there should be no corrosion at all. 6 years of minimal use (maybe 30k miles) and redline MT90. No real stress to it. Looking, it would have to be a crack in the 4WD housing if it's not a leak at the bolt connection where the housing bolts up to the mid piece on the trans.

Look at the pic looking inside the housing....at the bottom would be the top of where the trans mount holes go. If it's leaking there, would have to be a crack in housing.

1646837615825.png

1646837631388.png

This is the underside of the housing when it's all clean. I'm guessing you have a crack in the rectangular portion. Gonna probably need to install a new 4X4 tail housing, or get another transmission.

1646838750122.png

Good morning guys...some news:

First of all, here in Qc, Canada, our winter road (full of sand and salt) are very hard on the steel of our vehicule. After taking out my AX15 for more investigation, i can say that my transmission is not scrap.

One of my friend is a welder and he is very good! He save my transmission with a 1 hour job (he was not finish to grind the parts)
6B46CC0F-1C8C-4F8A-B65D-E299948DED2F.jpeg